Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians - From FF Tactics and Vagrant Story designer

uL0s3_sl

shitlord
Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians on Kickstarter

Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians is the spiritual successor in a storied line of epic tactical RPGs designed by Yasumi Matsuno. Playdek is excited to be partnering with one of the most legendary game designers, as well as you the fans, to bring out a refreshing, immersive new take on the tactics genre.

In the hands of the veteran tactical RPG master himself, Unsung Story will re-imagine a classic game genre, as Yasumi Matsuno weaves together one of the complex and rich game worlds that he is known for, with inspiring class based tactics game play.
I'm really hoping the Kickstarter goal is met. Been waiting for a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy Tactics for way to long.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm pretty surprised that it is actually borderline on getting funded. Don't care about any of the stretch goals other than the $750k one, but it doesn't even look like it will get there.

Szlia

There are conflicting reports about what happened during the development of FFXII, but one way or the other, he did not see the project to its completion, so that might be why potential backers have cold feet. That and mobile phone.

Vorph

Mobile phone would be a weird reason not to want to back it though. The game is being made either way, but the entire purpose of the Kickstarter is to make PC the lead platform instead of phone and greatly increase the overall scope.

And the end result of FF XII development was the best game in the series by a mile, so I can't fault Matsuno for whatever internal conflicts happened there.
biggrin.png

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sad that this hasn't been one of the random games to explode on Kickstarter. Really wanted PC and some of those stretch goals. I'll still grab it when it comes out for whatever platform though.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I guess they didn't really advertise it enough... I mean there are multiple forums dedicated to FFT and they didn't have someone go and post on those forums with a link, it popped up a couple of days after from fans posting it. But that isn't enough, you need to aggressively get the word out. The Mega Man successor did that really well.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Are there even anymore tacticle RPGs like FFT anymore? Does Fire Emblem even count? What else is there?

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Are there even anymore tacticle RPGs like FFT anymore? Does Fire Emblem even count? What else is there?
Tactics Ogre
Back in 2011 they reworked Tactics Ogre for the PSP. They added quite a bit of content, redid the inventory and leveling systems, included a skill system, included a crafting system, added new playable characters ect. Most of the new features seem unpolished. The crafting system is very time consuming and cumbersome, the skill system can get very grindy, the leveling system makes utilizing new classes a challenge and recruiting the new characters can be a very obtuse process that requires the use of guides.

The branching story is still there and now when you complete the game the first time you can access a mode that allows you to jump around in the timeline, so you can see every story arc using the same save and characters.

Overall I still like the game, but I use it more as a time killer. The amount of time you can potentially sink into the game is a little ridiculous if you are going for some sort of 100% complete challenge.

Valkyria Chronicles
This is a tactical rpg but the combat is quite different from your typical turn based grid system. It's still turn based, but you instead activate individual units and run them around the field in a 3rd person over the shoulder view. You have a limited amount of movement each unit activation that varies between the classes and you have a limited number of unit activations each turn. The setting is an alternate reality world war I with tanks and guns and ancient ruins. This game was released on the PS3 and got a sequel on the PSP.

Arklash Legacy
This game has a different combat system again. It runs like an RTS with dialogue, but you can pause the action at any time to queue up some commands. The setting is quirky and the characters are A-typical, which makes for some pretty entertaining banter between the party members. There isn't much outside of the maps the combat takes place on. A nice aspect is the ability to constantly respec your characters talents in between battles in order to try different combinations.

Expedition: Conquistadors
This is a game that is somewhat in the same vein as the Armored Princess series and reminiscent of the much older Pirates Gold. You have a open world map where you can encounter various events and a separate hex based battle screen. I found the story and dialogue to be interesting and the combat and survival aspects of the game very engaging on the higher difficulties. Was a very satisfying experience the first time through.

These aren't the latest and greatest and none are exactly like FFT, but they are all fairly solid tactical RPGs.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Dropped 80. Fuck it. This is the guy who did the original Tactics Ogre and FFT. I owe him the 80 bucks just on principle. Hope it somehow makes it to Andriod OS.

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
Dropped 80. Fuck it. This is the guy who did the original Tactics Ogre and FFT. I owe him the 80 bucks just on principle. Hope it somehow makes it to Andriod OS.
Game is being made for iOS/Android regardless of if the kick starter gets funded or not.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Mobile phone would be a weird reason not to want to back it though. The game is being made either way, but the entire purpose of the Kickstarter is to make PC the lead platform instead of phone and greatly increase the overall scope.

And the end result of FF XII development was the best game in the series by a mile, so I can't fault Matsuno for whatever internal conflicts happened there.
biggrin.png
The total wreck of a storyline?

So the protagonist was going to be Ashe at first, then Basch because a women could mean less sales, then Vaan because the storyline was too dark, then the players are so confused by the flat gutted characters that they just make Balthier be the main character because of how entertaining he is?

Meanwhile have some cutscenes of Phantom Meance political dialogue and no final boss or endgame plot twist (I assume because they rewrote the start so much).

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
FF12 doesn't really have a main character. It is more that the group is the "protagonist" and that the events that happen near the group is the storyline. And no, I'm not defending the Occulus or whatever the fuck the deus ex retardica was in FF12, but it did have a pretty cohesive story from start to finish minus that blemish. The combat system was pretty tits, especially the gambit system.

Vorph

The total wreck of a storyline?

So the protagonist was going to be Ashe at first, then Basch because a women could mean less sales, then Vaan because the storyline was too dark, then the players are so confused by the flat gutted characters that they just make Balthier be the main character because of how entertaining he is?

Meanwhile have some cutscenes of Phantom Meance political dialogue and no final boss or endgame plot twist (I assume because they rewrote the start so much).
And yet it still all made infinitely more sense than anything else in the series ever has.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Tactics ogre was ok, but I i didnt like how you had to grind in between "real" progression to level up your troops that fell behind or the ones you had for backup.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
And yet it still all made infinitely more sense than anything else in the series ever has.
FF6? Simple consistent story, single villain(easily one of the best villain in a video game ever), unique characters. No time travelling, no alternate dimension, no deus ex machina/conscience of the universe/fate as an entity or whatever the fuck they've been using since then. FF6 is very simple and the characters infinitely more interesting than anything in FF12. Only argument I'd put in favor of FF12 would be combat, but 10-15years and multiple generations of consoles will do that.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Ya thats how I felt. Tactics Ogre I had 120 hours in and my brother deleted my saves when I was at work because I had kicked his ass the night before from scratching one of my games. So I spent another 100 hours I think.

FFT...oh god I can't begin to count how many hours have went into beating that 7-8 times at least in my life.

Cents on the dollar...

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
They're getting close, but less than 48 hours to go. I backed in the hope that this happens. I really want some tactical RPG action on my pc.