True Detective

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
What the fuck are you talking about?

He's using the definition of likeable which is synonymous with pleasant, agreeable, etc. The TV trope you linked basically says any bad guy can be likeable to a certain type of person which negates the entire premise. As Arden stated, he liked them because they were well-acted and well-made characters. Their stories were fantastic. That's fine because I watched for the same reasons, but they aren't likeable by the regular definition of the word. They are deeply flawed, broken, and bad people.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
He's using the definition of likeable which is synonymous with pleasant, agreeable, etc. The TV trope you linked basically says any bad guy can be likeable to a certain type of person which negates the entire premise. As Arden stated, he liked them because they were well-acted and well-made characters. Their stories were fantastic. That's fine because I watched for the same reasons, but they aren't likeable by the regular definition of the word. They are deeply flawed, broken, and bad people.
Oh I understand what he means, but acting like this other widely used definition is somehow bizarre, foreign, or incomprehensible is retarded.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
binged through the 5 episodes last few days, meh as everyone has said. After episode 1 I was expecting 50% the Thing, 40% detective shit, and 10% social/political crap. By episode 5 its basically 5% creepy, 20% detective, and 75% "stories about fucked up people I don't care about".

I'm still glad I saw the season though, most of the time I'm just zoned out thinking about how fucking weird it must be to live in a place that will kill you in minutes without technology, and living somewhere where its dark 24 hours a day for weeks at a time. They do a real good job of getting that otherworldy/man-does-not-belong vibe in the long shots of the show and I like how you have no idea what time of day it really is most of the time. It feels like a space colony show in so many ways

the most obvious finale is the scientists dug up something ancient and evil blah blah blah but the show has telegraphed that so much its almost certainly not the answer, i have a feeling the actual finale will be extremely disappointing and a big "what the fuck was the point of this entire season" involving toxic water as people have guessed.

also lol i thought the same thing in the last few mins of episode 5

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
binged through the 5 episodes last few days, meh as everyone has said. After episode 1 I was expecting 50% the Thing, 40% detective shit, and 10% social/political crap. By episode 5 its basically 5% creepy, 20% detective, and 75% "stories about fucked up people I don't care about".

I'm still glad I saw the season though, most of the time I'm just zoned out thinking about how fucking weird it must be to live in a place that will kill you in minutes without technology, and living somewhere where its dark 24 hours a day for weeks at a time. They do a real good job of getting that otherworldy/man-does-not-belong vibe in the long shots of the show and I like how you have no idea what time of day it really is most of the time. It feels like a space colony show in so many ways

the most obvious finale is the scientists dug up something ancient and evil blah blah blah but the show has telegraphed that so much its almost certainly not the answer, i have a feeling the actual finale will be extremely disappointing and a big "what the fuck was the point of this entire season" involving toxic water as people have guessed.

also lol i thought the same thing in the last few mins of episode 5

Over the last few weeks I rewatched the first three seasons, and they're so much better. First is still the best, but I really enjoyed the second one. I didn't keep up with what the discussion was when an originally came out, and from what I gather some people complained about it being crappy. Not really sure why. It was different type of show compared to season 1, but at least all the characters in were believable and sympathetic. Plot may have gotten a little contrived, but I think it was supposed to be more of a police film noir type deal. Almost reminds me of LA Confidential.

I didn't remember much about season 3, but enjoyed it. Again at least it was all characters that I gave a crap about unlike this current season.

I think all three of the first seasons were just trying to have a completely different tone, and if you're okay with that, they really do play out almost like a Michael Mann movie ever a good number of hours. Even if season 2 and 3 sucked, they're still better than most stuff TV. After all not everything can be She-Hulk or whatever Star wars show is out right now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Over the last few weeks I rewatched the first three seasons, and they're so much better. First is still the best, but I really enjoyed the second one. I didn't keep up with what the discussion was when an originally came out, and from what I gather some people complained about it being crappy. Not really sure why. It was different type of show compared to season 1, but at least all the characters in were believable and sympathetic. Plot may have gotten a little contrived, but I think it was supposed to be more of a police film noir type deal. Almost reminds me of LA Confidential.

I didn't remember much about season 3, but enjoyed it. Again at least it was all characters that I gave a crap about unlike this current season.

I think all three of the first seasons were just trying to have a completely different tone, and if you're okay with that, they really do play out almost like a Michael Mann movie ever a good number of hours. Even if season 2 and 3 sucked, they're still better than most stuff TV. After all not everything can be She-Hulk or whatever Star wars show is out right now.

It being very dark (this can be construed by some as the story having no "payoffs" feel-good wise) just for the sake of being dark was one of the reasons. Season 2 didn't need to go full tragedy with every single arc, but Nic is a retard and wanted to be extra edgy I guess. If he didn't randomly have one of the supporting cast characters shot in the back abruptly mid-season, and maybe tweaked Velcoro's ending a little, it'd have received a lot less negative feedback. The shot in the back was the "shark jump" moment where people started to massively shit on the season in the media.

• 3Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ok now people aren't hating on season 2? I know the stupid ending and Vince's terrible dialogue. As far as Klitch that was weird. Maybe I will try to see where he was going? I know the ending was dumb

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Both S2 and S3 were unwatchably boring. Pointless. Nothing happened, no reason to care about a single one of the characters. At least not in the first half of either season, even I reached my limit of pointless self punishment after that.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
It being very dark (this can be construed by some as the story having no "payoffs" feel-good wise) just for the sake of being dark was one of the reasons. Season 2 didn't need to go full tragedy with every single arc, but Nic is a retard and wanted to be extra edgy I guess. If he didn't randomly have one of the supporting cast characters shot in the back abruptly mid-season, and maybe tweaked Velcoro's ending a little, it'd have received a lot less negative feedback. The shot in the back was the "shark jump" moment where people started to massively shit on the season in the media.
I'd have been less salty if Velcoro's message uploaded. Like you said, S2 was already edgy enough with the tragic storylines.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
1708281870815.png

1708281945216.png

1708281972519.png

• 4Worf
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 7 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
So, how was Turd Detective finale?

• 1Clown World
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Girl power yo....

They really sniffing their own farts with that ending monologue, was a semi interesting who done it with super natural elements thrown in for what appears to be no reason.

Last edited:

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Absolute garbage. Both lady cops were incompetent and dangerous. There was no arrests and no justice for anyone or anything. What a pointless show. Seemed to be more about Danvers coming to grips with the death of her kid and the afterlife.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
This is the stupidest ending I have ever seen.

• 3Solidarity