Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Oh fuck off its a fucking trailer. Release it and be done with dont hype this up like its the actual release of content.
The hype machine is in full swing for this update. I'm annoyed by it as well because there are still 2 full bioms to come after this one prior to full launch. Deep North and Ashlands.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I was already pretty convinced by general reviews that it seemed great, but always good to check here too imo.
I don't know your playstyle, but if you are one of those people who l8ke sneak peaks at the world you are playing in, this link will help.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Weeb mode! :D
20221122231903_1.jpg

• 3Barf
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 8 users

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
If I want to a dedicated server to host this on g-portal or something, is there some way to select the test branch or is that just a client thing? Already set it up on Steam.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
New additions look great, though it will be a bit to experience fully as I'm just at the plains in my playthrough with my kids.

Has anyone on the public test noticed that the trader doesn't seem to sell Ymir Flesh any more? Is this intentional, or a bug on my end?

Last edited:

Kaines

Potato Supreme
New additions look great, though it will be a bit to experience fully as I'm just at the plains in my playthrough with my kids.

Has anyone on the public test noticed that the trader doesn't seem to sell Ymir Flesh any more? Is this intentional, or a bug on my end?
Did you have the Trader discovered before updating to Mistlands?

Captain Suave

Did you have the Trader discovered before updating to Mistlands?
Yeah, ages ago. I've been play through with my son in prep for the new release.

I figured out what the issue is. In the new version Ymir flesh doesn't unlock until you defeat Bonemass. We'd hit kid of a corner case where my son was making an iron sledge, then we updated, then he couldn't upgrade it as the materials had vanished.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Apparently in public test, Mistlands wont work if you have pre discovered previously. You need to start a new map.

Hopefully this wont be the case in live. I don't know if I could do another 100 hours of building and exploring.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I started over. My character or save or whatever was all messed up. I kinda made everything I could make and then was stuck. Restarting fixed it.

Now I'm just stuck being 1 short of a red foozle nubbins for making coal. Instead I'm massacring everything I run across and turning meat into coal.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Apparently in public test, Mistlands wont work if you have pre discovered previously. You need to start a new map.

Hopefully this wont be the case in live. I don't know if I could do another 100 hours of building and exploring.
Seems unlikely to change, this is generally how this type of game works when they add an biome that fit into a world rather than be added to the "side" or whatever. If you have revealed all the map then you're basically fucked but if you left some parts unexplored you can generate the new biome stuff there.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Seems unlikely to change, this is generally how this type of game works when they add an biome that fit into a world rather than be added to the "side" or whatever. If you have revealed all the map then you're basically fucked but if you left some parts unexplored you can generate the new biome stuff there.
Damn..ok ty

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Are you sure? Since via the seed generator map thingy, you can know what lands are exactly where without exploring at all. So unless the patch selectively goes in and changes your map seed, which seems complicated to pull off with everyones saves having varying area's explored or not.

Captain Suave

I've seen video of people visiting previously discovered Mistlands. It should update to the new content, but the geometry can be slightly different and could leave hanging or bury existing structures. If you've never visited before you should be all good even in a legacy world. As far as I've read, the map generation is the same, except boss and trader locations have moved.

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I've seen video of people visiting previously discovered Mistlands. It should update to the new content, but the geometry can be slightly different and could leave hanging or bury existing structures. If you've never visited before you should be all good even in a legacy world. As far as I've read, the map generation is the same, except boss and trader locations have moved.
Not just boss and trader. Any generated location including dungeons, maypoles, ground spawns, etc have changed when using the same seed on a freshly generated map. Legacy maps will keep any already discovered locations.

Captain Suave

Not just boss and trader. Any generated location including dungeons, maypoles, ground spawns, etc have changed when using the same seed on a freshly generated map. Legacy maps will keep any already discovered locations.
Makes sense.

As far as the biome level, I just tested in an old world with previously discovered mistlands and it looks like it works fine except some trees bumped around when I first walked up.

• 1Like