Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
bored goth kids GIF by South Park

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I forgot this Everquest-originated forum is mostly a buncha boomer fucks complaining about ____________ or whatever and not actual current or former Everquest players.

Am I the only one here who didn't get to play Landmark? Were you all in some secret alpha stage and left me out?

Kiki

Log Wizard
I'm not saying the game is bad, there's a middle ground tbh. The real bonus is it's price point which you've pointed out. The game is meh at best but amazing for the price point. I'm not hating on it but the over all hype will die down -- there's no end game. Beat bosses, done.

Now say the same thing about Minecraft.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did a session last night with just my wife, built our first boat, sailed around our entire island and of course 20 past midnight we get attacked on the ocean by a serpent in our Karve

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Am I the only one here who didn't get to play Landmark? Were you all in some secret alpha stage and left me out?
Landmark was good for its time and its ideas. Voxels and mining and creating housing etc. I thought the game had great potential. I still have the last house i built (oddly could only find 1 screenshot of it)
3YmAA9T.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So basically Sony had like 95% of Valheim a few years ago and decided to scrap the whole thing.

Yep, that fits their story.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Nah, it was a pure builder. No PVE or PVP. Just crafting and building. They did have badass grappling hooks and shit though. I made a statue of Fippy Darkpaw that came out really well, but I've lost my screenshots.

Caliane

yeah. landmark was a tech demo at best. no game. An of course no story/lore to actually connect it to EQ at all.

Building was super versatile.... if you spent ages learning it and fiddling with the tools. but, it was just way too complicated for mass use. I posited it back then, and certainly believe it now. The simple grid nature of Minecraft/terraria, etc. and the snap too prefab building pieces of every other survival builder is a greatly desirable trait. It allows people to quickly and easily build structures that look decent. Form building plans in their heads they can execute. Creativity from constrained bounds.

So, 3 failures for it.
1. Tools were too complex.
2. Not enough game to balance out the building. reasons to go exploring.
3. Released to the public too early. can only make a first impression once. And it released to the wild in way too early of an alpha state. it never got a chance to make it to beta or release, because everyone played the hell out of it, streaming it, etc... when it was totally empty. EA releases like that, should be reserved for unknown games. you are only damaging your own game, if its picked up by a billion streamers and is totally unfinished. and played to hell and back at that point.

Last edited:

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about that. I'm going to keep it as vanilla as possible for now. 😉
This site will show you the map and as much other info as you select. Just punch in the map seed. Note, as it warns, it does take a minute or two to complete, so dont think its hung or something just because you dont get an instant response.

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Pro tip, build a pen and then just aggro them into it and close it off. Feed them shit till they domesticate and love you and then move them from there.
Try to lure 2 star or at least 1 star boars if you can. They breed 1 or 2 star piglets which give more meat

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
1615129548801.png

Something happened to one of my new portals where my ship is. sigh

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Pro tip, build a pen and then just aggro them into it and close it off. Feed them shit till they domesticate and love you and then move them from there.

So basically you're building a house, enticing a pig to move in with you, then feeding her until she falls in love with you?

This plan seems familiar, somehow

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Did a session last night with just my wife, built our first boat, sailed around our entire island and of course 20 past midnight we get attacked on the ocean by a serpent in our Karve

Funnily enough, you have an antler pickaxe equipped along with Abyssal Harpoon and the Huntsman Bow, but "You built your first boat."

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
can't you just bring existing characters into new game instances to play with other people?