Verizon launches gigabit FIOS for $70/month

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I still pay $200/month for Comcast - 1 HDDVR, 1 phone, upgraded internet. I'd switch to this FiOS deal immediately if offered here. Even if it's an intro deal and there's added cost. Fuck comcast. We don't have any other providers here except shitty satellite.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Just got an email from Spectrum that I should be jumping for joy as I got upgraded to 20/1 for free! Goddammit we need competition.

I actually did some looking around recently and there are 2 competitors. Verizon DSL at 3/lol, and a local company offering $75 for 6/6, through $95 for 15/15. The best Spectrum will offer is 50/5 for $110 and I don't even live in the boonies.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Fuck I thought I was getting ripped off for paying 100 bucks for 350/30 and a 1TB cap that cox doesn't enforce. You guys made me realize I may be getting a good deal.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Not having a cap is the one thing I'm happy about. I think the Spectrum deal forbids them from imposing caps for a few years.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
940/880 Mbps Down/Up

RIP Comcast
eat shit Google
Actual numbers will be less unless you are sitting on top of the antenna. What is that, LTE Cat 13? My phone is only cat 6 @ 300 Mbps so it does me no good unless I'm not understanding what this means.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
940/880 Mbps Down/Up

RIP Comcast
eat shit Google

Why should Google eat shit? I've gotten those same numbers with them (upload's usually higher, actually) at $70. I mean, Google may not support their network for long (who knows), but in terms of current performance it's great.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
So what is good numbers for wireless?
I'm seeing anywhere between
5.3-5.8 Mbps⬇️loads
2.3-2.8 Mbps⬆️loads
45-98 ms pings

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So what is good numbers for wireless?
I'm seeing anywhere between
5.3-5.8 Mbps⬇️loads
2.3-2.8 Mbps⬆️loads
45-98 ms pings

Yeah, if that's your home connection, that's garbage. If it's your cell, it's still not good, but passable for most people. For reference, the FCC definition of broadband is 25/3 Mbps.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
shit, i thought i was getting fucked with Optimum's 30/5 for $60 per month. some of you guys have slower internet speeds than i had when i still played EQ in 2002. my DSL connection was 3mpbs and i never went LD at raids. of course when i was rocking my 56kbps i linked all the time. that 1gig net looks tasty, though i dunno what i would do with all that speed.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
Cell data or home service? This is mine from best to bad.
tmp_11948-Screenshot_20170506-0902291141308480.png

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Indeed - same down in at least this section of FL - I don't miss much from MD, but FIOS and Old Bay being used in restaurants are definitely two of the things I do miss.

Totally random question for you man being a marylander. In your opinion is a 6.5 inch crab a jumbo in your book?

Rime

<Donor>
Look at you fancy city folk. I am pleased-as-punch with my 10m down, 1m up (even though it is more like 7-8 down and .5 up).

Why, if I had a 1g down, I might verywell drown in things. That is what the cable companies are afraid of, right?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Totally random question for you man being a marylander. In your opinion is a 6.5 inch crab a jumbo in your book?

I usually would do bushels (most of my crabs I did with family) - so a jumbo bushel would sometimes have a few sneaking in that small, but I'd be ticked the rare times I was only getting a couple and got some that were under a hand sized for a jumbo. (I assume you're talking claw to claw for measuring roughly, right? If you're just talking torso/carapace that sounds about what I was used to)

Down here in FL though, it's noticably smaller on blue crab sizes though, so it's possible my memories are starting to warp though. (Course I'd heard some places do import their crabs from FL in MD - so small "jumbos" could be a symptom of that as well I suppose)