True Detective

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Not really sure what else to say other than that was fucking amazing, really just the whole episode. The part where Maggie starts bitching at Rust and he just gets up and walks out was fucking awesome.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Overall the episode was pretty good but that last one take sequence shot was just incredible, it was 6 minutes of balls-to-the-wall pure adrenaline ballet wrapped in perfection.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
God dammit reading all these glowing reviews is making it harder and harder for me to wait until the season is over to watch the whole thing... grr...
So you're avoiding watching what is easily the best TV series on right now, but still reading this thread? You're weird.

This episode was so good. McConaughey being all tweaked out on coke and meth was very convincing. Just the sweaty, distant look he had was making me uncomfortable. Him beating the crap out of Ginger, all the while leading him to the car was pretty hilarious as well.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
I liked the "they really should have a better system for this" line after he snags the coke.

awfal

Silver Knight of the Realm
What an awesome episode. A few lines stood out and made me chuckle:

"You gonna make me pull my badge, why do you make me say this shit man"

"I will skull-fuck you bitch..click"

"With dick swagger like yours, I thought you could spot crazy pussy"

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So you're avoiding watching what is easily the best TV series on right now, but still reading this thread? You're weird.

This episode was so good. McConaughey being all tweaked out on coke and meth was very convincing. Just the sweaty, distant look he had was making me uncomfortable. Him beating the crap out of Ginger, all the while leading him to the car was pretty hilarious as well.
Are you watching Banshee!?

This has been great so far. Show just has such an unique vibe to it.. It's hard to even explain.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Great episode! Was balls to the wall the whole time. That shit was as good as anything The Wire, GoT or Breaking Bad ever put out.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm really glad after reading that interview that what we saw was actually one take. Being the cynic that I just assumed that the couple of points they built in that could be used to edit, actually were. Didn't really take anything away because of how awesome the scene was and it was only amplified by Nick Cave over the credits. Really put a point on an incredible episode.

edit: About Banshee, the school hostage episode at the beginning when they are escaping in to the school was really good.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
At one point when they're sneaking behind a bush I leaned really close to the monitor and started wondering why it was so tense- realized then it was a one-take shot. Had to watch it again right after. Always loved the cinematography in Breaking Bad, especially those big open shots between scenes. True Detective has a lot of those type of shots as transitions as well, and the elaborate one-take really sets a new bar for technically difficult television cinematography. Interestingly, both Breaking Bad and True Detective were shot on 35mm- which should upscale nicely to 4k when it becomes standard.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
"god damn, I am so sick of talking to you like a man"

That was easily the best 8 minutes of TV I've watched since BB

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm really glad after reading that interview that what we saw was actually one take. Being the cynic that I just assumed that the couple of points they built in that could be used to edit, actually were.[/i]
The part about the crane / lift they had to put up for the fence climbing part is quite impressive, especially when it's at the end of the sequence and so many things can go wrong with that part.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Damn, man. Just got around to watching this episode, and catching up on the thread and pretty much every fucking thought I had has already been posted. Literally word for word. Fuckers. I guess all that's left to say is I thought the audio work was pretty outstanding and really helped pull you into the scene.