Vikings

Cybsled

He wears a crown, people swear loyalty to him, and he gets all the loot. Even if his actual title isn't king, he basically is one in power for all intents and purposes. So just deal with it...he is the Viking "King".

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'll go along with that, but there was zero reason to escalate it and even less of a reason to do so when it was explained to him.
Haha, ok, just to put this whole silly derail to rest: I agreed with you earlier about it being incorrect to call him a king. I never called him a king myself and I was just stating that it seemed clear (to me) that by "king" he was talking about the Jarl. I can understand how some people don't know the difference between different titles for leaders. I apologize if my statement of that or my neg (which, again, was simply an attempt to not further derail the thread while still giving you a response) bothered you in some way. Let's forget about it and get back to the actual show discussion, because it's an interesting show with a lot to talk about.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Don't apologize go for the throat!

In the period this is taking place and the fact these are Vikings the term Jarl is pretty god damn interchangeable until the later periods when there were strong kings who could actually hold a kingdom. I think Tarrant is right yet being a little pedantic and conflating our common understanding of much later English Peerage, with highly fragmented and clan like power structure of early Viking period leaders in england.

More frequently encountered is the title of jarl, a semi or fully independent lordship. As with the bondi some held lands by odal right of inheritance, others ruthlessly fought their way to power. In the early period there is little clear difference between powerful jarls and the many petty kings who flourished in Denmark and Norway. Later, in the eleventh century, under kings such as Harald Hardrada, the power-broking jarls were crushed

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I think Tarrant is right yet being a little pedantic and ....
All I can think when I hear or see the word pendantic is the family guy episode where Peter says "I find this meatloaf rather shallow and pedantic". LoL

Anyways, you're probably right.
wink.png

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...istory/173888/

HISTORY'S FIRST SCRIPTED SERIES VIKINGS RAIDED 4.8 MILLION TOTAL VIEWERS

IN ITS THIRD EPISODE,

SUNDAY, MARCH 17 AT 10 PM

FOR THIRD STRAIGHT WEEK VIKINGS IS

MOST WATCHED CABLE SERIES

IN 10 PM HOUR

VIKINGS CONTINUES AS THE

#1 NEW CABLE SERIES OF THE YEAR

New Episodes Air Sundays at 10 p.m. ET

New York, NY, March 19, 2013 - HISTORY's first scripted series VIKINGS continues its strong ratings success in its third episode on Sunday at 10 p.m. capturing 4.8 million total viewers, making it the most-watched cable series in its timeslot for the third week in a row. It also delivered 2.2 million Adults 25-54 and 1.9 million Adults 18-49. This is up +16% among Adults 25-54 and +12% among Adults 18-49 compared to week two. Additionally, VIKINGS continues to be the #1 new cable series in 2013.

VIKINGS, airing Sundays at 10PM ET, tells the extraordinary tales of the lives and epic adventures of these warriors. The drama portrays the world of these Dark Age raiders, traders, explorers - not from an outsider's view, but, through the eyes of Viking society.

While VIKINGS is filled with conflict, warfare and bloodshed - for these were extreme times - it is a family saga at heart. It follows the adventures of Ragnar Lothbrok (Travis Fimmel, The Beast, Baytown Outlaws), a curious, compelling man who is always looking to break through barriers and discover new worlds to conquer. Ragnar is deeply frustrated by the unadventurous policies of his local chieftain, Earl Haraldson (Gabriel Byrne, In Treatment, Usual Suspects, Millers Crossing), who continues to send his Vikings raiders east every summer, to the Baltic states and Russia, whose populations are as materially poor as themselves.

Joining Fimmel and Byrne are Katheryn Winnick (Bones, Love and Other Drugs, The Black Marks) as Lagertha, a fierce shield maiden and Ragnar's wife; Jessalyn Gilsig (Glee, Heroes, Nip/Tuck, Friday Night Lights) as Siggy, Earl Haraldson's beautiful wife; George Blagden (Les Miserables, Wrath of the Titans) as Athelstan, a young, innocent Christian monk captured by Ragnar on his first raid on England, Clive Standen (Camelot, Robin Hood) as Rollo, Ragnar's impulsive, wild, care-free brother and Gustaf Skarsgard (The Way Back) a ship builder who designs the new generation of Vikings ships.

Created and written by Michael Hirst - one of the premier historical story-tellers in the industry (Academy-Award winning film Elizabeth; and the Emmy and Golden Globe nominated series The Tudors), Michael serves as Executive Producer along with Morgan O'Sullivan of World 2000 (The Count of Monte Cristo; The Tudors), John Weber of Take 5 Productions (The Tudors; The Borgias), Sherry Marsh, Alan Gasmer, James Flynn (The Tudors; The Borgias) and Sheila Hockin (The Tudors; The Borgias). Dirk Hoogstra and Julian P. Hobbs are the Executives in Charge of Production for HISTORY.

VIKINGS is an international Irish/Canadian co-production being co-produced by World 2000 and Take 5 Productions. HISTORY will broadcast domestically in the U.S. MGM Television will bring VIKINGS to the global audience, serving as the international distributor outside of Ireland, Canada and the U.S. VIKINGS is produced in association with Shaw Media, and the series will air on HISTORY in Canada.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's only 3 things I really don't like.

1: Jarl and is mustache twirling level of evil badguyness.
2: How obvious it's been from about 15 minutes in to the first episode that Ragnar's brother is going to betray him.
3: The aforementioned preview shit that reveals every single fucking thing that's gonna happen after the break or in the next episode.

Oh yeah, and that fuckin' smirk=P

Still, enjoying the shit out of it. Waaaay more than I expected to.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The jarl isnt really a badguy at least I dont think its so black and white. I think hes trying to keep things the status quo and feels threatened by ragnar.

The smirk is annoying. Rag's bro started out a dick, so he probably wont be surprised he betrays him.

The previews before the break need to go. They still do that shit on reality tv but they cut that shit out on scripted drama a long ass time ago. History channel needs a clue

Chrisd_sl

shitlord
The smirk is the best thing about the show, I much prefer that to the typical shouting delivery on every other show.

I have a heap of issues with the writing though. The Jarl doesn't make much sense. He seems to fear Ragnor taking his place, yet Ragnor hasn't really shown any desire to lead, he's just an adventurer and the tension comes from the Jarl getting in his way. And part of the Jarl's motivation seems to be treasure hoarding for the afterlife, so you'd think he'd be looking to empower Ragnor so that he can profit from his success rather than holding him back.

I struggle to believe the Viking culture would suffer the slimy henchman, even with the backing of the Jarl that guy looks like someone would just stomp him and no-one would give a shit.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Set up the first 3 to record so I can catch up on this. The commercials for the show didn't do it for me but with all the praise its getting here I need to check it out.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
3: The aforementioned preview shit that reveals every single fucking thing that's gonna happen after the break or in the next episode.
Yeah that was me. Whos bright idea was this? Good lord it's annoying and they need to stop it. I'm not sure if they are just worried the attention span of it's viewers is minimal since subjecting them to Pawn Stars and American Pickers marathons constantly so they feel like they have to show them what'll happen so they don't turn the channel or what but they need to stop that shit.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The smirk is the best thing about the show, I much prefer that to the typical shouting delivery on every other show.
It's not his line delivery, I like the quiet, thoughtful and almost subdued delivery. Makes a good counterpoint to all the other guys posturing and the sudden violence. It's the actual smirk on his face. When he's getting chastised, after he talks to someone, just...all the time.

And it's super duper minor and in no way REALLY detracts from the show for me at all. Just one of those things some people do that makes you want to punch them in the face.

Of course if I punched him his wife would beat me up. Did you know she has 74 black belts in various martial arts? You should have known. It's super obvious if you watch the choreographed fights on the show.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I meant with the OTHER English dude, the one they meet at the end of episode 3 and he talks about trading/meeting the king etc. Seemed pretty good for a week of lessons.
They actually handled that quite well. There was a lot of potential time between him asking for lessons and leaving for the summer raids. Then, on the beach, he was pretty clearly struggling with the language.

Can anyone explain the makeout scene between the jarl and his wife after the jarl took all the loot from the first mission west? Is just ended wierd, was it suggesting the jarl can't get it up anymore, which is part of the reason he is such a dick and has no more sons (his wife doesn't look too old for it).
FWIW, 'can't get it up' is exactly how I took it.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
They actually handled that quite well. There was a lot of potential time between him asking for lessons and leaving for the summer raids. Then, on the beach, he was pretty clearly struggling with the language.
See my original comment about the passage of time, it seems the show jumps ahead without anything but a cut to the next scene, would be nice if they even had a little "3 months" later on the bottom.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It would flow better if they just gave us approximate seasons and years whenever they did a time jump. I know what you mean. But other than that, I thought they still handled it pretty well. Like I said, I thought he was having a lot of trouble with the language on the beach.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Man I was pretty shocked the Jarl is trying to turn Ragnars brother against him...

oh wait, no I wasn't....BECAUSE THE BEFORE COMMERCIAL SPOILERS FUCKING SHOWED ME 3 TIMES BEFORE IT HAPPENED.

ugggggggggggh.