Underworld Ascendant

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I played it for an hour or two, and so far I haven't encountered anything bad, per se. At least not anything that would make me rage on forums or give it a negative review. But, I have no idea how far I really am in the scope of the game (not much, I'd imagine).

I fought some skeletons, they hit me back just fine, killed me a few times too. The game is a little too easy in that respect though, because very early on you get this seed that you plant in various places, some you wouldn't expect, which is basically your reset point if you die. Except that everything stays exactly the same as it was, so if you just died to a skeleton, run back and fuck him up because now he has less hps (I assume). And dead ones stay dead. So while they give you all kinds of food to heal with, and supposedly spells later on, I guess it sorta just depends on if you would rather just run back and zerg shit instead. Now, from what I understand, if you quit the game it might reset all that, so it is sorta like Diablo and others where you really don't want to quit until you get to a significant stopping point. However, I haven't actually played it twice to verify that.

Also, you know how in a lot of games there is a chest on the other side of some bars or such? And you think, fuck, I could reach that IRL, why can't I reach it here?! Well, you can reach it here, but that's not on purpose I'm pretty sure. There was a little building, let's call it a pagoda, that had a second floor. I figure there's probably something up there, but I can't see an obvious way to get there. So as I'm looking around, I look at the ceiling of the first floor. Hmm, there's a press E to activate thing here. Ok, activate it. Chest opening noise, and now I can press E to loot the shit inside of it. I literally just looted the chest I was supposed to figure out how to get to. No reason to solve that puzzle!

There's pretty decent explanation of what to do as you go along, provided in a combination of the "wise old dude" that speaks to you from nowhere, and a previous adventurer that leaves notes all over the place. You have to shoot out torches with water arrows, pick up shit and put it on pressure plates, sneak past lighted areas by staying in the dark, etc. I'm sure there's a ton more. Also, my dagger didn't seem to do shit against a skeleton, so the femur I picked up looked like it worked better...but there's no way to know. No damage ratings, no hp bars, etc. You have no way of knowing how close anything is to death (except yourself). I shot one skeleton with arrows and he ran all around the room and up some stairs to get to me, and he still took a beating. The next one, I shot him twice and he died. Lucky shots, weaker enemy, or what? I don't know!

There's also an extensive skill system that you "buy" via how you complete various levels. Like, if you use a combination of magic, combat, environment, and stealth maybe, you get bonus points. If you, for example, just used magic to wreck the whole level, I assume you get less. But can I go back and do that area some more, to look for secrets and shit? I dunno, currently I'm in a little instanced thing where I have to prove my worth by using all those different traits to impress some lizard people. Not even joking. I was tired of playing so saved it there, as I figured if everything resets I'll be fine.

So far, it isn't a shit game like the reviews make it sound. Maybe I'll change that opinion after I play longer, but I'll be honest, I'm not really dying to jump back in yet. Combat is sorta clunky, and like I said, you have no idea how well you are doing until the other guy dies. There is also a ton of destructible and throwable and draggable shit all over the place, and you'll end up bumping into shit and everything will be rolling all over the fucking floor. I have a feeling this is why they don't save the level when you exit out. It would be almost impossible. It's an ok game, and I'll play it more eventually, and it certainly isn't as terrible as the reviews made it (although it could have been patched and I didn't notice too), but I wouldn't tell you to run out and buy it at full price either.

Speaking of, I Kickstarted this, where's my extra shit?! I should look into that.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Supposedly, the tutorial is really long and is fairly well done, that's the area you're probably in. It gets really shit after, but it takes a couple of hours to get through the tutorial(the cynics will say it's because it prevents you from refunding the game once you get past it).

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Supposedly, the tutorial is really long and is fairly well done, that's the area you're probably in. It gets really shit after, but it takes a couple of hours to get through the tutorial(the cynics will say it's because it prevents you from refunding the game once you get past it).
Yeah, I'm still getting some instruction here and there, so you're probably right. I Kickstarted it though, so no refund for me even if I wanted it.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This is on sale for 75% off on steam.
Anyone know if patching has helped, and/or if its worth a buy at that price?

$7.49 US

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's been patched to all hell since launch. I am also curious if this is worth buying now.