Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
That's disappointing to hear. (I'm no programmer) So, the eq emu guys had eq source code but the vg emu guys don't have vg source code?
Wow.. I had no clue they didn't have access to the code. How are they developing the game without any reference to information? Maybe i'm misunderstanding but npc placement, quest scripts, item drops, etc. where are they getting their details?

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Most of our information comes from data collection, the majority of which was in the last 6 months (post-sunset announcement). It would be great if DBG would release the database to us, but its probably not going to happen (We've asked but no response). We have hundreds of thousands of npc placements and the world is pretty populated now. The data needs to be cleaned up, of course, though (combining multiple mobs into one roamer and setting his path). Quest scripts are being rebuilt manually from packet collections that contain the quest text and quest rewards. Item drops also have to be set manually. We obviously don't have all the crafted item permutations since we would have had to craft every item to collect them.

We also have a lot of archived fan site information and content designers who knew practically everything about the raid encounters and most other facets of the game. Thats why this reconstuction is going to take so long. Its a lot of work.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I haven't really been into or followed emulation servers much, so forgive my perhaps ignorant question, but is there any history of a developer/publishers supporting a game? With The Elder Scrolls for instance you have unofficial mods be adopted as supported. Has that ever happened or have the emu servers always been rogue. Is there a chance that DBG would ever realize they had no interest in supporting Vanguard, but cutting a half-assed deal with others to support it, even if it were just advertising both directions for the games in question? Would that support or acknowledgement even be seen as a good thing? I guess I just don't really know how it works because I'd never been interested before Vanguard where I think it could actually be an improvement to the game over when it was officially supported.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Most of our information comes from data collection, the majority of which was in the last 6 months (post-sunset announcement). It would be great if DBG would release the database to us, but its probably not going to happen (We've asked but no response). We have hundreds of thousands of npc placements and the world is pretty populated now. The data needs to be cleaned up, of course, though (combining multiple mobs into one roamer and setting his path). Quest scripts are being rebuilt manually from packet collections that contain the quest text and quest rewards. Item drops also have to be set manually. We obviously don't have all the crafted item permutations since we would have had to craft every item to collect them.

We also have a lot of archived fan site information and content designers who knew practically everything about the raid encounters and most other facets of the game. Thats why this reconstuction is going to take so long. Its a lot of work.
Well kudos to you guys. Shame DBG won't share a little bit. Not sure what it's benefiting them unless it's tied up in legal constraints.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

Well kudos to you guys. Shame DBG won't share a little bit. Not sure what it's benefiting them unless it's tied up in legal constraints.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nows a good time! Content builders have started the process of building quests and setting npc behavior, mostly in Tursh so far.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Gonna start helping out on this project. Would love to help this see the light of day.
I got involved about a week ago and currently spending my time learning the tools/language. It is hard to say the least but the scripts raw code is starting to make sense.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
That's disappointing to hear. (I'm no programmer) So, the eq emu guys had eq source code but the vg emu guys don't have vg source code?
EQEmu guys didn't have EQ source code either. It's all done via packet collects with clientsided information. Also some reverse engineering of binaries too.

Letsinod

Lord Nagafen Raider
What is the latest on this project? Looked up some posts from 1/2015 and the devs said beta in about a year. The website looks like it hasnt had an update since 6/2015. Is it dead?

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
no most activity is on the forums. Right now, they are working on content and testing how well their scripts are working with the isle of dawn quests, since those are some of the more complex ones.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Jesus Christ the emu folks are harder working and more professional than MMO Kickstarters and Daybreak combined.

Bruman

Golden Squire
It's amusing to think the Emu is going to be less buggy than the actual Vanguard.
I guess this depends on if the constant chunk crashes were server or client related (or both). If it had anything to do with the client, then it'll likely still be there. Chunks very much seem a server-side thing, so hopefully we won't have the issue. I kept trying to get into VG after it went F2P, but nothing kills motivation like constant crashing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I didn't experience much crashing and I played a lot when it was still pay to play. Myriad of other major issues though.