TurboTax Halts State Returns

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I dunno about MN, but I've always found using TurboTax for state returns was a huge waste of money. Federal I get, it's a bit long and lengthy if you do it yourself, but state is usually import a few lines from your federal and count deductions: done. That's a sucker buy.

iannis

Musty Nester
I use them for the feds some years, but never have for State either.

Tax forms really aren't that bad. Basically I use it so that I don't have to do it by hand and then type it out and then wait on my retarded mailman to maybe pick up the mail or maybe throw it in a ditch. Just kinda lazy, but an acceptable use of a few bucks to make sure that I don't have La Federales knock on my door in a few months askin questions I don't need to be answerin'.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Stop wasting FBI time on copyright infringement and go after identity thieves and scammers.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There are states that only allow efile and don't offer a free method to do it?
Nah, you're right. I've always used TurboTax and was afraid I'd have to use different system. Looks like NY does have a free system.

Don't know how it's going to work next year with a home business.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Nah, you're right. I've always used TurboTax and was afraid I'd have to use different system. Looks like NY does have a free system.

A lot of creative definitions for write offs without raising too many red flags for an audit.

Remember kids it isn't fraud until they audit you.

iannis

Musty Nester
That and I think you're allowed to declare personal bankruptcy and keep all your money anyway.

Basically you just shout "Fuck off!!!!!" at the bank, and the state of Florida is cool with it.

They do havesomeredeeming qualities down there.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

Used NY's free system this year, it was pretty easy. My taxes are about as simple as it gets though.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
I live in Nevada now so I don't have to do state taxes anymore, but when I used to live in Illinois, I would just have Turbotax do the state version, print the draft, then go on the Illinois website and input the numbers. They only charge you for the state part if you efile/print the official (not draft) docs.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
As a CPA in MN I am really getting a kick out of this. I have already gotten a couple more clients because of this (One of them was hacked or whatever and I need to file with the IRS). Thank you Turbo Tax $$.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
You can 100% always file by paper for free. Download your tax forms from your state's website or go pick up a book at their office.

Edit: I use turbotax even with the charges because it's easy, my account is not that complicated, it remembers year after year on your account so I can now file taxes in like 15 minutes assuming I didn't change my life in any major way, and I'm lazy. It's worth it for me to spend the combined 80$ to file state and federal with turbo tax because it saves me that much in fucking time.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I file with the paper forms every year. I work with technology for a living but somehow when it comes to tax season, I'm a barbarian.

I take the entire kitchen table, put all my papers over it and do my thing for a couple hours. Been the same ritual for twenty years.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I file with the paper forms every year. I work with technology for a living but somehow when it comes to tax season, I'm a barbarian.

I take the entire kitchen table, put all my papers over it and do my thing for a couple hours. Been the same ritual for twenty years.
I used to do the same thing, then moved to the desktop Turbo Tax software, then onto the online based Turbo Tax. No god damn way I would ever go back to doing it by hand. As Rangoth said, the fact it remember's all of your relevant information year-on-year saves a TON of time. I have to deal with a regular filing, 1099 forms, as well as overseas exclusions and it's piss easy online.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I got my state tax return today so I guess not all state returns are suspended.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I can respect Intuit for Quickbooks, but when it comes to taxes HRBlock all the way. Paid 6$ for federal, and did state for free with CT Efile on their website. Filed on the 3rd got my state return on the 6th and my federal on the 9th. Definitely good with the whole Anthem hack.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I can respect Intuit for Quickbooks, but when it comes to taxes HRBlock all the way. Paid 6$ for federal, and did state for free with CT Efile on their website. Filed on the 3rd got my state return on the 6th and my federal on the 9th. Definitely good with the whole Anthem hack.
I own a rental property so for the first few years I went to a tax professional at H&R to do my taxes. It was reasonable at first (I think it was $150 or so) because I had no idea what to expect or how to appropriately create a depreciation schedule on the property. Last year the fuckers charged me $510 so I said "fuck you I'll do it myself". Since I've always done it through H&R block if I download their software is there a way for me to import the previous returns digitally so my depreciation schedules remain intact without me having to go back through the paperwork and figure it out correctly?

I already went through the entire process with TurboTax this year and my federal return seems correct but somehow I owe money to CT which doesn't seem correct. So I haven't filed yet.