Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians - From FF Tactics and Vagrant Story designer

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
FF6? Simple consistent story, single villain(easily one of the best villain in a video game ever), unique characters. No time travelling, no alternate dimension, no deus ex machina/conscience of the universe/fate as an entity or whatever the fuck they've been using since then. FF6 is very simple and the characters infinitely more interesting than anything in FF12. Only argument I'd put in favor of FF12 would be combat, but 10-15years and multiple generations of consoles will do that.
I've never understood why people think Kefka is a good villain, let alone the best. He does what he does because he's insane. His dialogue is awful, with most translations turning him into a caricature that says "wacky" things that are totally out of place for what's happening at the time. I really can't think of a less interesting villain than a simple psychopath/megalomaniac. It's too easy, just write whatever you want and explain it away with, "lol he crrrrrrrrrrrazy!"

And yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on the rest too. VI's plot is far more convoluted than XII's, and it's another of the FF's that I played and enjoyed for the combat system (for its time) above all else. The protagonists were mostly good, but even back then I thought Kefka was dumb. The story was just kind of there, and didn't make a whole lot of sense because Kefka doesn't make any sense.

Looking back on the 2D games, V is the only one I still find enjoyable for every aspect. Best story, best characters, best combat, best use of the job system, etc.

Back on topic, it looks like Unsung Story is going to just barely squeak past the $600k mark if pledges keep coming in at the pace they have been for the last couple days. It's going to be goddamn close though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, they got the basic funding at least. It finally cracked $600k with about 18 hours to go.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea. And people can throw money at them down the line it looks like. Unlikely it'll explode later if it hasn't by now but can always dream of New Game+ and co-op :p

Nulolan

N00b
Main stretch goal I'm interested in is NG+ and that's not going to happen. With that said I'm super excited to get a good tactical RPG in the same vein as FFT for the PC!