True Detective

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't think we're supposed to like Vaughn's character at all, so the fact that the actor is unlikable isn't really a problem and could possibly be a credit.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Fast forward that shit.
+1. A lot of new shows screw me up with this though because I hit the skip ahead 30 seconds button and then realize that the intro is only 12 seconds long and have to rewind.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I didnt dislike the first episode but it felt slow. In it for the long haul, though. We'll see how it goes.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Compared to S1 it seemed he was trying to condense half a season into one episode. Four stories thrown at us all at once. Now that they are all together it shouldn't feel so rushed.

So far the criminal seems the most well-adjusted. Although we have no idea of what he has done to get to where he is. For all we know he played Velcoro by setting him on that rapist. (imo it's safe to assume he smelled a setup enough to make good and sure it was the right guy) Obv now he gives no fucks.

I'm curious what sex act she used to scare off her boy toy. Did she use her knives on him? Hopefully we get to explore that in detail in many future episodes. Bitch has a stabbing dummy in her house and he's talking relationship. Dude, GTFO.

When CHIPs couldn't get it up and bailed I assumed he was off to a gay bar. But nope, just PTSD and suicidal.

This may be a cop show but truth is there are high-functioning fucked up people like this walking around everywhere. They survive, somehow. I sure as hell have my qualifications.

I thought the brass knuckles were for the kid at first, was like dude, c'mon..

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I think there is some weird thing with his screen presence (he is always on the edge of humor for lack of a better way to put it, he just always seems like he is ready to make someone laugh but not exactly, its odd) that fits that character and so far it has worked. You want to take him serious but every part of your body and mind tells you not to.They want that for this character.
Yeah, it's probably just great casting. I can see them talking about how they really want someone for the role you want to take seriously since the role is one-dimensionally serious, but spice it up by having the viewer not convinced because you're pretty sure he's about to go on the same monologue-rant he's been delivering every movie since his first movie where it was actually funny.

I think you're absolutely right, though. This is already feeling like the type of project big names were clamoring to do due to the success of the first, not necessarily the quality or intrigue of the project. The first felt like a risk for the actors. This feels like a risk for the viewers.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Rushed, slow, same thing to most people. Let's be honest and admit even if this season is half as good as the first, most people won't know why and will still love it because it's now the cool thing to watch and it's still going to be better than most of the shit on tv.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Conjecture time!!

What was the discussion between McAdams's character and her FWB at the beginning all about? She obviously has some sort of sexual hang-ups (seems like all of the main characters do). Her opening scene was in front of a peg board on the wall with her knives and a barber's strap hanging on it. Is she into the rough stuff or, with Guru dad telling her she hates men, is she into dishing it out maybe? I'm guessing the former.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm guessing it was some sort of violent sex. Maybe she wanted to get choked. I would oblige Rachel McAdams with all sexual demands.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Intro shot of her behind dispels all the body double rumors in that old gif.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thought first episode was very good, people forget that it's going to take longer to flesh out the characters when there are 4 versus 2. Also Season 1 kind of bounced back and forth from flashback to their original investigation to the present when the other two cops were interviewing them about it and they meet up again to finish the job.

Velcoro was fucking great, I just wonder if he'll find any redemption as the season goes on or get his judgement in the end. I actually really liked Vaughn's performance. I feel like we're going to end up seeing a scene of ultra violence from him because they had a lot of small pauses where he was just looking at someone and considering "should I just fucking off this piece of shit?". I got the sense he wants to go straight and be one of those "old money California families where no one even remembers where the money comes from", but he's going to have trouble letting go of old habits.

Really just thought the first episode was to give some back story on the situation and the 4 main characters, now that the cops have all met up, show can start plotting a course. I doubt we'll have as many memorable lines as Season 1 without Rust, but Velcoro had a couple and so did Semyon.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Think of how fucked up last season was at some points, with the Lange shit and the yellow king, and now think of these new characters and the fucked up shit that they are going to do/discover. Im excited.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If the season 2 premier were the series pilot, I think HBO would have been "/shrug" and probably not picked it up.

Starting the story 58 minutes into the episode was it's failing. Which is strange, because they nailed this last year. Good story-telling gives you a glimpse of the end, at the beginning, and then the characters stem from that. Otherwise it is just a bunch of pretty-people, showing you"my life is hard" and making shit decisions.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The main story was hinted at from the start of the episode and continued throughout. They start with the dead guy missing. Then showing him in car. Then showing him dead in the car. Then showing him being pulled out. Then he's found at the end. I thought it was pretty well done.