Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I bought VG at release. It's a useless game though because there is almost zero development behind the game, and it still runs like shit.

The only good thing I can say about the game is that the classes were probably the most well designed of any DIKU in the last decade.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I bought VG at release. It's a useless game though because there is almost zero development behind the game, and it still runs like shit.

The only good thing I can say about the game is that the classes were probably the most well designed of any DIKU in the last decade.
Damn, it is true Vanguard has warts but given the clone train of crap we have seen in the MMO space Vanguard has value for a play through or 2. The dungeon crawls, world design, classes and group based gameplay are enough for quite a bit of gaming ( easily over 30 days ) and better in those categories than most MMOs that have come out since.

And yes, even with the warts and yes there is not much hope of expansion but there is enough content there for 5 main characters and you still won't see 1/2 of what is out there.. its a pretty amazing world. Of course if you are not looking for the categories above then don't bother.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
And yes, even with the warts and yes there is not much hope of expansion but there is enough content there for 5 main characters and you still won't see 1/2 of what is out there.. its a pretty amazing world. Of course if you are not looking for the categories above then don't bother.
Bah, SOE blew it with the changes to racial starting areas. I was interested in playing again - starting a Dark Elf or Gnome or something I haven't played since Beta but you only get the three starting areas plus IoD. Screw that. Half the fun of the game was just starting a toon in some place you never played and following the lore and local quests.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Bah, SOE blew it with the changes to racial starting areas. I was interested in playing again - starting a Dark Elf or Gnome or something I haven't played since Beta but you only get the three starting areas plus IoD. Screw that. Half the fun of the game was just starting a toon in some place you never played and following the lore and local quests.
/Agree on that suck part.. but the dungeons are the best out there today and worth it even with the lame racial area changes. That said, if anyone is thinking of another go let me know I have been thinking of taking a new toon to 50.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I think in some cases the starter stuff is still there, you just need to run over. I like the dwarf starting area way up in the mountains so did that on my last few characters. To get there you start in Tursh and run over to three rivers and rent a griffon and fly sort of straight west.

Cool thing about Vanguard is that you can see the dwarven fortifications from really far away so easy to just fly towards it.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Do you miss on any important early equipment if you choose to not start on the island ?
Yes. Extremely important trinket thing that evolves with you every 10 levels. Unless you are leveling an alt you don't care about, DO NOT level anywhere but the isle.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

I dare you to try it again, the game runs great now. Shit still loads in funny, but chunking is gone and it runs at a good FPS while the graphics still look pretty good.

Zx88_sl

shitlord

My first time playing VG was at the start of this year. The game ran itself ran extremely well on my shitbox computer(shitbox by today's standards) and I'd probably still be enjoying it if it weren;t for the complete lack of a population to enjoy it with.

My biggest personal complaint was the need to use some kind of botting software. I've been enjoying MMO's since early EQ and have never, ever felt the need to use them before. The tradeskill grind was so gawd awful I got a bot to do my blacksmithing combines.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
VGs character models are also really fucking weird. I couldn't get past it to get back into the game last time I tried.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I dare you to try it again, the game runs great now. Shit still loads in funny, but chunking is gone and it runs at a good FPS while the graphics still look pretty good.
I tried it like 3 months ago? The newbie island barely loaded, and then the game crashed. I've got a pretty decent PC too.

Regarding world design and dungeon crawls:
I wasn't really impressed with the overall design of the game. There were some really neat POIs, like around the dwarven starting area. But overall it was just really empty in places. It wasn't bad, it was pretty average as far as large world designs go. Just an opinion though.

Dungeons were pretty meh, but I'll admit I only did the ones up through Tsangs. They just seemed like random caves/hallways but together to me. But again, only did low level ones.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I tried it like 3 months ago? The newbie island barely loaded, and then the game crashed. I've got a pretty decent PC too.
The game isn't worth playing except in a static group so you can do the dungeons. Also, you should only ever start in Tanvu. Far and away the best of the starting areas.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
Hmm I disagree with most of you.

Game runs very well now, so well in fact that I can run the client 6 times on my PC... Without a SSD and a good PC you will probably still get hitching even with only one client running. But how much hitching annoys you will vary.

The trinket item that evolves with you was added to every starting area, not just the IOD. This is like 8 month old information.

Most of the starting areas still exist, there are a bunch of them, and there is absolutely no reason to do IOD if you dont want to. My favourite starting area is Tursh, its pretty, has a nice feel, and has 2 dungeons before level 10, and then leads you naturally to Khegors End which is a very good and popular 'premium' dungeon for level 13 ish.

The dungeons are not just corridors with mobs, they are brilliantly designed and often contain quests and unique gameplay mechanics in each dungeon. But I admit they are kind of boring after a while. The only downsides for me are the serious lack of players, the grind at high levels, and the combat bores me even though the classes are great.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have a UI that's not awful? Drox's stuff is legit TERRIBLE
Use coreUI.

Seriously thinking of another run through VG. . . who's in ? I have many alts 51 bmg/ 41dk / 37 sham / 14 druid / 25 rng / 35 psi / 35 disc .

PM me if you want to start a group from 1 or if you are playing now at some level and are regular groupage.