Upload

spronk

FPS noob
not bad, wife really liked the show I enjoyed the first half but the second half turned straight up from a scifi/comedy into a rom-com. I really hate cliffhanger endings, especially for shows that are questionable for renewal. Fortunately the show has been renewed for season 2.

Its a nice change of pace from other shows and its really short so worth a watch, can binge it easily over a weekend.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Regarding the show, it's a long movie. You clock in at just under 5 hours for all 10 episodes (296 minutes).

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Finished watching this last night.

liked it a lot, there remains several loose ends to be addressed season 2-

did nora run away to hide with the Ludds-will she be missing for a portion of season 2?
did ingrid die, did she get murdered, did she suicide? did she actually upload?
did nathan fuck over his partner for money?
will the kid get a teenager/20yr old update?

i like the premise, i like the chemistry between nathan and nora, i dislike ingrid, luke is ok

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
New season premieres March 11th. Actually looking forward to it, which is a bit of a surprise, but I guess since most everything is shit nowadays, an endearing little show like this has me a little excited. I'll probably rewatch the first season since it is so short, only like 5 hours total.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Shit I couldn't find this thread, my bad.

I was surprised at the ending of season one

really thought his girlfriend was just a selfish whore all around, but she's crazy stalker bitch

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That s2 trailer gives a way different vibe than s1

Homsar

That s2 trailer gives a way different vibe than s1
I feel like the writers know what route they want to go with or have a better idea not just a concept

Also the main two characters actually work great on the show

Last edited:

Animosity

All of season 2 dropped this morning. Binged it all while at work since its only 7 episodes. Thought it was fine but no where near as good as season 1. With the way it played out and ended I dont really care for a season 3.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I agree that season 2 wasn't as good as season 1. It lost a lot of the fun and humor. It's overall "fine" but mostly whatever. It's short though, and it's always moving the story, so that's something. It's pretty cliffhanger at the end, but more in a way that's just setting up season 3.

• 1Like

Homsar

On episode 5 right now and I don't see the downgrade mentioned. Also the Nora actress damn pretty.

Also feel like they might go with transferring ai into real bodies if the show keeps going on. Im only on episode 6. They focused on the ginger AI guy alot

Last edited:

Homsar

I get the cliffhanger stuff but dang it they went fullforce. Should have been 2 or 3 episodes longer

Last edited:

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I liked the backstory stuff with Luke. I figured he was actually some sort of badass military guy given that he earned his way into the upload .

I also like the quirky self-consistent details like the ring drives. It's small things that make it seem more plausible.

Homsar

I liked the backstory stuff with Luke. I figured he was actually some sort of badass military guy given that he earned his way into the upload .

I also like the quirky self-consistent details like the ring drives. It's small things that make it seem more plausible.
I did like that Luke wasn't having PTSD and was actually right lol

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I'd like to know how much this was impacted by covid problems, since the final product is really scattershot. C plots are introduced (the cyber investigator, black gal's management arc) with zero payoff, weird bits are brought up from the prior season to negative impact (the dead kid is brought back for one scene to handwave away why he's older to never be seen again (why include that scene at all!), the elevator death is brought back just to reiterate the Cigarette Smoking Man is a bad guy), and as mentioned, the season finale both doesn't wrap up anything AND creates any number of future plotlines (is there going to be a Nora Nathan, a backup digital Nathan, and an Ingrid Nathan?).

But my biggest issue is that this season, with the numerous ways the dead and the living visit each other's domains, is that they are entirely changing the nature of society. It's not just a weird VR chatroom dead people hang out in, it's essentially immortality and a remote work location. How does society change when everything is owned by Choaks, who never die, where no one ever inherits anything, can never be promoted beyond the dead, and can never top the accumulated wealth of people with hundreds of years of interest/investment? When people _know_ they have an infinite amount of afterlife in the future compared to mere decades on Earth, why would anyone do anything in the meatworld to risk that afterlife? When the dead are really AIs, some with massive influence on Earth, what sort of rights can they bargain for? If Choak rents out a robot and murders someone on Earth, how is he prosecuted?

Frankly, a lot of this is better covered in Stephenson's Fall; or, Dodge in Hell - Wikipedia, which aside from being a complete political 180 from his views in Cryptonomicon (future Democrats drink in coffee shops all day, while future Republicans have devolved into the Taliban), has a lot of interesting things to say about what happens when the afterlife is definitively real. Though Banks' Surface Detail - Wikipedia points out that governments could use that tech to make their own Hells for citizens not following their society's dogma.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How does society change when everything is owned by Choaks, who never die, where no one ever inherits anything, can never be promoted beyond the dead, and can never top the accumulated wealth of people with hundreds of years of interest/investment? When people _know_ they have an infinite amount of afterlife in the future compared to mere decades on Earth, why would anyone do anything in the meatworld to risk that afterlife? When the dead are really AIs, some with massive influence on Earth, what sort of rights can they bargain for? If Choak rents out a robot and murders someone on Earth, how is he prosecuted?
Did you even watch the show? You sound exactly like the Luddites that are sabotaging tech in this show.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i binged this on the weekend, s1 was great, s2 was, wth?

i figured it was b/c s2 had 1 writer per episode, probably due to covid
a63f478100cf0d7deb69a9f8f75632b5.png

whereas in s1 the main guy wrote eps 1/2/9/10

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Did I miss a whole part of Alicia's plot? She got the one promotion but then somehow a second promotion comes about and is related to an offer of the corporate apartment or something else? I did notice there were a few elements that seemed like they had no pay off (like the investigator) and wondered myself if there weren't production issues that got in the way.

I also liked how they showed the fiance with her skin all fucked up from using that suit for months. Was a nice detail.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It really just feels like the season got cut short and we only got half the episodes

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users