Twin Peaks

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Lynch films have got their internal logic, some sort of rhythmic language that is very simple. It's less coherent and more intuitive, much like dreaming. Don't approach it as unraveling a plot. Think I've sussed Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, a couple others. The one that breaks my brain is Lost Highway.
I can't even watch Inland Empire, I have no idea wtf that shit is about. Mulholland Drive I needed some help understanding, I still don't really get a lot of it but I get the overall picture. Lost Highway is the only one I can actually almost make a straight narrative out of.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/twin-peaks-secrets.html?mid=facebook_vulture

MIDI notation of Laura Palmer's Theme
19-twin-peaks-midi.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
I can't even watch Inland Empire, I have no idea wtf that shit is about. Mulholland Drive I needed some help understanding, I still don't really get a lot of it but I get the overall picture. Lost Highway is the only one I can actually almost make a straight narrative out of.
Lol I know what you mean.

Inland is visually his strangest and least straightforward while the story is fairly typical, so to speak. A basic contrast. An actress possessed by the curse of an old Polish folktale. The telling is where it goes wonky. There's about a hundred, utterly incoherent doppelgangers/parallel dimensions where other Lynch movies have two or three.

With films like Mulholland Dr, Blue Velvet and so on I get the why. As you said, I've no idea what is happening but you get the overall picture. Lost Highway is arguably among the straightest (barring the actual Straight one, Dune and them) but I don't get the why.

David Lynch, man. What a fuckin' nut.

That's badass.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Watched the finale just now. It's been seven, eight years since the last time.

It is damn near incredible how the show was campy then the last 20 minutes or so turn into serious business.

giphy.gif

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So, Dalebob kind of works, I didn't think it would but it does. First two down. Some really great stuff. What the fuck was that spectre thing?

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Considering how far television has come since the 80's I was kinda unsure going into this as to whether or not Lynch would be able to recapture that whole "da fuq did I just watch?" vibe of the original series in a compelling way but I'll be damned if he didn't pull it off.

• 1Solidarity

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
HELLLLLOooooo

Glad to see Lynch can still write some goofy scenes alongside the surrealist nightmare stuff. Robert Forster is a nice touch as well.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
do I need to watch the original before watching the new episodes?

I'd say yes, though you could probably just youtube a breakdown if you're just looking for major plot, though to get what's happening at the end of ep4 you have to watch Fire Walk With Me.

Streamed it on Amazon and when you bring up the overlay when streaming it it will show you what actors are in what scene with character names, really nice feature as I nearly missed Ronette Pulaski's character.
The memes for this will be solid gold as well...
1495472724742.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
If you have Showtime they have both seasons of the original series and FWWM up on demand.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
do I need to watch the original before watching the new episodes?

Watch season 1 and then watch the last two episodes of season 2 (read some summaries of the previous episodes), and you'll be good to go. I wouldn't watch it without at least seeing all of season 1 & the season 2 finale. Season 1 is very, very good tv even by today's standard.

Streamed it on Amazon and when you bring up the overlay when streaming it it will show you what actors are in what scene with character names, really nice feature as I nearly missed Ronette Pulaski's character.

Good idea. I was having some issues placing some faces. "HELLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOO"
Btw. What scene was Pulaski in? At the Bang Bang bar?

Last edited: