VALORANT - Riot Games

tkon

Trakanon Raider
Game looks super legit. Glad to see gameplay coming first.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dang, no drop. FeelsBadMan

I had the streams(Lirik/Seagull) going all day since I'm doing the W4H thing. I'm confident they'll get the matchmaking right so I'm not stomped every match. That is one of the great things about Overwatch, and others. Matchmaking puts peeps around your skill level pretty accurately. Hopefully they have a plan to curb smurfs which is a huge problem in Overwatch.

Fadaar

That guy
This stream shit is dumb. Glad I'm already in for beta cause I'd be rather annoyed at having to leave a bunch of browser windows open all with replay VOD's wasting bandwidth.

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
I think the reflex aspect is mitigated a little bit by just playing the angles in a game like this. I'm old as shit now but I can still hop on cs and one tap folks on the regular just because I played it so damn much when I was younger. Feel like it's easier to aim cuz you don't have people flying around. Just have your mouse on the right spot and if you hit your shot there's not as much they can do.

Also not having to fucking ads makes me happy.

Fadaar

That guy
You can ADS with a lot of them but I just didn't see the point other than snipers. I forget the specifics but there's some mechanics changes for some guns when ADS. I seem to remember one gun that was full auto when non-ADS and burst when ADS? Maybe it was the reverse? Meh, either way ADS not worth it, just narrows your FOV.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
How big is the game projected to be?

And by big, I mean like playerbase wise

it's gonna be as big as any new thing with heavy marketing. There's gonna be some sort of esports league within six months of release, I guarantee it. Riot has been missing out on the fps revenue and this is their response. The game is generic as fuck but you don't have to be innovative to make money.

• 1Like

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Meh, either way ADS not worth it.

Haha you say this, but the sig/aug slid their way into cs meta with little to no change. I haven't played the game, so you definitely know more than me.. But optional ads guns could have a prowess outside of snipers.

Not sure about burst, as the only burst gun that has been efficient from my recollection has been CoD, the famas in CS has always been rough, but cs1.6 on Lan with burst was a terror.

Fadaar

That guy
Haha you say this, but the sig/aug slid their way into cs meta with little to no change. I haven't played the game, so you definitely know more than me.. But optional ads guns could have a prowess outside of snipers.

Not sure about burst, as the only burst gun that has been efficient from my recollection has been CoD, the famas in CS has always been rough, but cs1.6 on Lan with burst was a terror.

Yeah it's really not one of those things I expect people to take my word for, just try it out in game. It's weird all the guns that you can ADS (shotguns & pistols you can't ADS) have the same shitty electronic Destiny/Borderlands style red dot that doesn't actually have a dot and uses the normal freelook crosshair. Strange design decision there IMO. Really wish I had taken some video or screenshots during the alpha but obviously we were told explicitly not to and since I don't want to fuck my RL friend over that works at Riot I was a good little boy. Also those that were in the alpha were told to not stream until April 10th which is kinda bullshit IMO since all the people who got access via Twitch drops don't have that caveat, but whatever just glad to have a slot.

• 1Like

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, it is hard to say. I'd imagine with all of the ability walls, and some of the vods; a lot of the engagements seem to be close. A lot of the CS streamers I was watching play, Hiko, n0thing, and skadoodle; basically said giggle peak isn't as strong as it is in CS due to the lack of peakers advantage.. so as someone said holding corners is pretty strong. Skadoodle was running Viper w/ some ADS gun, and pretty much going between both.. which seem to work by forcing 1v1's due to LoS and such.

If anything, given that its riot and basing off of league; there will be routine updates, nerfs, buffs and so on. I don't think the game will be stuck forever in a AK/M4 meta like CS.

I'm more of a one-tap type person, so Deagle and probably the G3 looking gun. Regardless, that a shit rule.. but you're definitely among the lucky; actually sat and watched the whole time and no whitelist drop :c

Fadaar

That guy
Yeah, it is hard to say. I'd imagine with all of the ability walls, and some of the vods; a lot of the engagements seem to be close. A lot of the CS streamers I was watching play, Hiko, n0thing, and skadoodle; basically said giggle peak isn't as strong as it is in CS due to the lack of peakers advantage.. so as someone said holding corners is pretty strong. Skadoodle was running Viper w/ some ADS gun, and pretty much going between both.. which seem to work by forcing 1v1's due to LoS and such.

If anything, given that its riot and basing off of league; there will be routine updates, nerfs, buffs and so on. I don't think the game will be stuck forever in a AK/M4 meta like CS.

I'm more of a one-tap type person, so Deagle and probably the G3 looking gun. Regardless, that a shit rule.. but you're definitely among the lucky; actually sat and watched the whole time and no whitelist drop :c

lols you're talking about the Guardian, which I actually compared to the G3 in an earlier post in this thread :p It's a fantastic one tapper. And yeah, summit said this and I agree -- this is the only game I've played where I had zero doubts about whether or not I 'won' or 'lost' a fight. The tick rate and accuracy of client/server sync is phenomenal in this game, it's like always playing on a LAN.

• 1Solidarity

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Fadaar Fadaar Regarding your experience, how was the maps and players? I don't think thats breaking your NDA

It is an interesting formula to have 3 objective points, but from what little I gathered.. in the twitch rivals they were basically doing a 1-1-1-1-1 type strategy on defense, and I think it was n0thing? talking about in the current state its pretty attacker heavy.

and did they ever announce the tickrate on their servers? or is all of that specifics kinda behind the scenes.

Fadaar

That guy
Was the rivals event only the 3 objective map? I didn't bother watching because I didn't care to watch people watch themselves play. There's also a 2 objective one that I MUCH preferred. I don't know if it was smaller but running from A to C on the 3 point map took WAY too long even with the teleporter in the middle of the map. It was first to 13 wins when I played and you played all 12 on offense/defense first then swapped. Maybe it got changed at some point but I really didn't like that, would have preferred 3 or 6 rounds on a side at a time instead of a full rack. Dunno about tickrate, that might not be something they ever announce just because.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, i'd imagine 128t.. but wasn't sure if it was officially said but thats good. I know that their focus is on the latency and registry; so on.

3 point seems a bit redic with rotations because it always seemed an attack was 3+ players at any given time, and the other lurking the surrounding. Retakes don't seem that hard in this compared to CS. But just imagining general population, and my experience with cs.. rotations sometime tend to be chickens with their heads cut off.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand the appeal of this game. It looks like something from a decade ago or more and is boring to watch.

• 1Like

gauze

Molten Core Raider
CrossFire would like to have a word with you.

Graphically, if it runs smooth; its all that matters in an FPS. It's better to have a Gameplay over Visuals in a competitive or esport focused game. A lot of people who play FPS competitively, or even "try" usually play on all the lowest settings.. so it is a wasted avenue in the short run. You also have a higher outreach with lower spec requirements as a game that will probably more than likely be PC only.

Boring to watch, i'd imagine is more subjective; at least for me, pretty much everything is boring to watch.

Fadaar

That guy
Eh it's Riot's take on Counter-Strike, nothing more nothing less. At least they didn't spend all this time developing a BR for it to hit the market now after it's been saturated and done to death.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Graphics look great imo.
Can't really critique the viewing experience yet since nothing presented is how it'll play out, also esports are likely to be amped up and folded into Riot's production setup, which is top notch.

The graphics are definitely not from a decade ago. Put it side by side with tf2 or something and it's night and day.

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
For a lot of us we don't like the "COD" or "Overwatch" style of shooter and prefer something a bit more tactical. CS has always been that sweet spot and yet valve has been really terrible at supporting GO (other than new cases that drive revenue). It's a good game, but suffers from some underlying issues that aren't solvable without a ground-up re-work.

Valorant seems to have addressed those as a core component and added something different by bringing "overwatch-like" abilities. I really like the idea of generic guns mixed with custom abilities versus custom guns+custom ults that things like TF2/OW have. Makes me feel like I can play a lot more of the characters more efficiently without having to learn new gun mechanics every time.

In the end whether they can get the maps to be competitive will be the key piece. I'm also skeptical of 3 site maps as 2 is already a challenge in CS:GO with 5 on a side. However, maybe we see retakes become a bigger mechanic - it will be interesting to see how the competitive scene finds the optimal way to play.

• 1Like