Director: Ruben Fleischer

Cast: Tom Hardy, Riz Ahmed, Michelle Williams, Jenny Slate, Reid Scott

Release: 2018-10-04

Plot: The plot is not yet known.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
This movie wasn't really on my radar at all, didn't even know Tom Hardy is venom. Sounds like he is INTO it though. Is Spidey in this movie?
Venom Movie Unleashes Dark, Powerful Carnage Says Tom Hardy's Trainer

Tom Hardy has been training with MMA fighter Nathan Jones for Eddie Brock's massive transformation into Venom. Jones has now declared that the world isn't ready for what Hardy is about to unleash. Unlike the agile, nimble, more slender build of Peter Parker's Spider-Man, Eddie Brock's Venom is a much larger, more intimidating character. To prepare for the role of the roided-up Symbiote anti-hero, Tom Hardy has been training with Jones and weight trainer Mark Mene and they have released a new video of Hardy preparing for his role.

"What the world is going to see is one of the darkest, most powerful supervillains that Marvel has ever created. It's going to be carnage."

Tom Hardy plays Eddie Brock, the Spider-Man character who becomes Venom, in a dark new twist on the story directed by Ruben Fleischer, the brains behind hit horror comedy, Zombieland for Sony. The fact that trainer Mark Mene even brings up the word "carnage" in the video should get Marvel fans pumped up for what will become of the Spider-Man spin-off movie. Though there hasn't been any footage of Hardy as Venom released yet, it's certainly going to be a sight, especially after all of the training that the actor has gone through.

venom.0.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Rated R,right?
And that tagline...cheesy as fuck

Edit: yup. It's rated R, according to that article.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been waiting on a Venom movie that was rated R for what feels like my whole life. Venom & Carnage are my favorite villains and could make for such a damn good movie, as long as they don't try to go pg13.

If they even teased Carnage in the movie with that tag line, nom

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Yeah, according to an article I was reading about this, Sony might have liked the success of the rated R type movies of Deadpool and Logan that 20th Century Fox turned out, so they want to do Marvel movies of that nature.

Basically they're doing their own Marvel Universe stuff, and it may be a rated R series.

Exclusive: Sony Developing 'Venom' as R-Rated Start to Their Own Marvel Universe

These studios really need to stop trying to create a "universe" and just focus on making a single good movie first. You'd think that failure after failure of trying to short cut these cinematic universes would make studios learn, but apparently not. DCEU is barely limping along. The Dark Universe has already been scrapped twice. Hell, Sony themselves already failed at their first super hero universe attempt with Amazing Spiderman 2.

Just make a good fucking movie for christ's sake, and worry about the "universe" later.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'll give it a shot. Mainly because I always liked the character, but who knows. Maybe it won't suck?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
These studios really need to stop trying to create a "universe" and just focus on making a single good movie first. You'd think that failure after failure of trying to short cut these cinematic universes would make studios learn, but apparently not. DCEU is barely limping along. The Dark Universe has already been scrapped twice. Hell, Sony themselves already failed at their first super hero universe attempt with Amazing Spiderman 2.

Just make a good fucking movie for christ's sake, and worry about the "universe" later.

if they mean "Rated R universe" in the sense of something like marvel knights, a series that is mostly unconnected but done in a certain style, i'm totally okay with that

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, according to an article I was reading about this, Sony might have liked the success of the rated R type movies of Deadpool and Logan that 20th Century Fox turned out, so they want to do Marvel movies of that nature.

Basically they're doing their own Marvel Universe stuff, and it may be a rated R series.

Exclusive: Sony Developing 'Venom' as R-Rated Start to Their Own Marvel Universe

If this is the case this might be interesting.... so I assume no spider man in this?

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
If this is the case this might be interesting.... so I assume no spider man in this?

Why not? Holland is their guy. Homecoming was their movie. Presumably they could use him as long as they don't put in references like Capt. America, Iron Man, (or Star Wars Merch) that belongs to Disney-Marvel.

Depends on the exact details of the Sony-Disney deal of course. Disney-Marvel borrowing Holland-Spiderman at least for a second time after Civil War for Avengers probably at the very least means Sony can likely reference/include some Disney-Marvel stuff again in one of their movies (Homecoming 2?), though the deal might exclude R rated stuff.

If push comes to shove, Sony might call off the deal with Disney and just do Spiderman movies with Tom Holland (+ spin offs), simply not making explicit Disney-Marvel references (though they could try to troll Disney in Deadpool's-definitely-not-a-helicarrier-not-at-all-style) and hope large parts of the audience is ignorant of the fact that they're no longer "officially" MCU (though the distance would grow again between the franchises with time, as cross-references would be gone).

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
Why not? Holland is their guy. Homecoming was their movie. Presumably they could use him as long as they don't put in references like Capt. America, Iron Man, (or Star Wars Merch) that belongs to Disney-Marvel.

Depends on the exact details of the Sony-Disney deal of course. Disney-Marvel borrowing Holland-Spiderman at least for a second time after Civil War for Avengers probably at the very least means Sony can likely reference/include some Disney-Marvel stuff again in one of their movies (Homecoming 2?), though the deal might exclude R rated stuff.

If push comes to shove, Sony might call off the deal with Disney and just do Spiderman movies with Tom Holland (+ spin offs), simply not making explicit Disney-Marvel references (though they could try to troll Disney in Deadpool's-definitely-not-a-helicarrier-not-at-all-style) and hope large parts of the audience is ignorant of the fact that they're no longer "officially" MCU (though the distance would grow again between the franchises with time, as cross-references would be gone).
I assume they have some sort of water tight deal either dealing with character rights or a set number of movies for crossovers. I'd be surprised if Disney did something halfassed and ambiguous, they aren't Sony :)

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Main assumption is that spiderman is pg-13 character and they may get unwanted customer overlap which could piss off some parents if this is actually gonna be a hard R.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I've been waiting on a Venom movie that was rated R for what feels like my whole life. Venom & Carnage are my favorite villains and could make for such a damn good movie, as long as they don't try to go pg13.

If they even teased Carnage in the movie with that tag line, nom

Pretty much this. Hope they don't fuck it up

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>

Tom Holland's Spider-man actually belongs to Marvel, not Sony and cannot be used by Sony. The contract is for 5 movies...Civil War, Homecoming, Avengers 3 and 4, and Homecoming 2.

After that they'll need to renegotiate. If Sony decides to not continue. They can reboot Spider-man, but won't be able to use Tom Holland as his interpretation of Spider-man belongs to Marvel.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I think Sony's willingness to continue will depend on how their Spiderverse is doing at the time.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
The solo spider man movie was from Sony, and they share rights with marvel, I am not sure what you are talking about. Marvel was involved but tom Holland as spider man is as much Marvel as Sony.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Spider-man rights belong to Sony. Under the deal, Sony finances the movies and get all the profits, but creative control is Marvel's and the right of Tom Holland's Spider-man that they can use in the MCU.

Sony cannot use Spider-man in any of their movies under this deal which is for the 5 movies I have mentioned, and cannot if the deal end use Tom Holland or any of the storyline involving him as that is part of the MCU and Sony has no rights to that.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database