Twitch.tv

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I like that that streamer legitimately says nothing and just plays runescape for a few hours with her titties hanging out.

Still has 40k+ subscribers and donations.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
1679101929253.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

This headline makes it sound like Twitch is suddenly losing money because of its policies, while it never made money. Also, Twitch is part of Amazon who just laid off 18k people with 9k more on the way, so it stands to reason that the brand new CEO of Twitch has to find a way to make a buck and was asked to work toward that by cutting staff. Now, for Twitch's sake, let's hope they are not cutting the few people that actually understand what Twitch is, because we know for sure the new CEO doesn't and some of the new features and ad policies make it sound he is far from the only one who doesn't.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
The "Twitch is part of Amazon and so they had to layoff people!!" commentary is nothing but a coping mechanism from people who know absolutely nothing about running a business. If you can cut over a third of your employees and nothing gets broken then you never needed those employees to begin with. They're worthless bloat that can write long-winded diatribes with fancy buzzwords about why they're important but at the end of the day everyone knows that if they were that critical to operations or a revenue stream then they wouldn't be part of a RIF.

This then gets to the "Twitch has never been profitable!!" mantra because if you can cut that much of your workforce then maybe that's a large reason you aren't profitable. Don't keep dead weight that doesn't add value to an organization.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiki

Log Wizard
Suprisingly Spotify might become profitable this year. Twitch is changing streamer cuts as well, taking 20% more of their earnings. Amazon paid a pretty penny so they want their ROI.

• 1Worf

Xevy

Log Wizard
It's insane they don't make a profit. Their overhead cost for servers or whatever has to be fucking ginormous because they're already 50/50 any money made by streamers outside of donations and the last 6 months or so they've been pushing for 8 minutes of adds every hour. 8 fucking minutes is a lot. It used to be 3. I doubt it's profitable this year, but I'm guessing they're less in the red than usual.

Not to mention I don't know what manager cut they get for things like bounties which can be up to like 10,000 an hour and shit for the highest tier streamer.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Don't they have offices in sanfran. That alone is enormous burnrate.

I can't understand why any company would choose Cali.

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Amazon should take all the movies they have the proper rights to, offload them on to a twitch channel or four, and follow the mst3k/rifftrax model of twitch streaming. I would watch that shit, watching shit movies with chat is kind of fun.

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone with less than 1000 viewers doesn't matter to the overall, collectively it makes of less than 10% of viewership. Over 1000 viewers is likely a full time streamer 5+ days a week for longer sessions. Although they have more subs they also require more bandwidth and server usage per month. But it's a flat monthly price for a sub while the more they stream increases costs.

To corporate they see ads as generating revenue that scales with viewership and usage. But viewership has already plateaued overall and is now declining. At the same time they are forcing people (or attempting to) watch more ads which will hasten the decline. There will be a brief apogee where they reach above the clouds, because ad money + declining numbers dips costs will push them into profit territory. Then the trajectory will dive as their plan falls apart and that would be the time for other platforms to snatch away the talent.

Last edited:

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Linus is retarded.

You're just now realizing that? Fuck, I knew that back when he tried to install Steam to Linux and it borked his system, even though there was a warning there that said, "DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU ARE DOING" and then blamed Linux.

Heh. Tried uninstalling a FortiGate VPN client from my Windows machine (work) the other day, two of my monitors stopped working. What one has to do with the other? No idea.