TV show recommendation thread

spronk

FPS noob
Just marathoned through True Detective (FUCKING AMAZING) and latest season of Justified (good) and thought I'd get some help from you guys to pick the next show or two to watch. I watch a fuckton of TV (10TB media array stores EVERYTHING) so I've already seen all the great shit like Breaking Bad, Rome, Wire, Deadwood, etc - just looking to pick what you think the next best show is out of this list. I love Breaking Bad, Wire, all Scifi (BSG Trek Farscape etc), Spartacus, action movies, etc.

Feel free to ask for a recommendation here too and list 2 or 3 of your favorite shows for context and I'll toss out a suggestion or two based on what I've watched.

Americans - I watched 2 or 3 episodes of season 1, felt it was really slow, haven't watched since
Sleepy Hollow season 2 - I liked season 1, I assume s2 is pretty good and now that its wrapped plan on watching it sometime soon
Bosch - Amazon Prime series, I love the main actor (smokey from Lost) but it looks kinda boring/pedestrian
Bridge - ?? looks lame
Vikings - 3d season just started, haven't watched at all
Red Widow - ?
Scorpion - ?
Black Sails - I fucking love pirates but i watched 3 episodes of crossbones and it gave me aids (DONT watch crossbones)
100 season 2 - I enjoyed season 1 even though it was dumb
Blacklist - ?

My guess right now is its a tossup between Black Sails, Sleepy Hollow, Americans, and Vikings but I can't decide which to start on first.

Probably Black Sails, then Sleepy Hollow, then Americans, then Vikings

(edit: added Blacklist)

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Sleep Hollow is shit.

From your list, Vikings is clearly the best choice.

The Americans is good, but it is slow like you mentioned. It's all about the characters, so if you like that kind of thing you'll get into it. Just don't go into it expecting a spy/action thriller, because it's really not like that.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
watch the first season of Broadchurch. it features the tenth doctor and most of the guest stars of doctor who.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I really enjoyed binge watching The West Wing recently. A few bad episodes here and there, some characters get annoying(CJ) and there is a big drop off after season 6, but overall a great watch.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Americans - yes
Sleepy Hollow season 2 - no
Bosch - don't know this one
Bridge - no
Vikings - yes
Red Widow - no
Scorpion - hell no
Black Sails - yes
100 season 2 - yes
Blacklist - no

Also Banshee >> all of the above.

Spork

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Bansheeeeeeee

From your list: The 100, Black Sails, Vikings

Person of Interest. Starts off very procedural (but still good), and turns into a great serialized sci-fi later on. Very underrated.
The Good Wife. Good legal drama with a shitty show title that scares many away.

Also, Banshee.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I already mentioned it but if you liked spartacus you will love banshee, also Psych was amazing

Cybsled

Banshee is basically modern day Spartacus. If you liked Spartacus, you'll like Banshee as others have said.

spronk

FPS noob
hmm lotta banshee recco's in here, guess I'll have to check it out, thanks! The torrent description always seemed weird like a cartoon or something.

Already seen Sherlock (AWESOME everyone should see it) and watch the Good wife with the wife every sunday. I honestly think good wife is vastly overrated, while good acting and a few good episodes its way too over dramatic, "rich white people problems", and scooby doo eye rolling (kalinda solves the mystery at the last minute like 90% of the time) to ever be really considered "good" in my book.

Person of Interest is something I eventually wanna see, its got Ben from Lost who is amazing but its up to like season 3 now with 22 episodes per season... thats a lot of TV
frown.png

Just found an extra 2TB of storage on my drive array too, turns out I had a drive plugged in but never formatted. Thats a lot of extra free space

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
American's is def yes, slow but it's a fucking covert spy show, not like there will be boom boom every min, but it's worth it and pays off.

blacklist, no just don't start unless you have some vested interest in it. I've posted in the thread, i keep watching on still cuz, well i've already ripped off the bandaid. it's really really really bad if james spader were invisible. I'm serious if someone just took 1 eps of blacklist and cutout all the scenes with james spader in it, it would be dog shit CSI, with junior high school writing. Maybe you like avengers and ultron and want to hear james spader some more? ok... maybe.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
What others have said vikings, banshee and black sails. For science ficition add Continuum if you haven't seen it yet, its coming into its 4th season and is one of the best scifi tv series made in the last 20 years.

spronk

FPS noob
What others have said vikings, banshee and black sails. For science ficition add Continuum if you haven't seen it yet, its coming into its 4th season and is one of the best scifi tv series made in the last 20 years.
hmmm really? I saw one or two episodes and it looked super lame, like a cheap canadian attempt at scifi without any budget to back it up. I know the basic plotline is basically Timecop + Sliders, but does it really work or is it just whacky adventures with cheap shitty sets and only 1 or 2 episodes per season in the future (due to budget)?

For example I sorta like Orphan Black but mostly cuz of the main actress, the story is crap and the budget is tiny so they rarely do anything cool scifi wise and drag out the story. By contrast I think 12 Monkeys, Helix, Defiance, and Black Mirror have flaws but are fun to watch, Defiance, Black Mirror, and 12 Monkeys (so far) are actually quite good although none are imo at the level of Trek or Fringe.