Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
pvp in these games is just garbage. it constantly ruins every one they try to ram it into. Wasting time and resources..

is there actual base defense? I think the steam page mentioned it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So far just the linear bossing stuff that we noticed, but we're only at Tier 2/5(?) so not sure. Probably hit Tier 3 tonight at least. Terraria has more shit but it's also like 10 years old and this game is a 3 day old Alpha.

Surprisingly polished for what it is. Not yet been stuck. Haven't lost any items. No "this doesn't work" bugs yet. The building could definitely get some QoL but works pretty well, but after Fortnite and shit I imagine there's a lot of tips to glean. The graphics go from literally Everquest 1999 era Crushbone textures to New World landscapes all at the same settings. Shit from afar looks beautiful and up close you can count the pixels on my tunic. I'm 100% fine with that because I've played enough games to know that textures, especially with rendered structures, bog you and the server down HEAVILY. Last Oasis was fucking awful zoning into a Zerg Base area. FPS goes from 100+ to about 30 and stays there. With a minor memory leak and in our big base full of shit my FPS got down to 45, but most of the time it's 90+ at most high settings.

Again my team is only at tier 2 and I THINK there's about to be a big power creep as you're basically mimicking the evolution of man. Stone age---Bronze age---Iron Age and we're about to go from Bronze to Iron. A lot of the cool stuff is we don't look stuff up so there's weapon types not shown on our skill level window until you make/find them. So I didn't even know 2hand swords existed until we made one or got the recipe then suddenly I was 0/X on my skill tree. Hopefully there's a lot more of that coming up.

Pretty fun game, the next part seems like it COULD be very tedious. We have to migrate to a cold area and we don't currently have warm clothes so we think we have to rush there with anti-freeze drinks, rush build a base, rush build a portal for the base and then start from there. I mean it's kinda accurate for the colonization feel, but can be a bit tedious. Our last base move we basically had 3-4 of us building around a portal while 3 people just kept mobs off us and 3 people got wood ASAP to feed us builders.

Pretty cool game. Not sure I seem them adding true PVP for a long time, if ever, with how their bases are at the moment. Maybe when we get stonecraft that will change, but right now two people with a tier 2 axe can take out a whole building in probably two minutes time due to structural integrity weakpoints. Also no locking mechanisms. There's some desync at time depending on your server host, especially when everyone is together in combat like with bosses and mobs can warp quite a bit so I imagine it'd be then same for PVP.

What do you mean by no locking mechanisms? Because you can lock your base from people messing with it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
pvp in these games is just garbage. it constantly ruins every one they try to ram it into. Wasting time and resources..

is there actual base defense? I think the steam page mentioned it.
There are random events that aren't super long where mobs will rush you or your base if you're in it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
We beat the second boss yesterday, the buff he gives was disappointing but helpful in the small times you need it. We are fully bronzed out, still farming it up though, for different things, we want a ship at every portal and such. Found the trader a few hours ago and I got a fishing pole, about to go try that out. Mead fermenting has really been a life saver for hunting trolls, killed a 2* a little bit ago and we had no fire arrows on us, made for a very interesting fight. lol

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
In case anyone is curious, we've been playing almost non stop since launch. This is how big the map is (and we explore a lot).

1612579440466.png

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, that's my complaint with this. Seen people compare it to Terraria, but there seems to be a progression gap.

Basically after the first boss you can do bronze, but then you do the 2nd boss and there's nothing. The swamp doesn't seem to drop anything for the next "tier" to make shit easier. Except food, and that's a marginal help.

Haven't run across the plains yet though.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, that's my complaint with this. Seen people compare it to Terraria, but there seems to be a progression gap.

Basically after the first boss you can do bronze, but then you do the 2nd boss and there's nothing. The swamp doesn't seem to drop anything for the next "tier" to make shit easier. Except food, and that's a marginal help.

Watched Bikeman play this. In the swamp you have dungeons, in the dungeons there is stuff clogging up the paths, when you destroy it (pickaxe), it drops iron. It's probably elsewhere too, but that's where I saw him get it.

And faille faille Bike is doing most of the content solo and loving it. Though not sure how you do the swamp boss solo, but there is probably a way.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

we’ve been accumulating Iron in the swamp so I’m not sure what the complaint are for?

you have to do the second boss until he drops keys (took us twice) you use those keys to unlock crypts in the swamp to mine iron scrap. The gap between bronze and iron is the same as it was between bronze and bone/leather. Or was for us, but the mobs in the swamp and plains are a definite gear and skill check. Even in full bronze, the mobs are challenging and now we start seeing mods with resistance and ones that do different things.

Draugrs which are like skeletons, really, but they hit like a truck.

Eels or whatever, which have little HP but travel in packs in the water and will mess your shit up in a hurry.

Leaches which don’t hit super hard, but they poison you and can spit at you from the water.

Wraiths, which are all around baddasses.

Oozes, which jump and poison you, and that poison will mess you up FAST. They are fire resistant and the red ones will split into two green ones when you kill them, which do the same thing the red ones do, but now there’s two of them.

Mobs are densely packed at times too, so that’s also fun. Lol.

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If anyone is interested I'll set up my own server on AWS for this in some time. This looks like some decent shiz.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So, we’ve started building a base on the boarder of the Swamp and Plains. I had to install a large dock because you can’t teleport ore or metals and we needed to bring bronze with us to build production stations that required them here.

I’ve really started getting the hanging of building large structures and making sure the support beams are anchored into the earth. It takes come getting use too, and I wish there were more options for build pieces, but so far it’s been fun playing with it. For now our structures are wood but we unlocked stone last night so I’ll slowly either replace or build around this current base with stone.
We will need the stronger base for sure for goblin raids (plains mobs) as well as the protection of the giant mosquitoes (another plains mob). Things from the swamp aren’t bothering us too much where we are located now except for the Eels swimming over, which makes building dock improvements a pain in my butt.

so for now, while we delve into crypts to mine scrap iron I’ll also be doing all that and porting back and forth to our other base to mine and bring over stone once I finish the initial base. We will probably wait to set out bind spots in the new area until we get some iron armor or weapons to better protect ourselves.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Playing this morning, iron is way easier to get than bronze. One of our people is already decked out in full iron armor and we all have an iron weapon.

goblins destroyed one of our ships this morning and a portion of our base. I’m gonna anchor our roof properly the. Head strait into stone works. Those bastards are just too strong to keep rebuilding wood.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes, it is. It scales in difficulty with how many people are in the server. Farming the bronze may be a pain, but it’s doable for sure.
How does the difficuly scale exactly?

The boring way - just increase hitpoints
The stupid way - just increase damage done to players
the sensible way - more enemies?