Twitch.tv

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
the streamer gets $2.50 per sub (twitch keeps $2.50), but someone like summit1g "only" has 20k subs or $50k/month just from subs (summit1g and other 10k+ people probably get a slightly higher cut than $2.50 too) and summit1g is probably in the top 20 of streamers in terms of viewers/subs. donations vary completely from person to person. then there are also sponsorship and partnerships, like anyone who gets partnered (generally 10k+ followers, you only get a sub button once you are partnered) gets a free DXRacer chair and they start getting free PCs and stuff too from alienware, ROG, etc.

the ad revenue is pretty pitiful, i think its something like $1 per 1000 viewers per hour. So almost all of their money is gonna come from donations and subs. Most streamers don't really have a lot of subbers, but the twitch prime stuff has obviously boosted that A LOT

the 2.50 each breakdown can be differen't per contract / per streamer. I have a feeling lirik and summit probably get 3+ per sub, where your new guy who managed to get a subscribe button probably gets closer to 1.50 to 2 per sub.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
A new streamer has a 50/50 cut. As you get more subs the streamers cut increases. From what i am told the increases are tier based. A streamer that shares their cut info will be banned from the site permanentlyrics. They are only allowed to share their sub count.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What a fucking racket, man. Its like free moneys to all parties involved. Not saying its nto work, streaming, but the more popular you get you can also cut it down to 5-6 hrs a day like lirik. Plus is it really work if you get up and stream on your pajamas and shit sipping on coffe and having your wifey or or girl serve you food? You get your own cult following no matter what you do. And if youre like lirik and play all kinds of new games, pick up new viewers all the time just based on people checking out new games on twitch. Summit tends to concentrate on 1 or 2 games.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
The 2.50 for subs is the basic deal for partners. People like Summit make more then that per sub, the exact amount they can not share. I wouldn't be surprised if Summit and Lirik make $4 per sub.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The 2.50 for subs is the basic deal for partners. People like Summit make more then that per sub, the exact amount they can not share. I wouldn't be surprised if Summit and Lirik make $4 per sub.

Alright thanks I heard some wrong info it seems

spronk

FPS noob
What a fucking racket, man. Its like free moneys to all parties involved. Not saying its nto work, streaming, but the more popular you get you can also cut it down to 5-6 hrs a day like lirik. Plus is it really work if you get up and stream on your pajamas and shit sipping on coffe and having your wifey or or girl serve you food? You get your own cult following no matter what you do. And if youre like lirik and play all kinds of new games, pick up new viewers all the time just based on people checking out new games on twitch. Summit tends to concentrate on 1 or 2 games.

yeah but its like saying you can be a pro poker, day trader, or blackjack player, 99% of those who try fail. every month thousands of new streamers try to stream their shit on twitch and they all are sitting at 0 viewers. It can take YEARS of streaming consistently, every day, to almost nobody, before you get that lucky break of a raid from a popular streamer that finally gets you rolling in followers, then partnered, then subs, then "the dream". and even then, you have to have some sort of personality that people want to follow, whether its chill Lirik/seagull, autistic loltyler1, jingoistic DrDisrespectlive, or the various Tits McGee (and lets face it, web camming is probably way more profitable in that case)

i'd also worry if I was one of those dudes that what if someday everyone just stopped watching you. kinda stupid to say, but i dunno.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider

It's SUPER comparable to other creative / entertainment jobs that have existed for centuries though. For every 1 artist that makes their living being an artist, like 300 are trying and failing miserably. Same thing with acting... I would say Twitch / Streaming is actually a worse path because you can earn fuckboats full of money acting and retire early if you want, art is something you can do until you keel over if people like your art, but streaming... as mentioned, it's a cult of personality largely and eventually interest in the game or person will wane, and probably fast. And just like the other entertainment careers, you have about fuckall for your resume afterwords, some of the people can't even troubleshoot their own PC problems and that's their livelihood.

The advantage of streaming is it's a pretty hot market NOW if you can get yourself viral somehow, it's open to a lot of people who can't do other forms of entertainment, and it is rarely going to devolve into something soul-sucking unless you make it do that yourself. I think the YouTubers have a better thing going because they are broader with the social media stuff, take on tons of projects, travel around and network, etc. whereas streamers are pretty much laser-focused but still on a timeline until they have to do something else, more than likely.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I know that dudes, not trying to take anything away from streamers. I was just thinking out loud what kind of viewers it would take to make me do full time, not to say I could even get there lol. I have no charisma, im an autist engineer, and my gaming skills are average at best. I would probably have to come up with some type of shtick like Doc D did.

And like you say im betting the longevity is not so long on these streamers.But who knows all this is new. But gaming twitch skills and keen eyes go bye bye with age, not so much with acting and other entertainment, for some artists it only gets better with age. Lets hope these dudes save and invest. Or here is hoping they just get by on their established following and charisma.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I know that dudes not trying to take anything away from those dudes. I was just thinking out loud what kind of viewers it would take to make me do full time, not to say I could even get there lol. I have no charisma, im an autist engineer, and my gaming skills are average at best.

And like you say im betting the longevity is not so long on these streamers.But who knows all this is new. But gaming twitch skills and keen eyes go bye bye with age, not so much with acting and other entertainment, for some artists it only gets better with age. Lets hope these dudes save and invest. Or here is hoping they just get by on their established following and charisma.

i've noticed people starting to go 'full time' around 1k viewer averages, giver or take.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I followed Real kraftyy, probably my first streamer I veiwed that played Destiny when I was playing that hardcore. And I saw him basically rise out of the ashes to getting about 2500-3500K viewers. I think he was hosted/partnered with someone, whatever the fuck that means, which gave him exposure and rise.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
i've noticed people starting to go 'full time' around 1k viewer averages, giver or take.
I think at that point if you have some money saved, you can try and sustain it for a few months, but it's not enough for long term.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thats $2500k per month, not too bad if you dont live in some major $$$$ city or have a family. For a single dude in an apartment in some place like Iowa or some shit, its more than plenty.

Thats what a dude like me would have if I got divorced and taken for a ride, lol.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
$2500 before at least 30% of your taxes get taken out, without having medical/heatlh/dental insurance, without any company matching 401k ...

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Thats $2500k per month, not too bad if you dont live in some major $$$$ city or have a family. For a single dude in an apartment in some place like Iowa or some shit, its more than plenty.

Thats what a dude like me would have if I got divorced and taken for a ride, lol.

We're talking viewers not subs.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
$2500k from 1k viewers would be an average of $2500 from each viewer which seems... not accurate

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Lol many people get by on that amount of money. Thats $30K per year, and youre not paying any taxes on that pittance, lol. I even bet you could get fre food and shit, ebt card and medicare if you claim you hurt your back in old mcdonalds job when you slipped on a wet floor.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think you're misusing the suffix of 'k' or something. $2500k is $2,500,000, and $2500 per viewer even over a year is a ludicrous claim.

$2500 (without the k) with an average of 1k viewers is still pretty generous but not unreasonable, counting that not every sub watches 100% of the time and bonus donations and such in there. $2500 a month in KC where I live is very reasonable to live on. $30k a month is almost double the poverty line because the U.S. is fucking insane so no, no food stamps or medicare if you live alone :p

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You know what I meant, lol. $2.5K per month. and yeah youre right poverty rate for 1 person is like $11K per year. After taxes youre getting $24.7K

I was just making a joke.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
oh, well thats a different story then. Mommas basement?

I think in a lot of cases it's something like this. If you have 1000 constant viewers, between your sub count and donations you're probably bringing in somewhere around a grand a month give or take. You can scrape by on that if you're in the right spot and you go full neckbeard. At that point their just hoping for their break. Like this thebudah guy who roleplays 'lang' in gta5 rp. He was a nothing, doesn't even have a sub button. Then he joined Lirik's gang and they hung for a while, he godtier juked sherrif eli and stole his car (clip has like 60k views), now he's got 10k followers and was above 4k viewers his whole stream today. Dudes gonna get a sub button and has a very high likelyhood of 'making it' now.