Tyranny

Caliane

I been playing it all day and I'm enjoying it a good bit more than PoE. I'd say it's like 75/80% PoE combat, and that 20/25% is enough to put it solidly in the 'fun' category whereas PoE left me wanting. Some differences:

1. Party size is reduced to 4, but you get Combo abilities to compensate. I believe it's 2 abilities as you max Fear/Loyalty (so 4 total), the early ones being per encounter and the later ones being per rest. I dunno bout you guys but I always hated the spells in PoE just from trying to manage which fight is 'worthy' of spending spells on. I'm all about Per Encounter, and there's a lot more of those in this game (and normal abilities with 20-60+s cooldowns)

2. That weird Endurance system is gone. You got regular traditional HP but going low gives you a 'wound' which reduces 10% total hp and 10% skills, so one or 2 ain't a biggy but they do add up. They're cleared on rest, and you can hold EIGHT campfire supplies.

3. The talent trees make for much more interesting character development than the pages and pages of tiny abilities you got in PoE. I made my warrior with the intent to be 2H / Heavy Armor, but I ended up Light Armor (fuck their dumb delay system) going down the Agility line, which has passives for dual wielding and single wielding (no offhand), and actives that are Monk-ish (flying kick, leg sweep etc) but still work with 2H. Charge, triple attack, whirlwind...good stuff.

4. Mages have a mix n match spell creation system that I find a LOT more engaging than just being inundated with spells (cleric/druid in POE) or choosing 1 and being locked into it (unless you found a grimoire). You use two base signs, like Frost/Fire/Heal + Line/Cone/Target, then add Accents that increase effect, duration, range, etc. As you add these, the Lore requirement goes up, which makes for a pretty cool progression system that lets you tweak out the spells you like to use and improve them as you get higher Lore.

There are definitely some issues, both carried over from PoE and new to this game, but I like the combat and the story is a lot more engaging than the first. I ordered it just a few days ago at $35.99 and it looks like 2 sites still selling it for $38.20 IsThereAnyDeal.com . I'd say it's definitely worth that price.

I think D:OS2 is a better game for combat (can't even compete with co-op!!) but the story never grabbed me, either in 1 or 2. This game really has. The Conquest you have the option to do in the beginning is a pretty good way of both introducing you to and setting up the world. Obviously a lot of names are thrown at you and it's not super clear what's going on, but the game does a good job keeping you informed as you play.

You're also able to say "Fuck you" in pretty much every situation it makes sense. In that Conquest, I had chosen to send my elite guard to secure an area where the local faction wasn't doing a good enough job. About 5 hours into my game, I came across that faction, and they gave me a bunch of attitude, saying WELL LOOK WHO'S BACK, and threatening me. I was given the usual options of acquiesce, appease, threaten, or attack. And attack I did. I just killed those motherfuckers. And it felt good! I also killed a potential group mate cuz I already had a mage and she seemed like a bitch. And I even got an achievement called "This. Is. TYRANNY!!!" and I'll give you 3 guesses what my character did to another character to earn that. (I'm not saying this game invented such choices; I'm just saying they did a good job of keeping the story very open ended)

Thanks, thats a good breakdown of some of what I wanted to hear. Its been a bit since playing Pillars, so my exact complaints are a bit forgotten.
I do remember the kickstarter story npcs were a bit lame, and poorly inserted. I found the UI needed alot of work. One thing that drove me nuts was how poorly the game integrated the lorebook/tooltips. Like, names of things, etc would be casually dropped in conversation, or, stats/effects stated on skills etc. But, you couldn't just like click or hover over these things to get a quick rundown of what they were. you would have to exit the conversation, and open your lorebook to read the entry on that name, or same with stats, etc. If my character is part of this world, they should know what is being talked about. and thus have that information at the ready.
Some game design issues, like how poorly designed/integrated the "crossroads" keep was.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Like, names of things, etc would be casually dropped in conversation, or, stats/effects stated on skills etc. But, you couldn't just like click or hover over these things to get a quick rundown of what they were. you would have to exit the conversation, and open your lorebook to read the entry on that name, or same with stats, etc.

This is actually a thing in Tyranny now. All the names in the chat window can be hovered over from a small blurb or right clicked for a larger description without exiting the conversation now.

Caliane

Excellent, that really was one of my biggest pet peeves on it. Drove me nuts, and I felt it was such a simple thing that really should have been staple in an rpg like that.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
That's one of the huge things they fixed. Almost every item of lore in conversation has a tooltip that you can hover over. Interestingly, some are actually related to the conversation you are having and can help direct/inform your responses. It is pretty cool.

Gotta run now but I'll write up some of my impressions later.

It is a good game, better imho that Pillars so far.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
One of the things about Tyranny that I caught day[9] saying on some podcast, was that he was really into Tyranny because his personality is such that he almost can't be an asshole in an RPG if he's given a "good" option. And in the world of Tyranny, it sucks, and asshole is word of the day. For me personally - this is an interesting concept, to chose between multiple dickish results. I definitely won't be able to pass it up for long I'm sure.

Fruit

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone know if they got summoning in this game? Seemed a bit ambiguous from what I've read of the game. Would be odd to remove such a feature considering they had it in PoE.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I haven't seen any summoning so far but I'm only a few hours in and have barely scratched the surface of the spell creation mechanic. I don't recall seeing anything in the talent tree geared towards summoning/pets though.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I agree with Jabber, came here to post about the same information. I will add I am 10 hours in and no idea how the game will end around the 25 hour mark at my current rate but we will see.
Current party is Barik with his badass tanking armor, verse with bow skills(love her combo stuff) had Landry as healer for a while but switch him out with the siren that plays like chanter for PoE. My main is a frost mage and so far everything is good times with that.

They did an amazing job with the choices that effect people fates, below is one example of a random conversation you can rule on.
vpYFRxK.jpg

Look at that! I read everything like 5 times and mulled over the story they told before having no idea which to choose. I ended up going with 2 for the gains but didn't feel good about any of those choices heh. This game does not allow you to play the good guy that is for sure.

I am going hard into Scarlet Chorus favor because I feel like I should pick a side but everything is the darkside/renegade option with tyrannical intent and a side of evil no matter which option you choose.

Also as you gain fear or favor with companion they can also learn combos amongst themselves, only one I found so far is Verse and Barik but they are fun as fuck. I am playing with hidden information on for my first playthrough but will have it off next time as I think that is the way to play the game, I kind of regret having it on but I know I will play this a second time.

Oh sheeeet just found a beastwoman you have can have as a party member and he abilities look awesome

Last edited:

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I actually liked PoE up until Act 4. Thought the story really fell apart there, but I thought the game up until that point was really good. I'll have to give this game a try.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It was a little off-putting going through the character creation process and the campaign section, leveling a city with a spell, crushing an uprising, then being dropped in the game to swing my sword once every 10 seconds for 50 times to kill some bandit. Could have transitioned that a little better.

The world building and lore is pretty cool though.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea, that's definitely a bit odd. But the fun part is starting another game and going through that Conquest again, and being like Oh hey i know that place! Oh that place too! Oh I know those guys!

I will say that the biggest thing this has in common with D:OS is the ridiculous power of crowd control. It's not quite as prevalent here, since the majority is focused with Mages and not melee (for example, both games have warrior charge, but in D:OS it knocks down the targets, whereas here it just does damage), but it still wins the day every time. It's fun and engaging, but really makes me want an XCOM style fantasy game, where the best CC is just fucking pumping the enemies full of lead (or laser). Having your sniper double tap a schmo, get a bonus shot for killing him, critting the next one, then charging in with a shotgun assault class to blast them point blank....so much more exciting than everyone being prone/frozen/stunned/silenced/blind/dazed/feared/petrified/suspended.

Still, having lots of fun with this game and looking forward to D:OS2!

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game worth the pricetag now or wait? Im a huge fan of D:OS and those types of games, and the story seems great in this from the little I've seen.

Nvm I think I just convinced myself and I need a game to just veg out on for a few days, havent done that in awhile.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Do abilities feel like they have more "weight" to them later on? Seems like battles are very slow. Or is that.. how its suppose to be?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Do abilities feel like they have more "weight" to them later on? Seems like battles are very slow. Or is that.. how its suppose to be?

They all do more as you level up, put points into the skill tress, and get better stats/equipment.

Last edited:

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Well shit I betrayed the scarlet chorus thinking it was just to kill this one asshole but nope I changed the whole game it seems.

Also when Sirin gets dual Vocalization at level 13 she is godlike, two songs at once!

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Loving this game. I like it way more than pillars.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm going to post this up here so people can see how the game begins. Feel free to give me harsh criticism, its my first video and my first lets play and I know jack squat about audio and video recording, though OBS and Youtube makes it fairly straightforward. I'm thinking about doing a couple runs of this game making different choices as lets plays, then moving on to making game reviews, primarily to post here. If people are interested, or not, or find my voice annoying, or I'm boring, or whatever, let me know.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm going to pick it up but I wish they would do a full dual class option in these pillars games. In divinity having a splash of casting really made melee powerful.

Caliane

I'm going to post this up here so people can see how the game begins. Feel free to give me harsh criticism, its my first video and my first lets play and I know jack squat about audio and video recording, though OBS and Youtube makes it fairly straightforward. I'm thinking about doing a couple runs of this game making different choices as lets plays, then moving on to making game reviews, primarily to post here. If people are interested, or not, or find my voice annoying, or I'm boring, or whatever, let me know.

Chaotic. I better see you do everything you can to undermine Kyros. Lawful evil though probably will be the most amusing here.

• 1Like