True Detective

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
how many 8 year olds make their dolls rape one another?
Rewatch the scene immediately after, and I think you'll better understand why that scene was there. Cohle describes how he thinks his daughter was spared, dying a happy child instead of growing up in the 'thresher' that is life, and being damaged.

Surely there can be a middle ground where people can feel a bit let down with the finale while also not having participated in the wild theory crafting. I mean seriously, it's easy to say now the series was just "Brokeback Bayou" - a tale of man love, betrayal, redemption, and child rape. But fuck man, without Carcosa, the Yellow King, and the mystery surrounding it all, the series wouldn't have hooked us all in. Some of us feel the mystery was given short shrift in the finale, that's all.
The mythology was neat, but I figured most people were attracted to the different philosophical theories presented by Rust.

I do think the case and resolution has a lot more depth and closure than most people are giving credit for, however. I mean, the show started with the investigation of Dora Lange, and that's exactly what they solved.

I also really like Errol's place in the series, and don't think people are giving him enough credit for how he ties in to the entire story. As weird as it may sound - he was also a victim. Raised in a fucked up abusive occultist family that sacrificed kids to some secretive mythos.

"You know what they did to me? What I would do to all the sons and daughters of man."

He is precisely the way he is, because he was raised in a fucked up family. The sins of a father being repeated by the son. He wanted to die (ascend), in part, to get out of the ever repeating loop.

"My ascension removes me from the disc in the loop - I'm near final stage. Some mornings, I can see the infernal plane."

Now, although it wasn't completely spelled out, I also got the impression that his wife/sister was aborting/killing the 'flowers' that he planted in that disgusting room with the bathtub, bloody blankets, and dozens of air fresheners. To me this also suggested that Errol didn't want to 'loop' to continue past him.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Surely there can be a middle ground where people can feel a bit let down with the finale while also not having participated in the wild theory crafting. I mean seriously, it's easy to say now the series was just "Brokeback Bayou" - a tale of man love, betrayal, redemption, and child rape. But fuck man, without Carcosa, the Yellow King, and the mystery surrounding it all, the series wouldn't have hooked us all in. Some of us feel the mystery was given short shrift in the finale, that's all.
nope, either you are a complete moron who looks at everything as a sign of something sinister or you are a total boss who knows what everything is about from the first time you see it. there is no in between on this board.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Watching this right now. Didn't have time to watch as it aired, unfortunately. I like the dual timeline so far. Avoiding most posts in here, I'll agree that theorizing is part of the fun.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
nope, either you are a complete moron who looks at everything as a sign of something sinister or you are a total boss who knows what everything is about from the first time you see it. there is no in between on this board.
I quit. I'll send you a PM. Yeah. Fuck this. Fuck this board. Nice post, Astro.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Meh. Like I said, I had it totally wrong in the beginning. I actually read parts of that short story, I was into it. It is kind of a huge letdown to me that it isn't some big, Lovecraftian mythos thing. But it is what it is, and taken for what it is outside of my own shit that I brought into it, it is really fucking good.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Whatever happened to ol' Ginger, anyway?
I didn't think of myself as an overly attentive viewer, but I thought it was fairly plainly spelled out that Ginger pledged a Wookie life debt to Cohle after their successful escape from the drug raid, and that even up until the day Cohle and Hart went to Errol's place he was tailing Cohle, and that Ginger was the one inside the outhouse breathing heavily, but then he ran off to the main road after hearing Hart yell about the phone (killing the dog en route) so that he could make an anonymous call to the police and get the boys some much needed backup.

i mean jeez did you even watch the show

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I didn't think of myself as an overly attentive viewer, but I thought it was fairly plainly spelled out that Ginger pledged a Wookie life debt to Cohle after their successful escape from the drug raid, and that even up until the day Cohle and Hart went to Errol's place he was tailing Cohle, and that Ginger was the one inside the outhouse breathing heavily, but then he ran off to the main road after hearing Hart yell about the phone (killing the dog en route) so that he could make an anonymous call to the police and get the boys some much needed backup.

i mean jeez did you even watch the show
This checks out. It was all written out very clearly by the dirty laundry the daughter threw down to her mother in the finale.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Meh. Like I said, I had it totally wrong in the beginning. I actually read parts of that short story, I was into it. It is kind of a huge letdown to me that it isn't some big, Lovecraftian mythos thing. But it is what it is, and taken for what it is outside of my own shit that I brought into it, it is really fucking good.
I think we catch a glimpse of Cthulhu's world as Rust stares into the cosmos at the end.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Figures. Supertouch not understanding something. Supertouch, tell us why you were really disappointed in True Detective. Not enough trannies?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Oh, shut the fuck up, you Canadian twat. It was a stupid scene and means nothing from a metaphysical standpoint. Nic Pizzolatto borrowed everything from Lovecraft so it was probably a nod to that mythos.
It actually has nothing to do with Cthulhu, its a great scene, it means a ton, (as alluded to in last 10 minutes of finale).

So you're basically wrong on everything.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Or option 3(The Houston Astro): You think a child playing with her naked Barbie dolls means she was subjected to rape trains.

Fingz_sl

shitlord
Where they look up at the stars and Marty says, "I don't know Rust, there sure is a lot of darkness up there." And Rust replies, "I think the light is winning." Which ever way you look at it, you have to admit Rust was better off with a little optimism.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
It actually has nothing to do with Cthulhu, its a great scene, it means a ton, (as alluded to in last 10 minutes of finale).

So you're basically wrong on everything.
It means jack shit. Is it supposed to symbolize his newfound spirituality or light defeating dark? Give me a fucking break. He was telepathically guided through the compound and saw a vortex in the sky. It's the complete opposite of profound.