Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Aww another one bites the dust. Who's with me for a 1-50 romp? Im sure level cap is 55+ nowadays, but I don't wanna grind, just check everything out
wink.png
The fuck you say....may they burn in the internal pits of hell for this.

So i started last week as a minor filler and fell back in love with the game even with all its flaws. I setup my 3 box accounts, subbed for 3 months each, spent another 100 on SC to get some flying mounts, unbinds, skele keys etc. I pull 2 up all nighters and lvl 2 new characters 1-50 for extra buffs, just finished my complete POTA tier 3 armor set, and got my 5th total main character to 55 who was 32 to start the week since i needed a tank for my 3 box plans. Lined up a raid spot with some old school pals from back in the day so I was back in raiding action with a guild clearing basically all content but the unbeaten new boss....life was good my friends, life was fucking good.

Sad face, seriously. But I definitely can't blame them. Its just sad because VG was the best game i've played in 15 years of my MMO career even with all its blaring flaws. The class diversity and uniqueness that allowed for very specific roles yet not a complete defined holy trinity was just amazing. Long epic quest lines not just at the end of the game but on the journey that had truly ass beat rewards that made it worth it was great and not been replicated before or since. There is alot of bad things with parts of the game but it was still awesome. Raid fights were diverse enough without everything just being a get out of fire type mechanic. I was in one of the top guilds when APW was out and that was some of the funniest raiding i've had. So many things you had to do as a raid and individual to maximize your potential; hell there was only 5 of us guilds that had Kota killed for months on months which is how I like it.

But alas, i'm part of a niche market that unfortunately doesn't help generate large revenue streams and this is a business afterall. I just wish they would try a 3rd option, make a premium priced game that is like 50 dollars a month but truly delivered the experience that I know most of us who have the means would gladly pay to play.

I'm going to go fly my dragon to the dark elf city one last time and then uninstall. I backed Pantheon for $250 for shits just incase but I guess I should have stayed in MMO retirement like I was planning for the next 1-2 years. The universe is trying to tell me something! Sadly i'd already be downloading FFXIV to go back to that since i have a huge MMO itch right now but i sold my damn black mage for 800 dollars just so i wouldn't return. Doh! Still had a 2 box warrior...but meh.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
But alas, i'm part of a niche market that unfortunately doesn't help generate large revenue streams and this is a business afterall. I just wish they would try a 3rd option, make a premium priced game that is like 50 dollars a month but truly delivered the experience that I know most of us who have the means would gladly pay to play.
Have you heard of this new project? I hear it might be good:Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

And the best news is we know it's going to be sub model, but not sure how much, so fingers crossed and we might get a 50 dollar a month premium game after all!

Bruman

Golden Squire
I'm torn - on the one hand, I was planning on playing VG all weekend (or at least trying hard to). So why bother? On the other, that's still 5 months to play and explore, and the odds of me having interest past that, even if it wasn't sunsetting, are very low.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Have you heard of this new project? I hear it might be good:Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

And the best news is we know it's going to be sub model, but not sure how much, so fingers crossed and we might get a 50 dollar a month premium game after all!
I threw $250 a few days ago towards it since resubbing to vanguard made me realize how much I enjoyed this style of game over the kiddy day care loot pinata that is most MMO's.

Thengel

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's funny that, despite this game being a disaster, I still have a lot of fond memories of it. The music will stick with me - VG had some good musics.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The fuck you say....may they burn in the internal pits of hell for this.

So i started last week as a minor filler and fell back in love with the game even with all its flaws. I setup my 3 box accounts, subbed for 3 months each, spent another 100 on SC to get some flying mounts, unbinds, skele keys etc. I pull 2 up all nighters and lvl 2 new characters 1-50 for extra buffs, just finished my complete POTA tier 3 armor set, and got my 5th total main character to 55 who was 32 to start the week since i needed a tank for my 3 box plans. Lined up a raid spot with some old school pals from back in the day so I was back in raiding action with a guild clearing basically all content but the unbeaten new boss....life was good my friends, life was fucking good.

Sad face, seriously. But I definitely can't blame them. Its just sad because VG was the best game i've played in 15 years of my MMO career even with all its blaring flaws. The class diversity and uniqueness that allowed for very specific roles yet not a complete defined holy trinity was just amazing. Long epic quest lines not just at the end of the game but on the journey that had truly ass beat rewards that made it worth it was great and not been replicated before or since. There is alot of bad things with parts of the game but it was still awesome. Raid fights were diverse enough without everything just being a get out of fire type mechanic. I was in one of the top guilds when APW was out and that was some of the funniest raiding i've had. So many things you had to do as a raid and individual to maximize your potential; hell there was only 5 of us guilds that had Kota killed for months on months which is how I like it.

I'm going to go fly my dragon to the dark elf city one last time and then uninstall. I backed Pantheon for $250 for shits just incase but I guess I should have stayed in MMO retirement like I was planning for the next 1-2 years. The universe is trying to tell me something! Sadly i'd already be downloading FFXIV to go back to that since i have a huge MMO itch right now but i sold my damn black mage for 800 dollars just so i wouldn't return. Doh! Still had a 2 box warrior...but meh.
if you just dropped that much money on the game, they might actually make a special case for you and refund you some of it. i'd email them.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Played this game at launch up to 45, faction grinded (ground!?) my swamp gear and jumped ship after several failed attempts to get a decent group.

Always irked me that I didn't reach cap and resubbed at least once a year with that intent. Alas, every time I tried I got invited to Southwatch or w/e that undead dungeon was, got like 10% exp before the grp dissolved and said fuck it/uninstalled.

Guess now I should try one last time to get to at least 50 lest I live in regret forever...

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
if you want a long ass quest grind for a cool weapon go do the zephyr grind on those ogres in cragwind

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
What is odd, they announced new All Access structure listing all of these games but someone corrected them on the forums. lol. In their defense the new All Access begins in April and not all games will be shutdown at this point but still looked like one hand had no clue what the other was doing.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
From the AMA

Why are you shutting down Vanguard?
Smed:

We no longer have the resources to dedicate to maintaining the code base such that it can stay in sync with our platform and our security needs.We've been running it at a loss for a long time.We haven't told the players that but we felt it was the right thing to do to keep it running. We've done it for 7 years and it's just time to shut it down.
Damn.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Sounds like Vanguard failed harder then we thought. If they have been running it at a loss for a long time then that piece of shit was truly a waste of time/money. They should of just let it die with Sigil.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Well they were on a shit MMO purchasing spree during that time. Vanguard was another "almost good" game. Lots of awesome things I'd love to see in another game though. Still played it a fair bit at release and had a great time.

Scayre_sl

shitlord
Vanguard gets shuttered, yet games such as Anarchy Online find ways to keep chugging along. I just got into this game and was really enjoying the experience.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I don't know how they can say they run it at a loss. Doesn't it get wrapped into the station pass thing? How can you tie those funds to any one game?

Scayre_sl

shitlord
I don't know how they can say they run it at a loss. Doesn't it get wrapped into the station pass thing? How can you tie those funds to any one game?
I resubbed station access to play eq2, hated the new soloing game experience and decided to play Vanguard. Vanguard's community is much more vibrant and social than EQ2, this is really a shame.