Universal remote?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have recommendations for a good universal remote? Specifically, I'm looking to control a Vizio that's ~3 years old and a Boxee Box. Yes, that's a weird combination so I'm fully aware that this type of product doesn't exist. The boxee remote has been wigging out for a while, half the time I press a button, boxee thinks I pressed 6+ times. This isn't one button, this is every button, front and back. Which makes me think it's not mechanical, but something in software. But I'm not even sure how something like that happens.

Barring some product like that existing, anyone have a good recommendation for a replacement for this POS remote:

vizio_vur10_1.jpg

Just a warning, if you do happen to have this remote and you don't need to use the keyboard, don't open it! There's a fragile little ribbon that connects the top and bottom and it breaks quite easily. Replacement doesn't have to be fancy, I really just need it to change volume and power on/off the TV.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I can't recall but I think the Boxee remote is Bluetooth, which may make it difficult to find a universal remote that does both IR and that without using a receiver (Twisted Melon Shopping Cart - Remote Controls and IR Receivers) on the Boxee.

Having said that I love my Logitech Harmony. Have it set up to switch between the cable box, htpc, chromecast, ps3, and xbox. The wife can use it and troubleshoot I if something goes wrong with the help button. Even bought one for my parents, programmed it at home with their devices and macros they would use. Shipped it to them for Christmas and my mom loves it. 'Oh I just press this button to listen to Barbara Streisand and this one to watch days of our lives??'

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Both remotes are bluetooth. It's an awesome feature and I don't understand why IR persists. Why would bluetooth make it hard to find a universal remote?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Both remotes are bluetooth. It's an awesome feature and I don't understand why IR persists. Why would bluetooth make it hard to find a universal remote?
Because "universal" usually implies that it is going to control a lot of things, so unless they make it transmit both bluetooth and IR (since the majority of remotes are still IR), it is hardly universal. Or cost effective.

I'm with you on the bluetooth thing, I love BT remotes. But your best bet is probably that Vizio one Thorne linked above. Even the PS3 remote is about that price, and the Vizio one seems to have a lot more features.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm pretty sure the original Vizio remote that came with my TV has both IR and bluetooth transmitters. I'm assuming that's what the shiny plastic in the front is for. Is two transmitters really that much money? I'd gladly pay a bit more if it meant an easier transition to bluetooth.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
+1 for the Logitech Harmony line of remotes. I've got it controlling not only my AV setup but also my house fans, lights, and a few other devices. The "Activity" section makes it easy for anyone to pick up and use while the help feature will actually walk through device troubleshooting.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I have a harmony one and I really like it. I might go with the harmony hub though when I move into my new house

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ok, enough of you recommended it that I looked up the price. Lol? $250 for a remote? You fucking guys...

I mean, I'd understand if I had a tv, receiver, blu ray player, hvac, kitchen aid, refrigerator, sex bot, and ICBM all to control remotely, but I just want to turn my fucking tv on/off.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Get the one I suggested. It has all physical keys making it easy to use in the dark. It's cheap and costs anywhere from $20 to $60 depending where you get it. I bought two because I like it so much, lol.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i have the harmony 650- 2 of them

like them a lot except for one thing they "reset" to all items off too often- ie i will be watching tv, change the channel and put the remote down- without pressing any buttons, pick it up and it thinks everything is off and i have to cover the remote and press the activity i want to turn the remote "on"

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Universal remotes all suck but the Harmonys are probably the least horrible of the bunch. Touchscreen is a non-starter IMO. You need a remote that you can use without looking at it. Having to "turn on" your remote, unlock it, light it up, and look down at it every time you want to skip a commercial is total bullshit so I wouldn't go with the smartphone app as a remote. The harmony remotes are ergonomically great. I had a One and it was pretty decent until I dropped it and the touchscreen broke. Remotes get dropped all the fucking time and nothing ruins your day like being out $125 if it lands wrong. It did have some annoying things about it like the fact that it was super slow turning things on and you could bump the touchscreen and open some other activity and then all sorts of things could get fucked up. Obviously Logitech doesn't get this at all since the new Harmony Touch put the touchscreen right in the middle of the fucking remote where you have to reach across it to hit buttons.

Now I just use my direcTV remote which can mostly control my TV and AV receiver and I just grab another remote if I need to do anything else. I think there's really some room for some company to make a really great universal remote but nobody but Logitech even seems interested in it and Logitech does pit pretty half-assed considering the fact that the One is still their best remote and it came out like 6 years ago.

Bacon_sl

shitlord
I picked up a Logitech Harmony 300, that Kuriin suggested, for my cheap little office tv. It's probably the best budget universal remote I've ever owned. The only knock I'll give it is that only the device keys at the top are backlit. That's fine for me because my office is never pitch black. If I used this in the living room, I imagine it would suck balls.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It isn't bluetooth, but this remote is the best one I've ever used.Amazon.com: RCA RCRP05BR 5 Device Cable Replacement Universal Remote (Black): Electronics

I had a Harmony 5+ years ago, but it too had that "thinks everything is off" glitch, and it was a battery fiend, so eventually I just stopped using it. Still have it somewhere, but this one is so much better for how I use it. It is $14 now, but when I bought it, it was under $9. Buttons are placed where I want them, I hardly even look at it.