Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
I tried this game but it started feeling a lot like a wow clone.

See quest giver go kill 5 *insert mob name here* spam hot bar until mob keels over go back to quest giver.

Made it to level 10.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Around level ~20ish I've started to wonder if questing is really the faster way to level. The quests seem pretty disorganized at Skrillen Point/Skawlra Rock and a lot of times I'll be running all over the place just to finish one or two quests, sort of like how I remember Vanilla WoW. Maybe I'm just not in the right spot though, but it almost felt like sticking to a good grind spot old EQ style would be just as fast if not faster.

Swagdaddy

Not all MMOs are clones of WoW, Vanguard just unfortunately fell into that category.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Unfortunately and thanks to World of Warcraft, to many people that is the definition of MMO.

But to me that is the definition of retarded game design.

Question:
Is questing the only way to go?
Is duoing viable? can my partner and I break the "questing" mold and grind XP once in a while in a dungeon (or crawl a dungeon together for loot and exploration)? Or is questing the way to go (for loot reward, XP, progress, class progress)?

Swagdaddy

idk I hear people do dungeons, but the beginner isle was a carbon copy of the past 4 WoW clones I have played as well as the hotbar combat.

turned me off before I could discover anything worthwhile later on

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
idk I hear people do dungeons, but the beginner isle was a carbon copy of the past 4 WoW clones I have played as well as the hotbar combat.

turned me off before I could discover anything worthwhile later on
I did the starting area on 2007 and the Isle of Dawn (few years later) I didn't like the Island AT ALL.

Is there an option to start in the starting racial areas? and is it viable?

Also, what classes are good for duoing? :p (we prefer Dark Elves btw)

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
The Isle is for new players, people who:

A) Have never played an MMO before
B) Have familiarity with MMO's but need help figuring out crafting / diplomacy in the game

I won't deny that the IoD feels like a clone of other MMO's - it does. But like I mentioned in an earlier post, play the game through KE's around lvl 13. Not only is the dungeon a great preview of what's to come, but it is at that point that if you want to fuck around and duo with a friend, or get a group together, you can for the most part grind and run really amazing dungeons for many of your levels. If people think the IoD is what Vanguard is all about, they missed the point. There are so many cool dungeons and zones in this game you won't hit them all in 1-2 lvl 55 toons.

Swagdaddy

Yeah everyone recommended I start at the isle, was exactly like every other WoW clone out there atm.

Already un-installed after dinging 10. Oh well guess I missed out.

Anomander Rake

You may start in 3 other zones: Thestra, Qualia or Kojan. The other racial areas can be gotten to, but you are going to have to hoof it. They are revamping the cat race starting area right now, hopefully they do the same with the rest. Part of what was great about the game at launch was individual starting areas for all races. They shut most of them down due to resources being too low to allocate for polishing them up. Dread Knight and Disciple would be a good combo. You also pretty much can get a group started for any dungeon that way too.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Isle is for new players, people who:

A) Have never played an MMO before
B) Have familiarity with MMO's but need help figuring out crafting / diplomacy in the game

I won't deny that the IoD feels like a clone of other MMO's - it does. But like I mentioned in an earlier post, play the game through KE's around lvl 13. Not only is the dungeon a great preview of what's to come, but it is at that point that if you want to fuck around and duo with a friend, or get a group together, you can for the most part grind and run really amazing dungeons for many of your levels. If people think the IoD is what Vanguard is all about, they missed the point. There are so many cool dungeons and zones in this game you won't hit them all in 1-2 lvl 55 toons.
Where is KE? which continent? (I hope not in IoD :p)

Anomander Rake

Khegor's End, which is NW of Three River's Village, in Thestra. There are quests given by the dwarves on the way up there (on a big bridge). Level 15-18 Technically, but you can get into a group around 13 usually.Hereis a great link to just some of the dungeons in the game, where they are, and what they contain. If you don't feel like doing too much questing, start in Thestra, do Riftseekers Torment, go to Qualia and do Azebaj Hive, then go back to Thestra for KE.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Khegor's End, which is NW of Three River's Village, in Thestra. There are quests given by the dwarves on the way up there (on a big bridge). Level 15-18 Technically, but you can get into a group around 13 usually.Hereis a great link to just some of the dungeons in the game, where they are, and what they contain. If you don't feel like doing too much questing, start in Thestra, do Riftseekers Torment, go to Qualia and do Azebaj Hive, then go back to Thestra for KE.
Thanks, very helpful guide.
smile.png

Can we start in Qalia as Dark Elves then move to Thestra once we get our mounts? (at level 10?)

And what kind of duo would you suggest?
I kind of like the DK and I like tanking.

Martyr_sl

shitlord
Thanks, very helpful guide.
smile.png

Can we start in Qalia as Dark Elves then move to Thestra once we get our mounts? (at level 10?)

And what kind of duo would you suggest?
I kind of like the DK and I like tanking.
Monk and Disc are by far the best duo right now.
Theres lots of monk competition in end game though and it might not be easy to get a spot for raiding. If your interested in raiding i suggest Exile/US or Cobra/EU
DK is considered the best tank in game and a good base around forming a group. DK / BM would be a nice duo too.

You should do starter isle as you get an item of great value. It gives a permanent adventuring stat bonus Diplo Amulett that even scales with level. I didn't like the isle too, but i got it finished in ~2 hours and lvl 10..

Questing is NOT the way to go. Fuck those kill 10 rat quests and join groups in all those awesome dungeons around the world for better drops, faster exp and more fun. See my post from a page behind. I ignored most of the quest hubs and just picked up quests for dungeons, or had them shared with me.

Swagdaddy

I thought someone said quests were just on that isle.

So whole game has WoW questing?

Martyr_sl

shitlord
Sadly VG has a million WoW style quests and even worse.
In fact, there are some areas like Cragwind where you can find kill quests for every snake, rock or scorpion mob around. Its mindblowing dumb and utterly boring. You just have to ignore this type of content if you want to really enjoy VG. Dungeons and major questlines (f.e. Cragwind "shrine of zephyr" fabled weapons) are the way to go.

I think devs added these questhubs in a hurry when they had to rush VG release.

Qerero

There isn't much thought or originality put in to the solo quests. The game is designed for groups and that's where it shines, the solo questing was tacked on as an alternative for those who can't or won't group up.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
There isn't much thought or originality put in to the solo quests. The game is designed for groups and that's where it shines, the solo questing was tacked on as an alternative for those who can't or won't group up.
How are are drops/items handled higher up? Is that handled similarly to EQ? Are there named spawns? I am playing this to try and mostly group and do dungeons, but I do like to be able to solo. It is nice as it has a huge EQ vibe, but it has a better design.

The player base is a breath of fresh air after playing more mainstream MMOs lately. While I'm having fun, my biggest complaint is that I really hate the graphics engine with this game as well as the art.

Pilforgod

Silver Knight of the Realm
Don't forget all the lore in the crafting and diplo quests. I've been doing JUST crafting quests the last few days and have gotten a load of gear, consumables and crafting XP. It's very in depth with all the continental quests, special crafting faction quests etc. Of course, if you hate crafting then this all sucks for you haha. Not many people have hit me up, but if anyone needs anything send a /tell to Lemywinks. I'm a T4 crafter and have a guild if anyone wants a tag. There are buffs and such, but I think some work only on lvl 50 up.