True Detective

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
The thing most people seem to forget is the 'True Detective' literary genre is straight up old school dime store pulp trash.

It's not Conan Doyle or Dashiell Hammet it's closer to a Tarantino script with a much smaller vocabulary. The shit aint supposed to be GRR Martin.

View attachment 509420

The TD show is never going to be judged against the dime store trash novels of yesteryear. All seasons after S01 will be judged against S01, as they should be. And S01 set a really, really high bar.

As for this season, after 1 epsiode I'm pretty meh. I think it misses a ton of the subtlety, subtext, and nuance of S01. A reviewer mentioned that it seems specifically tailored to a young female audience- which is fine, but since I'm not in that demographic it's missing me a little bit. Not terrible but not overly compelling so far.

I'll probably watch ep 2 bc my wife likes it and it wasn't awful.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The more I watch it the worse it gets.

I swear if she just raised her voice even 10% for some of those scenes at the beginning, it would have carried a lot better throughout the episode.

There's a few specific establishing moments in the first half of the episode where it's jarring how quiet she is given what they are having her say.

Pulls you right out of the atmosphere of whatever believability there is supposed to be.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
The TD show is never going to be judged against the dime store trash novels of yesteryear. All seasons after S01 will be judged against S01, as they should be. And S01 set a really, really high bar.

As for this season, after 1 epsiode I'm pretty meh. I think it misses a ton of the subtlety, subtext, and nuance of S01. A reviewer mentioned that it seems specifically tailored to a young female audience- which is fine, but since I'm not in that demographic it's missing me a little bit. Not terrible but not overly compelling so far.

I'll probably watch ep 2 bc my wife likes it and it wasn't awful.

S1 would have been exactly that kind of dime store pulp trash if McConaughey didn't go full glue huffing meth diet method actor. That one character and his delivery raised to bar too high for everything after. Everyone else is Vince Vaughn trying to play a villain.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
S1 would have been exactly that kind of dime store pulp trash if McConaughey didn't go full glue huffing meth diet method actor. That one character and his delivery raised to bar too high for everything after. Everyone else is Vince Vaughn.

No lol. The writing in S01 was awesome. For sure McConaughey made it even better, but you're crazy if you're comparing the S01 script to dime store stuff.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
No lol. The writing in S01 was awesome. For sure McConaughey made it even better, but you're crazy if you're comparing the S01 script to dime store stuff.

You strip out all the high tier actors, atmospheric cinematography, low hum droning sounds and artsy color tinting and the S1 script is a bunch over over the top cliche scenarios strung together one after another. It is a love letter to pulp.

• 1Picard

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
You strip out all the high tier actors, atmospheric cinematography, low hum droning sounds and artsy color tinting and the S1 script is a bunch over over the top cliche scenarios strung together one after another. It is a love letter to pulp.

Respectfully disagree. The philosophical issues the script tackles and the depth of the dialog go way, way beyond the scope of dime store stuff (not that I have anything against pulp- it has its place, but this isn't pulp).

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

Strip out most of the components that go into a quality production and the production isn't going to seem high quality? That's some high level analysis.

And I'm not a huge defender of the season 1 writing in a vacuum. It's clear it took PizzaLotto many years to hammer that thing into something that could be elevated, as opposed to the sophomore slump that happened (as often does) when he was asked to do it again on short notice.

It's also clear season 1 wasn't just some shallow, dime store, plot driven story that was only made watchable by all the other elements elevating it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
It's also clear season 1 wasn't just some shallow, dime store, plot driven story that was only made watchable by all the other elements elevating it.

Most of it was, and that is exactly what made it great.

Rust spouting Nihilist rhetoric and then finding Jesus at the end was the only thing that's wasn't pure off the shelf pulp. And I don't think anyone but McConaughey could have sold it.

S1 wasn't high brow, it was cheap noir.

None of the seasons are all that different, they just never wrote another character as interesting as Rust.

• 1Worf
  • 1Rustled

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

Rust spouting Nihilist rhetoric and then finding Jesus at the end was the only thing that's wasn't pure off the shelf pulp. And I don't think anyone but McConaughey could have sold it.

None of the seasons are all that different, they just never wrote another character as interesting as Rust.

You're funny. Do you take requests? I'd like to see you deconstruct more shows by simply pointing out if you take away elements that make it good it more resembles genres that don't have the expectation of those elements.

• 1Worf

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thought ep 1 was decent. But I mainly appreciate them trying to bring back in some of the spiritual vibe. Could go any which way from here, though.

• 1Like

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Silence of the Caribou with a bunch of dykes and modern day girl power. The supernatural aspect of the show is more believable than the casting and writing.

I might revisit this one when it all drops, but based on the first episode this one is getting a nope from me.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>

Rust was only interesting because he was played off against the ying to his yang Marty in a solid "unlikely pair" element. Also a dark plot that continued until the very end, unlike season 3, where it was dark but at the end just sort of dissolved to "oh well, it was all kind of a misunderstanding, they meant well, anyways racists are the real villains".

• 2Like

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
The first episode is just strange. Felt more like a Twin Peaks episode than a detective show. Random sex scenes thrown in that had no point to them. Foster is alright, but her character is underwritten.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Rust was only interesting because he was played off against the ying to his yang Marty in a solid "unlikely pair" element. Also a dark plot that continued until the very end, unlike season 3, where it was dark but at the end just sort of dissolved to "oh well, it was all kind of a misunderstanding, they meant well, anyways racists are the real villains".

My point is if they had Rust played by Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Gosling as Marty S1 would have been as 'bad' as S2.

The shows basic formula has never really changed, they just had 2 academy award winners out of the gate.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
My point is if they had Rust played by Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Gosling as Marty S1 would have been as 'bad' as S2.

The shows basic formula has never really changed, they just had 2 academy award winners out of the gate.
How dare you. Ryan Gosling is a nation treasure. He’s one of the best actors of our time.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

Did you just shit on Jake Gyllenhaal? Maybe you need to take a rest there, champ.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 9 users