True Detective

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
So hillbilly errol now possesses the powers of telepathy?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Just watched the doll scene again. It's pretty clear it's a Rorschach test of sorts. Marty has violence on the brain.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Is supertouch trolling or serious? How can this thread actually get worse after the show has concluded?!

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Supertouch, seriously.

If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
So, I watched the first 4 episodes last night, forced myself to go to bed to not be totally fucked up at work, dreamed about the series and after work watched the rest of the season. 2/10, father-in-law is chtulu.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
By the way lithose, you try to make some insane arguments, such as the positions of the dolls was in Marty's head when recalling the events to the cops. Nothing in film allows for that conclusion without explicit narration or dialogue. Film is completely different than written works in that regard. An Arthur can give the reader much more information without having a character or narrator explicitly state it.
On a more serious note, why do you think film is completly different than written work in that regard. Not in that particular example with the dolls, but in general. Film still is open to interpretation, regardless of the authors intention, which he might express in interviews. I see a difference, that film offers less information than a book, but still is open to valid interpretations on the films content alone.

Always baffled me, how people take the authors intention as the only valid interpretation of a movie.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
On a more serious note, why do you think film is completly different than written work in that regard. Not in that particular example with the dolls, but in general. Film still is open to interpretation, regardless of the authors intention, which he might express in interviews. I see a difference, that film offers less information than a book, but still is open to valid interpretations on the films content alone.

Always baffled me, how people take the authors intention as the only valid interpretation of a movie.
I didn't say the producers interpretation was the only valid one, but that some of the theories are baseless. To go back to the dolls and the idea of Marty's character injected subconscious thought on their positioning during the "flashback" is baseless considering the traits we see exhibited prior and after that by the character.

For the difference I guess I mean using a fleeting scene to base a whole story arc on is dangerous in film because because in some cases, especially this, such an intention is much easier presented with even one phrase or word than in film. Such symbolism and foreshadowing would need more explanation to ensure it is clear to the audience. If that scene with the dolls had been done in conjecture with it being said Marty's daughter went to a Tuttle School (which doesn't make sense given how the program was explained anyway) and with the girl giving any evidence to suggest sexual abuse, then that would be a fine interpretation to make with all the information. That was not the case though. On the other hand if it was a book and during that scene Marty was describing recalling the dolls and they were described to be arranged that particular way, it would be more solid information.

Due to the sheer number of people involved in the production of film such little things shouldn't be over analyzed because of the greatly increased chance of human error or just repetition when setting up scenes.

edit - Or to make that theory sound they could have made such a trait in Marty's recollection of events clearly show he is throwing subconscious things in which wouldn't have been hard to do since you have a second character also recalling the same time period (or even third if you use Marty's ex0

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Oki, thanks for the answer. Seems reasonable to me.

For me True Detective was mostly about the atmosphere and the characterisation of Rust/Marty anyway, instead of minor details, because it was hard as fuck to understand everything in detail as a non-native englishspeaker. Just reminded me a lot of David Lynchs Lost Highway and Twin Peaks (minus the weird/funny stuff), which I enjoyed a lot.

rasstapp_sl

shitlord
Probably gonna sound like a retard, but I just assumed for a long while that some of the stuff that isn't explained is just a case ofUnreliable narrator? Both Rust and Marty's being interviewed right? It's a pretty long period of time between 1995 and 2012, not everything is gonna be remembered perfectly. Pair that with all the emotional stress and Marty's later reaction on his daughter and the two boys... Or maybe I'm just totally Astr0ing.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
It means jack shit. Is it supposed to symbolize his newfound spirituality or light defeating dark? Give me a fucking break. He was telepathically guided through the compound and saw a vortex in the sky. It's the complete opposite of profound.
Cthulu telepathically guided him through Carcosa. Please try to keep up.
I want to get back to the telepathic hillbilly angle

Supertouch, enlighten us.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Is supertouch trolling or serious? How can this thread actually get worse after the show has concluded?!
This is a thread where nothing is solved. You know, someone once told me time is a flat circle. Every stupid thing we ever saw in this thread, we're gonna see over and over and over again.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Probably gonna sound like a retard, but I just assumed for a long while that some of the stuff that isn't explained is just a case ofUnreliable narrator? Both Rust and Marty's being interviewed right? It's a pretty long period of time between 1995 and 2012, not everything is gonna be remembered perfectly. Pair that with all the emotional stress and Marty's later reaction on his daughter and the two boys... Or maybe I'm just totally Astr0ing.
That's what some people are trying to suggest, but there is nothing about the show's tone or presentation to imply it. There are some flaws that people are trying desperately to rationalize as intended choices.

Fedor

<Banned>
iyrGCom.jpg

M01VIaI.jpg

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's what some people are trying to suggest, but there is nothing about the show's tone or presentation to imply it. There are some flaws that people are trying desperately to rationalize as intended choices.
Everything in the show was intended. The only question is how the audience interprets it.

I don't personally agree that it was an unreliable narrator. If you rewatch the scene, it goes hand in hand with the next scene, where Cohle describes his daughter's death as a kindness, as it saved her from the terribleness of the world (which the previous scene demonstrates is already affecting Hart's girls). The set up of the dolls was just another of the repetitious motifs that we saw all season long, same with the spirals and stars.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Everything in the show was intended. The only question is how the audience interprets it.

I don't personally agree that it was an unreliable narrator. If you rewatch the scene, it goes hand in hand with the next scene, where Cohle describes his daughter's death as a kindness, as it saved her from the terribleness of the world (which the previous scene demonstrates is already affecting Hart's girls). The set up of the dolls was just another of the repetitious motifs that we saw all season long, same with the spirals and stars.
Which plays into my point, I tried to made earlier. Its totally valid to take the spiral painting into account to support this interpretation, even if it was there by accident.

I use this example to just illustrate my point. I am aware that you normally wouldnt even spot that painting, as long as you dont go through an episode frame-by-frame for whatever reason.