Twitch.tv

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Music use on twitch isn't 'fair use' at all anyway. It is in no way a limited or transformative purpose. They are using artists music to create an enjoyable atmosphere for their viewers (see profiting) without paying the artist.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Music use on twitch isn't 'fair use' at all anyway. It is in no way a limited or transformative purpose. They are using artists music to create an enjoyable atmosphere for their viewers (see profiting) without paying the artist.
Yet radio's still exist. I can't believe we haven't DMCA'd all the grocery stores yet!

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yet radio's still exist. I can't believe we haven't DMCA'd all the grocery stores yet!

Radio stations pay for a license and stores to use that license. In this case, it would be like twitch paying for a license for all their partners to use which frankly is exactly what should happen but twitch hides behind just being a host.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Given how shitty the music at supermarkets is, I hope they aren't paying a lot for that license

• 1Worf

Xevy

Log Wizard
I used to listen to XM radio, LITERALLY my local radio station on the computer while streaming, and it would audio mute everything in my vod. That was like 2 years ago before DCMA shit. Now I wouldn't even try it. Summit and I have to listen to the same rehashed god awful noncopyright music mixes that are like 3 hours long and are only 1/10th enjoyable. The only other option is original soundtracks for other video games. And even then SOME of them will get your VOD muted. Like I think I mentioned earlier, I had my VoD muted partially once during a CoD stream. Funny thing is I had 0 music playing. What did it mute? The CoD in-game music at the character screen triggered their algorithm while I was afk 3 minutes peeing or getting a drink. Very smart. Very business.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
We are literally incapable of paying for a license to use music on Twitch. This is the problem. This is what Twitch has to fix.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Radio stations pay for a license and stores to use that license. In this case, it would be like twitch paying for a license for all their partners to use which frankly is exactly what should happen but twitch hides behind just being a host.
To be fair to Twitch, this may not be exactly correct.

Some partnered friends of mine have told me that Twitch pays performance licensing fees for some partners to use specific music on Twitch. The problem is that they don't let affiliates (which is what most, if not all of us, are) know what they can and can't do. So, for example, if what you're doing is covered by ASCAP, you might be fine, because they (apparently, according to the town hall) license through ASCAP on behalf of the site. The problem is that they don't tell us bottom feeders who they do and don't pay for what. This forces us to assume that we can't do anything legally, which is likely mostly correct.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. What we need is a way to license the music ourselves, through Twitch as an intermediary, and they know this.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
It's great, until some of these people figure out a way to game the system. Which, given Millennials, is gonna take about two years. GenX, it would take about two days.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So Twitch ads are just the new reality at this point? I can't find any combination of browser extensions that prevents any of it anymore?

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
So Twitch ads are just the new reality at this point? I can't find any combination of browser extensions that prevents any of it anymore?

Whenever something is 'free' you are the product?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Automated DMCA takedowns are the bullshit part of it all in the first place. They allege infringement where it is entirely possible that none exists and they do so in the most general, shotgun style possible. They are only legal because corrupt, corporatist judges allowed them to save their buddies a shitload of money in investigation and court costs, i.e. the things that are absolutely necessary to provide for actual fair use.

Actually, the point of DMCA is to protect the infringer from being absolutely assblasted in court. I guarantee you almost all instances of DMCA takedowns being issued are over valid copyright infringement claims.

In the situation where they aren't, that's what counter-notification is for. If you're confident that your usage of their copyrighted content is considered fair use, you should file counter-notification.

Summit and I have to listen to the same rehashed god awful noncopyright music mixes that are like 3 hours long and are only 1/10th enjoyable.

It's 2020, dude. It's really easy to find royalty-free music you can play on your stream or license yourself. Humble Bundle has a huge royatly-free music bundle going on right now.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Actually, the point of DMCA is to protect the infringer from being absolutely assblasted in court. I guarantee you almost all instances of DMCA takedowns being issued are over valid copyright infringement claims.

In the situation where they aren't, that's what counter-notification is for. If you're confident that your usage of their copyrighted content is considered fair use, you should file counter-notification.
But Twitch doesn't even give you that choice, right? They just act and enforce as if you've already lost in court

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The DMCA stuff makes no sense to me. Some streamers refuse to play anything that might be DMCA and other streamers play Taylor Swift on loop and they're all still active.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Never seen anybody DMCA'd live. Does the separate audio output Twitch just added to OBS to remove music tracks from VODs not take care of this? Do royalty free music services not take care of this? Seems like such a non-issue.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

This is total bullshit.

The vast majority are, in fact, not valid copyright infringement claims. They merely check against a database of listed IPs and send out a takedown notice, regardless of context. This is exactly counter to a valid infringement claim as they would have to inspect the content and determine if it fell under fair use before issuing a takedown.

All of that is irrelevant, though, because the DMCA is part of the goddamn problem. It should absolutely be incumbent on rights holders to find and prove infringement. The reverse, where infringement is assumed, leads to this exact nightmarish situation for the rest of the world where an individual must prove they weren't infringing at great personal cost to themselves while rights holders can hold their content hostage from the free market beyond even the ridiculously stringent laws that the same corrupt politicians responsible for the DMCA made to withhold IP from the creative commons. The DMCA is a giant piece of shit from a now-bygone era.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Alkorin Alkorin There's free-use music sources available, what's the issue with using those? Don't trust them or just don't like them?

I think the issue is that most of his streams seem predicated on the fact that he plays copywritten material on request.

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
This is total bullshit.

The vast majority are, in fact, not valid copyright infringement claims. They merely check against a database of listed IPs and send out a takedown notice, regardless of context. This is exactly counter to a valid infringement claim as they would have to inspect the content and determine if it fell under fair use before issuing a takedown.

Then fire counter-notification and get it taken care of. You'd think if there were all these illegitimate invalid DMCA takedowns happening then we'd be seeing rightsholders punished in court. Lawyers would be lining up to represent these people pro-bono for easy money!

Except that's not the case because people are fucking morons and think that their soyjack face over Minecraft gameplay makes their use of the latest Imagine Dragons album "fair use." Copyright law is really easy to get a basic understanding of but people don't do it because they just want to play victim and play music on their stream that they have no business playing.

• 1Solidarity