Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Didn't try this game until it was already a ghost town and didn't get why it failed so hard, but god damn it sounds like it was an absolute train wreck when it was released
At its core it was a very fun and good game. If it was polished and fixed up (and had a staff actually working on it), it could've been great. A very big world, unique classes, unique mechanics, fun exploration - it had everything, just most of it was implemented poorly.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Later in the game they introduced a bug with BMGs Aoe heal. Instead of healing it would one shot your entire group. It was glorious.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that was a bug. Certain mob types were "strong" to certain spell types. Damage of that type would turn into a heal. As a necro, some of my DoTs were from the "physical" spell school. Flarehounds in RI were strong to physical spells, so if I cast that DoT on them, every tick it would heal them instead of doing damage.

The same was true of the BMG Lifetap which healed the group. I believe it was an Arcane spell so if you attacked a mob strong to arcane, the tap would heal the mob and take life from the group. Pretty cool mechanic imo and made for some absolutely hilarious moments.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I wish someone would put Blood mage into a new MMO. The same thing with offensive/defensive targetting, diplomacy, and I also really enjoyed the bard implementation in this game.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I wish someone would put Blood mage into a new MMO. The same thing with offensive/defensive targetting, diplomacy, and I also really enjoyed the bard implementation in this game.
Pantheon looks to have the offensive/defensive targeting. EverQuest 2's tradeskill system has a lot in common with Vanguard's as well - just not as deep (like, there's tradeskill gear, but you don't get a whole outfit you can wear permanently and all that, but you do have a tradeskill level and AA tree, and creation is a minigame where you react to events, and the better you do, the better quality you get, you can also pick what materials you use for different outcomes, there's dedicated tradeskill-only questlines, etc).

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I could be wrong, but I don't think that was a bug. Certain mob types were "strong" to certain spell types. Damage of that type would turn into a heal. As a necro, some of my DoTs were from the "physical" spell school. Flarehounds in RI were strong to physical spells, so if I cast that DoT on them, every tick it would heal them instead of doing damage.

The same was true of the BMG Lifetap which healed the group. I believe it was an Arcane spell so if you attacked a mob strong to arcane, the tap would heal the mob and take life from the group. Pretty cool mechanic imo and made for some absolutely hilarious moments.
I played bmg and I have a vague memory of the grp heal being broken at one point but briefly .. I do absolutely remember mobs like the cats in the pyramid area which did exactly what you described above , at times I would forget and start life tapping lol

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The best Blood Mage bug...I was soloing some mobs north of the big swamp ( sorry I forgot most of the names), and was using my charm. One of the mobs I charmed was a shaman mob that put a Damage Shield on me that would hit for millions, so I could just run around for however long it lasted, spam healing myself and kill everything just by agroing it. I was able to keep the lizard man dungeon in that swamp completely cleared by myself with that bug. It was so much fun. I got that character from 20s to upper 40s over that weekend. I was just bummed that I didn't brotherhood a couple of my lesser played alts.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Didn't try this game until it was already a ghost town and didn't get why it failed so hard, but god damn it sounds like it was an absolute train wreck when it was released
Remember getting into beta and making a character on that hill that overlooked the Egyptian themed harbor, and just lagging the fuck out constantly. Had a mid-range PC at the time and it was just absolutely unplayable. A lot of people in our WoW guild at the time was pretty excited about it, and that left a super sour taste in everyone's mouth. Came back later when it was cleaned up and it was dramatically better, but the ship had already sailed.

Letsinod

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was one of the few in the company fighting for pvp fixes. We just didn't have the time/funding/manpower. After doing some testing on the live pvp server, I came up with a list of the top ten issues and the bard invis thing was near the top. When I went to management, they were so overwhelmed by other stuff that all they could give me was one junior programmer (can't remember his name) to do the fixes. We only got a few nailed down before the whole thing went belly up.
Arden, guess I dont know your backstory. What did you do there and were you there till the end?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yes. It was hilariously deadly. I loved those aspects of Vanguard. As has been stated to death, with more attention the game would have been amazing. Most fights were straight forward and boring, but those occasional times where the game systems were actually used were really fun and interesting.

The Arcane reflect mobs really fucked up my elaborate macro system, though. I had shit set in game and using my programmable keyboard that between the cast of every damaging spell it would shoot off one of two wands before firing the spell. One of the wands I used well into APW raids was the red one you got for the CIS(?) quest lines that was arcane, so was healing mobs as I nuked them. Same with mobs that damaged you when you meleed, had it such that when it fired off and swapped wands it auto attacked one round, but that would mess me up at times, too.

It was fun, though, constantly having to balance damage and healing with is-this-a-good-idea metric. Early on people freaked out that I was in melee range nuking the shit out of mobs, stacking dots, using low level dots to build points, constantly firing off finishers, using my own jolts and shit, all while my groups health was yoyoing like crazy but single handily keeping groups alive long past the point of a wipe..... and then rolling on offensive caster gear. The guild I joined had one other BMG that was more a vitality and standard heal type, so people didn't exactly know what to make of me.

A good BMG was OP (and pretty stressful getting to that point keeping all the plates spinning), but holy shit the bad ones made the class look like one of the worst ones ever conceived.

Anyhow, next game that copy/pastes the BMG class and/or Disciple can have my money.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nino, I believe, was the musician who did a lot of Vanguard's music. Healhammer or something similar; I feel like I remember him being a cleric in EQ. Anyway, yeah, Vanguard had pretty stellar music.

Healers in general (not sure if Shaman was a healer or not, I just remember Bloodmage/Disciple/Cleric) were silly overpowered while I was playing. I think it was an issue with a self buff and self spell that combo'd or something, but a cleric could be healing at full tilt and still out-DPS average/good dps on a lot of fights. I'd like to think the dudes I ran with were just badasses, but a healer that could reasonably tank as good as/better than equally geared actual tanks, heal like a champ, and out DPS even leveled/geared DPS was a bit much hah. It started to fall off towards the 50s (again, close to release) but they were incredibly powerful, even solo.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Arden, guess I dont know your backstory. What did you do there and were you there till the end?
Investigations GM. I took on several tasks in my free time though, including testing and communicating with the players about issues. One of my main side projects was trying to improve the pvp server.

And yes, I was there at the end.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'd probably rank PvP issues near the bottom of the list as well. Vanguard was a PvE game first and foremost. And it even failed in that end.