True Detective

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Season 1 is arguably the best single season of TV ever made.

This show was always somewhat "doomed" after that masterpiece.

• 11Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 12 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Season 1 is arguably the best single season of TV ever made.

This show was always somewhat "doomed" after that masterpiece.
This and Firefly and if you have never seen Firefly don't watch it you will hate the fact it only had one season and a movie.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 5 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Colin Farrel in S2 was some of the best acting Ive ever seen. Ray Velcoro is a TV legend and one of the best written and acted characters in TV history.

• 4Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Pathetic

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
LOL I remember when that first season was airing people were going nuts looking for hints and clues in the episodes. Hidden symbols, witchcraft, voodoo, reading into all sorts of other shit and all it ended up being is a simple murder mystery in the end. Eather way S1 was classic in my book simply because of McConoghay and Harrelson.
Season 1 this thread was one of my favorites ha we were all about the mystery and every little hint back then here.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Colin Farrel in S2 was some of the best acting Ive ever seen. Ray Velcoro is a TV legend and one of the best written and acted characters in TV history.
He was great. It's the rest of the shit that was an issue.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
LOL I remember when that first season was airing people were going nuts looking for hints and clues in the episodes. Hidden symbols, witchcraft, voodoo, reading into all sorts of other shit and all it ended up being is a simple murder mystery in the end. Eather way S1 was classic in my book simply because of McConoghay and Harrelson.
Honestly, True Detective season 1 and Lost are very similar. I think True Detective gets a pass because it was just a single season.

But both ended in disappointment that the mysteries were all bullshit. If not for the forum discussions and speculation, was season 1 even all that good?

• 2WTF
  • 1Like
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 4 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The forum speculation was entertaining, but people had to be pretty bad at watching TV to think season 1 was actually going to end up with some literal devil summoning voodoo mysticism or some shit. Actually, I guess that's why the forum speculation was entertaining?

Half the point seemed to be the theme that people will fall prey to all sorts of bizarre shit to explain or rationalize basic human evil. Part of the brilliance I guess was how meta it was.

True Detective is the gift that keeps on giving online. The actual show is amazing to rewatch for what it always actually was, though.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
True detective has just gotten progressively worse the further from season 1 it got. Not high hopes for season 4. Episode 1 was of course never going to have some kind of sudden sci fi/fantasy twist. It was great suspense by playing on those undertones combined with solid dialogue and acting.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think S1 could have had a horror/metaphysical/surreal ending as opposed to the one we got. For example, the ending in the film The Wailing where the man in the cave reveals himself to be a literal demon was well done imo. Cohle chasing the killer into some kind of version of Dante's Inferno could have worked if executed well.

• 1Barf
  • 1Dislike

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
True detective has just gotten progressively worse the further from season 1 it got. Not high hopes for season 4. Episode 1 was of course never going to have some kind of sudden sci fi/fantasy twist. It was great suspense by playing on those undertones combined with solid dialogue and acting.
S3 was way better than S2, not sure how you can say "progressively worse."

Regardless, all 3 seasons were much better than most garbage on TV.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Nah just started out better. By the end it was worse, a woke mess

• 4Picard
  • 2Like
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 6 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
The first season would definitely have been greatly diminished if there was actually was some type of supernatural element in the world. I'm very glad it didn't go that route.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shit if you like Farrel in that you should check out In Bruges if you haven't already. Probably the most underrated dark comedy ever.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
All right you talked me into it. I'm rewatching S1.

• 4Like

iamacynic37

FoH Honkler - HONK HONK MFr
<Banned>
True Detective Season One was literally the best anti-pedophilia propaganda sagas ever made.

There were more seasons? Huh. Looked like total trash, will watch season 1 again now.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Takes you back to the good old days when HBO put naked women in the opening credits of their shows.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Hard to say if this will be good based on the trailer. The show relies so heavily on chemistry between the actors. And it appears to be lacking here.

• 1Like
  • 1EyeRoll

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Hard to say if this will be good based on the trailer. The show relies so heavily on chemistry between the actors. And it appears to be lacking here.

I'm not going to throw it under the bus based on a few teaser lines of dialogue...

But god damn, the gravitas was lacking with Jodie Foster. Feels like if the CW did a cop procedural. Didn't feel like an HBO True Detective installment. Hate S2 or S3 all you want, but the gravity of the acting was apparent immediately and suited for the tone of the franchise. This didn't give me that feeling.

If this is anything to go by, Jodie's performance is less than stellar. Mid at best, CW at worst.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eh, looked fine to me, and I will be watching. HBO still makes the best shit, even when it isn't their top tier effort.

Season 1: 10/10
Season 2: 4/10
Season 3: 6/10

I'd take a 7+ from this show and probably be happy.

• 3Like