Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Think I've mastered building over water now, can get 4-5 pole depths. Tedious as fuck getting them anchored at bottom, I'm gonna build a harbor/marina of sorts, and I've already attached a full 2 square causeway/boardwalk to the island off the coast now. The island has a set of megalith stones on it, so gonna build some kind of floating building on them eventually. I have lod set lower on server, so draw distance is shit.

Second pic is my offshore drilling setup, combination of floor, poles, stairs and ladders, but it allows me to take advantage of clipping better. I'm starting on the next phase, higher up dock for carts ect, and 3 squares wide, then another 2 square on other side.
phase1.jpg
phase2.jpg
phase1day.jpg

edit: added 3rd shot from other side, all rough for now, I make it look pretty after.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Can use ladders/stairs to stand in water, sometimes swells drop way down and you can place then, or you attach pole above water, and place poles down until you get one to bottom.

Basically you need to be on spectrum, I think.

• 9Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 10 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Basically you need to be on spectrum, I think.
can confirm

20210310234017_1.jpg

I had best results by framing it out first with wood, then using core wood posts to hit the bottom of the harbor, then replacing those core wood posts with stone pillars. My version of methodically stacking rocks.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
It's strange, I maxed out lod/draw distance for those shots, but now my FPS is way up, guess I'll just leave it up. Performance on this game is so wonky. Looks kinda odd with server lod set to 1, but I wont complain, even if it is voodoo.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Might be common knowledge, but I just realized all the diagonal pieces count as roof. If you want something other than thatch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Steam suddenly thinks Valheim isn't installed anymore. Even though all the files are there, and I can use the exe in the folder. Steam will ask me to install it.

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Been playing with my kids and just moved to a dedicated server. If I leave it running, what are the implications if it is running but no one is on? Does shit keep attacking our base? Do our pigs die of starvation?
I think only the areas that are loaded continue to have stuff happen really. I go and hide in a cleared dungeon right beside my friends base when I go to bed and nothing seems amiss back at our main base when I go back when I wake up. There's some dwarf debris around his place and his pigs are panicked but not actual apparent damage, although I'm not sure if thats because stuff happened while I was idling in the dungeon or the fucker just never cleans up shit around his place after his construction projects.

• 1Like

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Yeah I've cleared enough forests now to make Greta's head explode, they never pop up in clearings, slowly seem to creep back from edges.

I noticed various animals start spawning if you clear. I leave the bushes alone, so not sure if it's tied to them. I had 2 sets of deer 1 set boar and one lizard right by my base, now theres always tons of deer around, a several sets of spawns for other 2. I frequently see a 2 star deer around too.
The trees have to creep back from the edges but the branches have no trouble spawning in the middle of huge open spaces even when you can only barely see the nearest remaining trees with a telescope. :p

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I wish there was a telescope in this game. Or some kind of fun way to expose map areas farther out.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
1000AD? White folks don't know the maths yet? Don't fret, this heavily tanned Viking got your back for all your engineering needs!
cyntek.jpg

Many forests died to bring you this picture. Lots more to do, but the hardest is done. Gonna take a break, and go raid and pillage more supplies to fuel more building, need to get a bunch of iron for tower/lighthouse/portalhub on the island. In the mood to do some exploring with some disposable karve too I've got roughly 500 trees growing, hopefully enough for next phase.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I'm kinda disappointed. The way this game has gone, a Kraken should have showed up and pushed my shit in, because I didn't build coastal defense.

• 1Like

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
This was my solo game and I moved it up to a server so the kids could join in. We've killed the first two bosses and now I'm not positive what should be next. We have honey, brewing, forge, carts, etc. and I haven't gotten anything new in a while. I found a mountain and picked off a couple of wolves but only seem to be able to make rugs at this point. I've been trying not to read spoilers...

1615645113987.png

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
You should be getting max iron gear and weapons in the swamp.

• 1Like