VALORANT - Riot Games

Alterity

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I am enjoying this game a lot. I played CS a ton back in 1.3 and 1.6 days and then stopped. I've tried playing CSGO throughout the years, but I never really got into it that much. However, this game has seemed to keep my attention. I want more maps though!

I agree with skins they are all pretty bland right now. The thing that bugs me the most about the skins is I can't tell what gun is laying on the ground without reading the text. Same for when I actually pick it up, as they all look so similar.

My favorite hero right now I think is probably Breach at least for defending. I am able to control most rushes to the site I am defending and pick people off or delay long enough for my teammates to rotate over so I am not outnumbered.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
looks like Tencent is already busy at work, planting essentially a rootkit to run all the time even when you're not playing the game. hilarious

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
yeaaaaah, I don't know if I can enjoy this game until they change their minds on this. I finally got in and have had fun playing it but these people are fucking delusional if they think that's reasonable. & never making mention of it anywhere aside from a blog post 3 months ago and this reddit post when called out for it.

I have 0 faith in a company fully owned by Tencent to 1) not abuse this and 2) not be compromised

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The problem with their entire logic is it boils down to

"Don't worry just trust us"

Yeah. No. How do we know you aren't going to "accidentally" enable backdoor features and start sending data back to China, or worse .. the US govt.

I'm a software engineer, I'm not a retard.

• 2Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not fussed over this, sure it sounds bad but in this day and age my info is already in the dark web and all over Google/ apple/ ms/ Facebook, etc.

Everything is cloud based, money is digital, basically my PC is only good for games and the internet, and I have 2FA on everything.

If my pc is exploited I'll just wipe it and reinstall.

I'm sure I've installed plenty of drivers from other companies that have/ had numerous vulnerabilities.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I am not ok with this. I don't trust Tencent or Riot enough to give them the ability to continuously run anything on my computer for any purpose is not happening.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
If my pc is exploited I'll just wipe it and reinstall.

But that's just it, how will you know?

A tad late to the party, but...

It has some interesting stuff. Like the one dude that's already bypassed it. Who knows what kind'a shit he opened himself up to, but hey... As long as I can kill everything in sight.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
The problem with their entire logic is it boils down to

"Don't worry just trust us"

Yeah. No. How do we know you aren't going to "accidentally" enable backdoor features and start sending data back to China, or worse .. the US govt.

I'm a software engineer, I'm not a retard.

"Just trust us, we're professionals"

we all know programs written by professionals are flawless, bug free, and never have overwhelming issues that result in massive lawsuits

Lenas

Trump's Staff
As the video says, it's not always about what the developer does with the file but what others could do with it.

Even if I liked it, I would not support this game in any way unless removed.

Fadaar

That guy
At this point I almost want to build a separate PC for general browsing and have my gaming PC not logged in to anything

• 2Like

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
LOL. I bet half the idiots freaking out about this have zero clue what drivers they currently have loaded, and what access level they have.

For privacy, how much Chinese manufactured hardware and drives do you currently have running?

For security, how many of your drivers for your random system components are being audited by multiple 3rd party security firms (Hint: They're not).

That said, it's everyone's prerogative to only install software from companies they trust. People should understand what it entails to install these drivers (which applies to essentially every anti-cheat out there) and make the right decision for them. It's just funny to see people outraged primarily out of ignorance.

Last edited:

xzi

Mouthbreather
LOL. I bet half the idiots freaking out about this have zero clue what drivers they currently have loaded, and what access level they have.

For privacy, how much Chinese manufactured hardware and drives do you currently have running?

For security, how many of your drivers for your random system components are being audited by multiple 3rd party security firms (Hint: They're not).

That said, it's everyone's prerogative to only install software from companies they trust. People should understand what it entails to install these drivers (which applies to essentially every anti-cheat out there) and make the right decision for them. It's just funny to see people outraged primarily out of ignorance.

Give me one single reason why this should be running on my system 24/7 even on a fresh boot.

Just one.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Give me one single reason why this should be running on my system 24/7 even on a fresh boot.

Just one.

Its the price of playing the "free" game and hopefully combating hackers to some extent. If you don't plan to play the game, or don't want to then remove "vanguard". Next time you load the game you'll be prompted to restart your pc. Most pcs take 15 sec to reboot these days, imo it's a small price to pay.

I just had to do some uninstalling/reinstalling because Fortnite decided to reinstall on my small gaming ssd and my riot client couldn't update which caused a file to be missing. After looking around i just had to change a file extension back to .exe from .old.

In any case, in my troubles I uninstalled vanguard thinking it was the issue.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole

Just one.

If they know it booted on system startup, they can be more sure that it hasn't been tampered with or circumvented, which makes it more likely to detect that hacks are being used.

One of the devs explained it on Reddit:
"This is good for stopping cheaters because a common way to bypass anti-cheat systems is to load cheats before the anti-cheat system starts and either modify system components to contain the cheat or to have the cheat tamper with the anti-cheat system as it loads. Running the driver at system startup time makes this significantly more difficult. "

Obviously dealing with cheaters is always a cat and mouse game, but it's just one step (of many) to make it more difficult and require more sophisticated methods to stay undetected.

Last edited:

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
And? You realize that anti-cheat systems don't prevent them from being made/used, but are to help detect and ban them...right?

Is this the first FPS you've ever played or something? This is pretty basic shit.

xzi

Mouthbreather
No other anticheat runs 24/7 without the ability to turn it off when it's not in use. Not even the straight GARBAGE that is battleeye. Yes, anticheats are inherently invasive but this is an entire new level of invasive. I don't even let windows run shit that it doesn't need to run 24/7.

I linked that video because

it's just one step (of many) to make it more difficult and require more sophisticated methods to stay undetected.

That guy was only banned after he posted this video, not because he was caught ingame.

• 2Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
here's a video from day 2 of the beta

There will always be cheaters.
Its really funny people have such harsh criticism of the kernel driver when it's the actual anti cheat that's invading your privacy when the game is running.

The main issue with the kernel is if it gets hijacked by a 3rd party or if tencent decides to forgo making $$ anymore in an attempt to takeover the world.

I do have my concerns that the driver is going to get heavily attacked, I feel like my critical info is guarded tightly enough, but who knows. There will also be a lot of people monitoring it to ensure Riot isn't being nefarious. I feel like there's enough attention on it that anything bad will be publicized quickly, and I'll simply remove it.

The actual anti cheat is more cause for concern imo, as it's scanning everything about your pc and communicating with riot.

If you feel invaded I recommend not playing the game or use a pc that's strictly for gaming with little critical data

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
No other anticheat runs 24/7 without the ability to turn it off when it's not in use.

You can turn it off manually. So there's definitely the ability to.

That guy was only banned after he posted this video, not because he was caught ingame.

Yeah, how dare they not know and have the the signatures of new hacks within 2 days of beta release. How fucking dumb are you? It's very obvious you have zero fucking clue what you're talking about.