TV show recommendation thread

spronk

FPS noob
how is season 2 of shield and Agent Carter by the way, good or meh? I thought season 1 of shield was kinda meh, I marathoned through the whole thing and glad I did since half of the episodes were crap and a quarter were good, I expect s2 to be the same so just waiting till it ends. not sure about carter though

downloaded banshee and luther, gonna watch those after I finish up s3 of House of Cards

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
I am really enjoying Helix. Season one was pretty good. Lots of different story arcs which I thought was a nice touch.

I've only watched the first episode of Season 2 and it was amazing. I have really high hopes for it. Waiting for all of them to air so I can blitz through it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How you have so much time to watch shows, while at the same time tracking down so many video game deals? haha
wink.png

+1 for Luther, great show, and in the same format as Sherlock. Short seasons, but very good.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
how is season 2 of shield and Agent Carter by the way, good or meh? I thought season 1 of shield was kinda meh, I marathoned through the whole thing and glad I did since half of the episodes were crap and a quarter were good, I expect s2 to be the same so just waiting till it ends. not sure about carter though

downloaded banshee and luther, gonna watch those after I finish up s3 of House of Cards
If you already suffered through season1 of SHIELD, then by all means watch s2. S1 was dog pile shit most of the time, many "true believers" gave up. BUT if you watched all of S2, and you can rate it a 5/10, except for the last 5eps which was pretty good, S2 is more of those 5 good eps.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If you already suffered through season1 of SHIELD, then by all means watch s2. S1 was dog pile shit most of the time, many "true believers" gave up. BUT if you watched all of S2, and you can rate it a 5/10, except for the last 5eps which was pretty good, S2 is more of those 5 good eps.
season 2 of shield is much better than season 1, its half over so we cant really judge episodes that havent aired yet, but so far its ok. season 1 of agent carter while it was heavy handed poor woman in an evil man's world in the first few episodes they toned it down and let you just enjoy the program. IMO it was a better story arc than shield which feels like they are making it up as they go and trying their best to tie in with whatever marvel movie is due for release. carter was a fully contained standalone story which delivered.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The Americans has been pretty good so far this season when they aren't focusing on the dispute over the daughter which is getting pretty repetitive.

spronk

FPS noob
If you haven't watched 12 Monkeys on SyFy I highly recommend it, easily the best new show of the 2015 season for me. Amazing writing that works really, really well for a premise that I thought couldn't last more than an episode or two.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
If you haven't already seen Luther it should be at the top of the list
Giving this a try, i hate everything about TV, the only shit i like is the wire, game of thrones, vikings, i cant stand 99.9% of drama / cable tv garbage.

I watch shit like, the first 48, drugs inc etc.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I really enjoyedHappy Valley. Ireallywanted to see the antagonist die a horrible, horrible death. Fucking hated that guy.

Anyway, BBC One series and, as with most British shows, is very short. 6 eps and you're done. But I believe a second series has been commissioned.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
BBC One series and, as with most British shows, is very short. 6 eps and you're done.
That really is the way to go. Stretching a few hours worth of story into a 20-25 episode season means 90% of your show is just filler. That's fine for comedies since the plot is secondary, but for too many shows nothing happens except for the last few minutes of every episode

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That's why British dramas tend to be better than American dramas

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I think a lot of American shows want to pump out a ton of episodes in order to get it into syndication. I think you need something like 60 episodes in order for it to sell into syndication.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I mentioned like many other about banshee and completely forgot about the Comedy Silicon Valley, season 2 just started back up and its one of the best comedies out if not the best non cartoon. Not sure what comedies can really compete since Parks, Curb ect are over with. First season is up their with Curb and Arrested Development

Skynet_sl

shitlord
Babylon 5 - JMS wrote around 90% of the scripts while maintaining a coherent arc across five seasons. The first season is kind of cheesy as far as production value, but the stories pay off down the road. The second, third, and fourth season are incredible and well-worth the time.

Carnivale - I still hate HBO for canceling this, but the first two seasons are worth the time if you want to watch a stylish show of good versus evil set in the Dust Bowl during the Great Depression.

Doctor Who - Quality varies dramatically based on the writing and direction of each episode, but gems such as 'Listen,' 'Blink,' 'The God Complex,' 'Midnight,' etc more than make up for the hiccups here and there.

Hannibal - Excellent writing and great production value. I was skeptical when I first heard they were making a TV-series based on Thomas Harris' series, but after the first few episodes, I was hooked. Even if you've read the books, the story deviates enough from the established plot to keep you on your toes.

House of Cards - Kevin Spacey's best work. His character, Frank Underwood, would fit right in with the political landscape of Game of Thrones.

Luther - A BBC crime drama with Idris Elba in the title role. Ruth Wilson's protagonist is also well-imagined and reminiscent of a female Hannibal minus the cannibalism.

Quantum Leap - Science-fiction done right with a great focus on the two leading characters.

Sherlock - Stylish modern-day adaptation of the classic detective stories. Benedict Cumberbatch does a great job portraying Sherlock, and the show has received quite a few accolades for writing and acting since it started.

The Thick of It - 'The Office' set in the British government with Peter Capaldi (the current Doctor) as the vulgar and hilarious anti-hero.

The West Wing - I'm not a huge fan of Aaron Sorkin's more recent works, but the West Wing is a masterpiece and contains some of the best hour-long TV episodes I've ever seen - 'Two Cathedrals' and '20 Hours in America,' for instance, immediately come to mind.

spronk

FPS noob
they really need to fucking shut down TV for a year so i can catch up on shows i missed