Twitch.tv

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Every time I go to twitch on the front page is a video playing of poker or ultimate fighter which always seems odd to me.

spronk

FPS noob
didn't some dude die recently from streaming on twitch for like 20 hours straight (he was a fat fuck too I think so that was probably 90% of it)

it reminds me a lot of the MMO grind, where if you really wanna be twitch famous you gotta broadcast like 12 hours a day 7 days a week for YEARS with just a few viewers for a long ass time until you get a break or whatever, and probably 90% of people who try to stream still fail miserably

the GTA 5 RP streams though are absolutely fantastic right now, I've been watching a lot of lirik on that, there is a redneck cop that is just the funniest thing in the world. but yeah, i don't get the donation or chat or emote shit at all, i like watching twitch and i sub to a rando person with my free amazon prime thing but i sure as shit ain't paying anyone anything, i'd rather give a few bucks to a homeless guy

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
didn't some dude die recently from streaming on twitch for like 20 hours straight (he was a fat fuck too I think so that was probably 90% of it)

it reminds me a lot of the MMO grind, where if you really wanna be twitch famous you gotta broadcast like 12 hours a day 7 days a week for YEARS with just a few viewers for a long ass time until you get a break or whatever, and probably 90% of people who try to stream still fail miserably

the GTA 5 RP streams though are absolutely fantastic right now, I've been watching a lot of lirik on that, there is a redneck cop that is just the funniest thing in the world. but yeah, i don't get the donation or chat or emote shit at all, i like watching twitch and i sub to a rando person with my free amazon prime thing but i sure as shit ain't paying anyone anything, i'd rather give a few bucks to a homeless guy

Married to the LAW!

<3 Eli

I guess we'll see soon if Eli and the other admins allow this Leanboi's gang vs the Cops RP to happen. Their server is pretty strict on cop baiting so I'm not sure how it's going to play out.

Clarification on All The Rules!

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Delly

Trakanon Raider
GTA 5 RP is fantastic. Would def use my Prime sub for Trooper Thompson when he starts streaming. He shares a lot of videos/clips from other streamers on his Twitter. Eli Thompson (@SheriffEli) | Twitter

I used to sub to one stream for $5 a month and even that felt bad. No idea how their service could make me feel like my $25 a month would be worth it.

• 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
GTA 5 RP is fantastic. Would def use my Prime sub for Trooper Thompson when he starts streaming.

I used to sub to one stream for $5 a month and even that felt bad. No idea how their service could make me feel like my $25 a month would be worth it.

I been watching that. I typically spam my monthly 5 bucks on semi-small streamers. Gave this last one to Timmack. Did you watch Yang today run from Trooper Thompson and steel his car. Was awesome. Find the clip if you havn't seen it. Him and Lirik were robbing a bank and lirik books it when the cops shows up, thompson gets distracted trying to shoot him and yang fucking runs out right behind him, so awesome.

Gotta say, having watching some of the arma RP servers, the cops are slightly OP on GTA5. Between the ID system, their crazy good comms, and the fucking FLIR and Spotlight on the helo, it's almost impossible to get away with anything. I know that server is super serious RP but they should tone down on police power IMO, or at least have tiers of power depending on how many cops are on.

Really look forward to what the RP community does with GTA5, pretty good stuff so far.

edit here's that clip:

Eli get his car stolen on a bank robbery

I suggest pulling him his and liriks old stream and watch it today, was just awesome all round.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The sub stuff is actually really good for small streamers, because it lets people support them better. The sub emotes are also easier to get, and you'll be able to change them at will. That's a big deal for small streamers, because if you push and unlock a tier, and then fall below it you are fucked and stuck with your emotes which is a pain in the ass. Plus it gives smaller goals which makes it feel more achievable.

Also if you didn't know Twitch bought Curse, and they have a desktop app now that does all that stuff.

Introducing the Twitch Desktop App beta – Twitch Blog

It's very similar to discord, and you can have communities and stuff with voice channels and everything. The voice quality is good. I made a server, people can join it and try it out. Could be a good way to get people together with games, we can add channels and stuff

Join the Fires of Heaven server

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Isn't the Twitch app just Curse with a different skin? Does it even have any integration with Twitch? I don't need another Discord, but an app that synced with Twitch.tv would be interesting.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
If you have the curse app it will update iyself to the twitch app. The twitch app is the curse app plus it also has the twitch game launcher also added in.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you think Twitch subs are about value or getting something to make it "worth it", then you are about as clueless as my mom who doesn't even know what Twitch is. It is support for someone you like and enjoy. Nobody is subbing for the retarded emotes or any of the other so called benefits.

They will do well with the $25 model, simply because there are a lot of people out there that have a shit-ton of expendable money and plenty of free time to watch and support their favorite streamers.

• 1SJW
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
some of those streamers are millionaires now. I wish I could sit at home and get paid big money to just play video games.

It sounds all glorious does it not?

The way I see it is either be great at games, or be ok and have charisma. Either one would work.

I watch some dudes on phone when im at work and not busy. People like Liric are great and have good personalities, I dont really like Summit, he comes off as an ass hole to me. But what I do mostly is follow games more than people. When im into a game at that point, ill watch streams of it and se what others are doing in game.

I sometimes flip them a $5er or something, but I do not sub, I dont watch enough of one person to justify a monthly watching/donation fee, lol. But I do use twitch for enjoyment so I feel like sometimes I have to flip a lincon to peeps I watch.

Last edited:

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I watch a lot of Summi1g and this donation shit blows my mind. I give these streamers a lot of credit for taking advantage of a market. I just don't get why anyone would donate money to a streamer. He right now is easily making 1k a day in just fucking donations. He literally complains about getting too many donations and people start throwing money at him even faster lol.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I watch a lot of Summi1g and this donation shit blows my mind. I give these streamers a lot of credit for taking advantage of a market. I just don't get why anyone would donate money to a streamer. He right now is easily making 1k a day in just fucking donations. He literally complains about getting too many donations and people start throwing money at him even faster lol.

Yeah I see that from time to time, its like they donate to annoy him, its fucking crazy. Then one day he upped the limit to like $50, and people were still doing it to annoy him, I dont even understand the logic of these "chat" people. Are they all princes from Saudi?

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I find there are two types of Twitch users - the twitch community members and the twitch viewers.

The community members treat streamers like minor Z list celebrities. These followers love to be called out by name to the crowd. The donations and subs fulfill that desire and emotes allow you to provide proof of allegiance to their 'clan.' This is the internet version of the letterman jacket or class ring; a way to feel connected to strangers that otherwise have no natural affiliation.

The second (like me) view twitch as an alternative to traditional entertainment such as cable or movies. We find channels (shows) that we like and follow them until we lose interest. Most of us that choose to sub or make donations do so to compensate the streamer for their entertainment value instead of community involvement. I personally donate to channels if I realize that I've watched their channel for more than 10 hours since that is probably more than any single TV channel on a package we pay 80 bucks for a month.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
some of those streamers are millionaires now. I wish I could sit at home and get paid big money to just play video games.

While being filthy rich like summit, kripp, lirik would be nice 99.9% of streamers probably make peanuts and it would get so boring so fast being a twitch streamer

spronk

FPS noob
yeah there's been a couple of dudes i follow who claim to only make their money from twitch, and they usually have 40-60 viewers. one is this dude who raps free style on stream, he is INSANELY talented and its just weird seeing this dude who probably would do better working at a club as a DJ or something just spend all his life streaming to a few dozen people a night, hoping to make enough money to cover his roaming data fees. He is traveling the world right now though and still streaming so its kinda crazy / weird / funny to watch

I've followed him for a good 2-3 years and he has never grown to beyond 300 viewers, i can't imagine him making more than $1000/mo (and thats probably super generous) but i guess he loves what he does. i doubt he'll ever make it big, and i kinda wonder what happens in 5-6 years if he never succeeds. its not like he has learned anything that applicable to any sort of job by streaming on twitch. Its probably really been decades though since really a completely different way to make money and live your life has come around (last would be telecommuting mixed with short term contract jobs I'd say, maybe Uber) so its fascinating to see it unfold.

twitch.tv/therealshookon3/videos/all

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So how much do these dudes make from subs and shit anyway? Say you have a dude with like 500-1K viewers vs a dude with 3K viewers.

spronk

FPS noob
the streamer gets $2.50 per sub (twitch keeps $2.50), but someone like summit1g "only" has 20k subs or $50k/month just from subs (summit1g and other 10k+ people probably get a slightly higher cut than $2.50 too) and summit1g is probably in the top 20 of streamers in terms of viewers/subs. donations vary completely from person to person. then there are also sponsorship and partnerships, like anyone who gets partnered (generally 10k+ followers, you only get a sub button once you are partnered) gets a free DXRacer chair and they start getting free PCs and stuff too from alienware, ROG, etc.

the ad revenue is pretty pitiful, i think its something like $1 per 1000 viewers per hour. So almost all of their money is gonna come from donations and subs. Most streamers don't really have a lot of subbers, but the twitch prime stuff has obviously boosted that A LOT

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So a dude like me would probably have to have about 2K-2.5K subs monthly (not counting donos because I dont think you can count on them) to keep my current lifestyle and quit work and stream full time based around roughly what I make pre-tax.

I still think youtubers have more viewership than twitch, not sure how much they make but probably not as much as twitchers because they rely soley on ad revenue on youtube. I wonder if you can double dip and stream on twitch and then upload to youtube with maybe some minor edits or whatever. Probably not, contractually.

• 1Salty

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
50/50 split is also the best negotiation you can get from twitch. AFAIK lesser streamers get a larger cut taken away by twitch.