Twitch.tv

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
The dude entertains me with clips on youtube sometimes.

That's about all he's ever been good for to me. If you give him money you're a retard. The end.
If you give any streamer money, including a Twitch Prime subscription, you're a retard.

• 3Picard
  • 3Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 8 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What is an NFT and why is this bad aside from the usual MTX shit?
In the context of games NFTs are designed to make a digital MTX have scarcity with "ownership." So they can give you a certificate saying you have #781 of 1000 for a limited edition skin and charge even more for it. Which directly morphs into targeted whaling and other dumb shit that in no way makes a game better.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What is an NFT and why is this bad aside from the usual MTX shit?
NFTs are bad, incredibly bad.

1) In their current incarnation they are nothing but scams. Everyone who pushes them claims they are something they are in no way shape or form, the most common thing that by buying a NFT you own "art". You dont, you own a url on whatever blockchain the NFT is on thats it. Whats at that url and who hosts that url has zero to do with you or whats at the NFT at the time you buy it.

2) The grand scheme of NFTs is to monetize EVERYTHING digital. Everything you could possibly make use of the in digital word would have a price tag associated with it. That is a dystopian nightmare.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
NFTs are bad, incredibly bad.
Even worse are "gaming NFTs". Because they are completely undistinguishable from centralized proofs of ownership. I mean, I know. If you want players of your game to sell their gear to each other, just say so, and put a trading platform on your site.

I mean, it didn't end badly for D3...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The grand scheme of NFTs is to monetize EVERYTHING digital. Everything you could possibly make use of the in digital word would have a price tag associated with it. That is a dystopian nightmare.
NFTs are the attempt to introduce artificial scarcity on digital data.

Let that sink in for a second.

And another.

Scarcity does not pair with digital data (which can be copied with low to zero cost) period. If they would call it "DRM, but on the blockchain" no one would care, but at the moment they are trying to hype things up because of the "metaverse," and how you can "customize your avatar!"

None of those "Twitter bio entrepreneurs" seem to have ever played an MMO in their life, and none of those seem to even have an idea where the name "metaverse" comes from. Neal Stephenson must have nightmares about how idiots are trying to build his dystopian vision of the future for real, and even try to market it as a good thing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
K so...

It's a bunch of nerds with more money than they know what to do with buying non-existent things because they are LARPing that Ready Player One is going to be a reality one day and they're trying to min/max their way to supremacy there ahead of time because they haven't done it IRL?

I'd bet Punko and Mist already own a bunch of NFTs???

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
K so...

It's a bunch of nerds with more money than they know what to do with buying non-existent things because they are LARPing that Ready Player One is going to be a reality one day and they're trying to min/max their way to supremacy there ahead of time because they haven't done it IRL?

I'd bet Punko and Mist already own a bunch of NFTs???
Don't buy NFT.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Don't buy NFT.
Only thing I've even THOUGHT of buying was bitcoin... but nah. Would be my luck I'd plop down a chunk of money only to see the entire digital economy crash overnight due to... something... I dunno. Blade Runner 2049 blackout scenario happening IRL heh.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
If you wanna learn a bit about what the "idea" behind NFTs actually is, and how fundamentally flawed it and most of the web3.0/blockchain world are, this is pretty succinct:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The tech not being there is another issue, but even if it had a solid foundation you want to blacklist any company that tries using it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Too 3d. Prefer the right. Give me cute not sexy.
Uncanny valley. The more "realistic" it gets the more the imperfections stand out.
The tech not being there is another issue
And it probably wont be for deacdes. You think the blockchain can handle actual asset data being stored on it? How much of a shitshow would it be ifactual 3d model or video files where being stored on it?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
CCP gave NFT's of in game killmails from the alliance tournament in Eve Online. There's dumb and then there's double dumb - a killmail. Everyone understood it to be a test for future NFT crap. I think they eventually backed down, for now. It's kind of like the dotcom boom. Everything and anything had .com added to it. Now NFT's are the new hotness nobody knows what to do with but they're all in on NFT's.

In CCP's case it was triple dumb, a unique NFT to feel out future use of unique stuff. From the same company that said it's too complicated to keep track of what player built a ship.