Upload

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Future condoms being Polaroid-style video recorders to capture your partners consent was the high point of this show for sure.

Also the Robocop mayor telling him he got murdered.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Only have a couple episodes left. Unexpectedly binged all the others in one sitting. I thought the cheese would get to me because it's everywhere but I just kept watching. Like the characters and the story. And the humor takes time to pick up. There are a lot of recurring bits that take a couple times to recognize. The kid might be my favorite.

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
'Condom dispute in Aisle Four!'

Most episodes have a few laughs sprinkled in, but it is more like a light comedy dystopian future, hard to try and pigeonhole it as a straight comedy or anything serious.

The puberty patch gave me some chuckles as well.

Thoroughly enjoyed this.

The 2gig thing is fucking nightmare fuel, though. Holy hell.[/Spoilers]

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
This was fantastic. I laughed out loud more during episode 5 than I have at any other show in recent memory. Excited for a season 2 as this show has lots of uncovered ground.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Solid show. Good Place meets Silicon Valley.

you do feel bad for Ingrid. She is an egotistical psycho, but the dinner scene during the sleepover episode gives some strong reasons why she is clinging so hard to Nathan: he basically provided her with something she wasn’t getting from her family

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Oh yeah, no one ever linked the trailer, even though most of us have watched the show. So here it is.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

giving this a shot. I'm liking it more then I expected.

I expected a fairly low hanging fruit braindead comedy.

I'm not sure what I would even describe this. barely comedy. not really a thriller or drama either. dramatic comedy I guess.
Googling the term.. truman show, stranger then fiction.. yeah I think that is the best comparisons.

• 1Like

Cybsled

One description I saw that was fitting is it was like a Black Mirror episode with humorous undertones

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
'Condom dispute in Aisle Four!'

Most episodes have a few laughs sprinkled in, but it is more like a light comedy dystopian future, hard to try and pigeonhole it as a straight comedy or anything serious.

The puberty patch gave me some chuckles as well.

Thoroughly enjoyed this.

The 2gig thing is fucking nightmare fuel, though. Holy hell.[/Spoilers]
No kidding you are basically signing up to literally be stuck in hell. At that point just roll the dice on an afterlife or oblivion because either is a better option than the 2gig plan. Being stuck in a place where everything costs money and you are physically prevented from earning money means eventually everybody in there other than billionairs are going to get dropped into the 2gig hell.

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

eh, you'd just get turned off/frozen. and not experience any of the time in between, it be like time travel! but really, the show obviously doesn't think very deeply on much of that stuff.
Like, why would there be pay by the minute? or in app fees for all that shit? when as you noted, dead people have no income. sure, there is charging the living, etc. but really, the structure would be totally different.
how is a staff of 10 people acting as live community service/tech support for "millions "of verizon uploads. esp when 2 of the 2 clearly spend 7hours a day with 1 person each..
if death by A.I. car is so rare.. Where are the cops? why isn't there a massive scandal in the news, corporate backlash, etc? hell, a SECOND family member of that person also dies by A.I. car 6 months after the first...
why would anyone have an old avatar? why would anyone have a black and white avatar? were are the furries and shit that would all intentionally have "not themselves" avatars?

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
well we know there are a lot of different after life options of varying quality so I am guessing the furries and other fetish folks have their own domain. But yes the tech support thing makes no sense given the amount of people they are talking about although these could simply be the most VIP of the VIP package so get special concierge treatment compared to others.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
One description I saw that was fitting is it was like a Black Mirror episode with humorous undertones

It's kind of like "San Junipero" if it were run by Google, Facebook, MS, or any other company heavily dependent on freemium services.

I would say it's one step up on the comedy scale and one step down on the bleakness scale, because other than "San Junipero", Black Mirror is pretty much always All Pessimism, All The Time. There's a lot of inequality in Upload's world, but most problems are treated as solvable rather than "Oh woe is us, we are doomed."

Overall, minus the typical socjus tropes, I enjoyed it as mindless entertainment. Ingrid is probably the best character on the show.

Last edited:

Cybsled

Regarding the discussion of the various afterlifes

Our character is basically in the afterlife of the rich, so it makes sense why there is so much nickel and dime shit going on. Although that seems to be the norm, since the whole "free" afterlife thing got the big guys scared. I think the best way of viewing these afterlives is like a nursing home: Nursing homes are fucking expensive and a lot of times the funding results from them trying to lock down all available assets and use that to fund the stay. You can stay so long as that funding continues, be it because you're loaded or you have family willing to pony up shit. 2gig hell is basically the equivalent of being forced into a state nursing home.

Regarding the customer service thing, if you look at her monitor, she has like 30 or so mini-images to monitor and they confirmed that "angels" work on rotating shifts. Essentially, it's a call center. Presumably if someone was busy, there would be ways of forwarding the "call" to another agent to prevent unacceptable wait times. Plus they did confirm angel service is an additional fee, so we can assume not everyone has it. And those who do have it probably don't use it all the time, which lets you juggle a workload. The AI seems fairly serviceable, so I imagine the AI can handle the easy shit and angels are only needed for trouble shooting or concierge service type stuff.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
How the fuck does anyone in a show like this not constantly address the fact that they're all digital copies and their original selves are dead as fuck?

Cybsled

They do address that. The uploaded person can essentially be treated as property and they apparently have little rights. The upside is their consciousness can live "forever" and the prospect of downloads means eternal life via clone transfer

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
How the fuck does anyone in a show like this not constantly address the fact that they're all digital copies and their original selves are dead as fuck?

They specifically did this in the episode where the go off server to get hacks that allow them to party in VR with living people.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
They do address that. The uploaded person can essentially be treated as property and they apparently have little rights. The upside is their consciousness can live "forever" and the prospect of downloads means eternal life via clone transfer
It's not their consciousness though. It's a copy. Why would anyone willingly kill themselves so their clone can enjoy/suffer a digital afterlife?

Cybsled

The show puts forward the idea that it isn't a copy, though. Like when they try to download the guy into a clone, he's like "UPLOAD ME FAST" when shit goes south. This suggests that the consciousness transference is not a copy, but the actual unique transfer of your consciousness and memories. You'd figure it would be a lot easier to test the clone shit if there was zero risk to your self.

Plus the show has gone to lengths to impart the idea that the person's digital self is unique (the "protection" cases, warnings about how external transfer means thats the only available data, etc). I mean sure, it could be some Altered Carbon type law where you can't multi-sleeve yourself, but they've made no indication that is what this is.

Caliane

eh, again the show isn't exactly hard science..

yeah, when doing the upload/download thing, it implies its way more of a 1:1. the harddrive transfer, etc. all make it seem like copies are not possible.

But then adding/deleting, and outright copying memory files is also shown... which would directly contradict that above. the longer the show goes on, im sure we'll see outright copies of people. maybe its "illegal".

Nursing home comparison makes sense, but again, the jokes on capitalism arent really treating it like that, its treating it more like a web subscription service with in app purchases, and the like. you don't have to pay by the minute to watch tv in a nursing home.. I mean, retirement and life insurance would be an element here. upload insurance. or, possibly even part of his car insurance, and death there. lawsuit vs the car company for his death.

That hes in a rich persons upload would mean there is even LESS in app purchases. not more with the taco shit.