Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I understand the harpoon can grab some things like serpents, pigs ect, can it grab logs?

I have an idea to weaponize logs, but current method is too autistic.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Been playing with my kids and just moved to a dedicated server. If I leave it running, what are the implications if it is running but no one is on? Does shit keep attacking our base? Do our pigs die of starvation?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I've yet to see one at all.

Solo server, I've explored with a karve. Mostly in coastal waters but I have cut across Ocean
Have you harvested any abyssal? I suspect that's the trigger to get them to start spawning. Or it's just coincidence.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
can't you just bring existing characters into new game instances to play with other people?

yes you can. Some people are *really* anal though about being properly geared for progression on a new game - even if it's not the server they're on.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Interesting. Had no clue muddy scrap piles could be hidden underground in swamps also. I was running along, trying to find more mountains and my wishbone started beeping while running through swamp. Dug down a little and bam a muddy scrap pile.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Been playing with my kids and just moved to a dedicated server. If I leave it running, what are the implications if it is running but no one is on? Does shit keep attacking our base? Do our pigs die of starvation?

I know attacks only happen if you are online(so dont afk in base for hours, will come back with some destroyed). Not sure about pigs as I didn't bother to raise them.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Have you harvested any abyssal? I suspect that's the trigger to get them to start spawning. Or it's just coincidence.

According to the interwebz, the serpents only spawn in "Ocean" biome when it is dark or storming out.

From my experience, this holds true as well. When I was actively hunting one, I boated all around the ocean for a full day, didn't see one, and shortly after night hit, one spawned. I also got murdered by one while on a raft, in the middle of a storm in the ocean (on the 3rd attempt to get back to a corpse).

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I know attacks only happen if you are online(so dont afk in base for hours, will come back with some destroyed). Not sure about pigs as I didn't bother to raise them.
I know that torches/fires don't burn fuel when I'm offline, using a rented server. Not sure if that applies to the player or just has to be 1 person logged into server.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Adebisi Adebisi Was that a portal on a Turtle Island? Or am I just interpreting what you're saying incorrectly? Ive always mined them and promptly got the fk off. Never tried to build on them lul.

Burns is right that Sea Serpents only show up in storms or night time. G/f and I had our Bonemass pop up a 1/3 of the map away from us, and we saw one in a rough storm on our way to it. Parked the boat on the shore and waited for the weather to clear and it was gone when we went back out. Then night came and.. low and behold, there it is, or another was, again.

My theory on trees regrowing is that they need other trees around them in order to pop up. Sort of like weeds? Cleared an entire forest, sprouts and all and its still pretty barren of tree growth. If I leave the saplings and cut the adult trees, that seemed to work the best and could expect a forest back in its place within 5-7 game days. Though, after you clear a Birch forest - you'll have enough seeds to replace every tree you cut down twice over. Ive got entire forests within walking distance of my Meadows base that I can pick and choose which type of tree I want, except ancient. Pine Trees need to drop seeds more often though.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Yeah I've cleared enough forests now to make Greta's head explode, they never pop up in clearings, slowly seem to creep back from edges.

I noticed various animals start spawning if you clear. I leave the bushes alone, so not sure if it's tied to them. I had 2 sets of deer 1 set boar and one lizard right by my base, now theres always tons of deer around, a several sets of spawns for other 2. I frequently see a 2 star deer around too.

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Nope, I barely had bronze and was in the narrow channel seperating our base from another arm of the same continent. I could see land on both sides, and suddenly- SNAAAAAAKEE!!!

Jox

Molten Core Raider

Animals don't need to be fed once they're tamed, you only need to feed them when you want them to breed.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I think it's wild how much you can live in an area, I've basically been confined to this area my last 40-50 or so hours of play. Enough content here to justify a full price game, let alone a relatively cheap early access one.

1615171105034.png

And yet it's just such a small part of my world.

1615171128215.png

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users