True Detective

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Is it? Better than watching and deciding for yourself after a few episodes, rather than relying on great minds such as, *checks notes*, @Chukzombi
Yes, really. This forum has an excellent track record on TV and movie recommendations. I have a hard time thinking of a case where the consensus got it wrong.

The only exceptions I can come up with are really debatable, like the board consensus was right about the show overall but gave it too much of a free pass on a dumb ending. And that shits fine tuning.

At a thumbs up / thumbs down level? Pretty sure the forum consensus is 10/10

• 1Clown World
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yes, really. This forum has an excellent track record on TV and movie recommendations. I have a hard time thinking of a case where the consensus got it wrong.

Even if that were true - there will be very few instances where waiting for sufficient episodes to have been aired so that a majority consensus can form is preferable to just watching the first few episodes and deciding for yourself.

First you have to wait for each episode to be released, you have to read the thread including spoilers, and if a significant spoiler is revealed then you've impacted your own potential enjoyment. Unless you're one of those freaks that prefers to read up on plots before they watch a movie/tv

The one argument you could make in favour is that this board mostly consists of washed up eq boomers so all their tastes are mostly aligned.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even if that were true - there will be very few instances where waiting for sufficient episodes to have been aired so that a majority consensus can form is preferable to just watching the first few episodes and deciding for yourself.

First you have to wait for each episode to be released, you have to read the thread including spoilers, and if a significant spoiler is revealed then you've impacted your own potential enjoyment. Unless you're one of those freaks that prefers to read up on plots before they watch a movie/tv

The one argument you could make in favour is that this board mostly consists of washed up eq boomers so all their tastes are mostly aligned.
You can skim a thread and not get spoilers (most of the time) by reading the first line, the first few words, or just scroll past that user altogether, depending on the person. Otherwise you can wait until the last episode has aired and then skip to the last page of the thread and see what people are saying, using the same method of skimming the posts and working backward.

That way you are spending hardly any time on shows that turn out to be trash or uninterest you in particular, instead of an hour or two watching the first couple episodes.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Otherwise you can wait until the last episode has aired and then skip to the last page of the thread and see what people are saying, using the same method of skimming the posts and working backward.

The initial time investment of 45-60 minutes for the pilot is considerably less time invested than waiting 10+ weeks for an entire series to air. It's too risky as well, imagine having Neds death or the Red Wedding spoiled for you.

I just don't see any benefit or advantage. There may well be shows that in hindsight were an obvious waste of time e.g Rings of Power or Secret Invasion but the strength of their franchise brands is what compelled people to keep watching.

This method also doesn't work if a show doesn't get traction here or even mentioned. Gomorrah is undoubtedly one of the greatest series of the golden age, up there with The Wire and Sopranos, but the thread only has 3k views

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The initial time investment of 45-60 minutes for the pilot is considerably less time invested than waiting 10+ weeks for an entire series to air. It's too risky as well, imagine having Neds death or the Red Wedding spoiled for you.

I just don't see any benefit or advantage. There may well be shows that in hindsight were an obvious waste of time e.g Rings of Power or Secret Invasion but the strength of their franchise brands is what compelled people to keep watching.

This method also doesn't work if a show doesn't get traction here or even mentioned. Gomorrah is undoubtedly one of the greatest series of the golden age, up there with The Wire and Sopranos, but the thread only has 3k views
Waiting 10 weeks means absolutely nothing if real life friends and coworkers aren't talking about it. I have no problem avoiding spoilers on shows I only have a small interest in.

For example, I have seen zero spoilers for this show outside of this thread. I have been skimming out of habit, since I liked the first season, but I lost all interest in actually watching it, after people were saying there was overt stupid supernatural shit, right off the bat. Likewise, Reacher S2 & For All Mankind S4 has had zero talk/spoilers, outside of that thread, and skimming them make it sounds like they would be of little interest to me.

Also, I prefer to watch a whole season within a single week, at the most, and find waiting 7+ days between episode much more annoying than waiting 10 weeks at the start. For some rare shows interest is so high, it's almost impossible to wait, but that's maybe 1 show per year these days.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I'm confused how not watching something for 10 weeks takes literally any time at all?

Because it literally requires 10 weeks of not watching it until you can watch it then you could already have watched it by then?

It's like a retards version of delayed gratification

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

waiting 10 weeks is not a time investment. youre doing something else during that time

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Because it literally requires 10 weeks of not watching it until you can watch it then you could already have watched it by then?

It's like a retards version of delayed gratification

not doing something for 10 weeks is not a "requirement"

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
not doing something for 10 weeks is not a "requirement"

Not watching each episode of a weekly show until the entire series is released is an act of abstinence, that requires discipline and willpower in order to suceed.

Me not watching the NBA is not a requirement because I have no interest in it. But intentionally not watching a show so you can binge it all at once, or because you want to wait for a bunch of washed up EQ boomers to give their opinion first suggests some level of interest is attached to that show.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Not watching each episode of a weekly show until the entire series is released is an act of abstinence, that requires discipline and willpower in order to suceed.

no it doesnt. you need willpower not to watch a TV show?

Me not watching the NBA is not a requirement because I have no interest in it. But intentionally not watching a show so you can binge it all at once, or because you want to wait for a bunch of washed up EQ boomers to give their opinion first suggests some level of interest is attached to that show.

sure there is some minimal interest, but it doesnt require willpower.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
no it doesnt. you need willpower not to watch a TV show?

if episodes of "how to suck Putins cock until he jizzes all over your face" was being released on HBO on a weekly basis and being discussed here then you would obviously find it hard to restrain yourself from watching each episode on a weekly basis.

• 1Pathetic

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
interesting how you project your lack of self control on others

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Season 1 2 and 3 had already hit the ground running in this thread by this point in the season.

This clearly isn't the "watercooler" show anymore in Season 4 if this is the current state of the thread.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Decided there was no reason to continue season 3. Booooring.

1 episode into season 4. This is a completely different show than seasons 2 or 3. A much, much better show.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
After 3 episodes, I am leaning toward this show being good. It is pretty entertaining in the very least. Jodie Foster has the presence to carry the show and I buy Navarro. She is a great actor and a good character.

It is still more 'Twilight Zone' than resembling the first 3 seasons of TD, but it has been done well so far. My only concern at this point is that in the end they will not pay off all the supernatural stuff. The conclusion will very much be grounded in the real world with real world answers to everything. The show is going to go Scooby-Do on us by showing ghosts & ghouls all along the way, only to have the mask pulled off at the end and it was the asshole's who own the mine and their muscle that tried to scare the community into compliance.

Hopefully the train stays on the track. They are off to a good start.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Same boat as everyone else; it's not the same show as S1 but it doesn't need to be, been enjoying it so far. I love Jodi in everything she's in, and Navarro isn't as bad as I expected her to be.

• 2Like

Juvarisx

Florida
Based on the ending to that episode I am firmly not in the "forgotten arctic virus" camp. The practical effects this season have been stellar, between the screaming half dead dude still stuck in the ice and the pile of corpses in the arena. Also, really starting to like Navarro, her arc makes sense and the actress is playin it great.

• 2Like