Virtual Reality

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah they explicitly said to not buy it unless you're a developer, which I support but don't really begrudge enthusiasts for getting one.

I think the problem they focused on more was fighting against resellers who want to make a clean profit off their HMDs. It must be annoying spending years making a product, putting out at a reasonable price point, then seeing the invisible hand push money toward unscrupulous folks.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm a damn retard. I paid through PayPal because I'm lazy and didn't want to get my credit card info, so I figured I'd just use my PayPal login to pay with AmEx on file. I didn't realize they charge you the full amount right now if you use PayPal. On top of that, I didn't choose my credit card and it pulled the 372 bucks right out of my bank. Doh! I have a ticket in to cancel the order and just buy it direct with my Visa.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
So I finally got to try Oculus Rift at a mobile gaming convention this week. I played a game called Dark Deception, which is basically Pac-Man; in the demo you run around dark hotel hallways collecting purple gems, while trying to avoid the "ghosts," which in this case are bell-hop monkeys with fangs and butcher knives. You can't see where the monkeys are on the minimap, but you can hear them.

It was very intense and every time a monkey got me I would almost jump out of the seat. It was such a simple game with Playstation 1 level graphics, yet the experience was more engaging and realistic than any modern game I've played. It really felt like I was in those hallways, especially since it captures your peripheral vision, and moving your head changes the direction of your gaze in the gaming environment. The audio was also positional, and all these features really do come together to create a legitimate VR experience... definitely not hype. Dark Deception won best indie game at the convention.

This is definitely the future of gaming. What really excites me after experiencing this VR tech; Everquest has some shitty graphics, but on the Oculus Rift it would feel more real than Skyrim.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Oculus G2 is on its way via UPS and arrives on Thursday, I lit a burner under things today to try and get this done before then.

Cut some angled supports out of 2x6 and upholstered them:
CAM00229.jpg

Made a little shelf to support the steering wheel and upholstered it:
CAM00231.jpg

Built a little shelf to mount the stick shift:
is5MiFH4DfC35mNxBVd18XXiVwPlqXp9us42Gk_2cB4=w171-h226-p-no

Mounted the peripherals:
CAM00237.jpg

CAM00239.jpg

Tomorrow I need to paint the uprights and put on some Ferrari stickers I found on Ebay.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
That's awesome. I've wanted to do something similar for a while(even without an Oculus). Did you follow some kind of plan or wing it, as far as the design? If a plan, do you have a link/source?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm surprised I haven't seen any kickstarters for motorized seats to go with the Rift yet.

I wonder what kind of cost you could get the system down too, and how well it keeps up to abuse.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's awesome. I've wanted to do something similar for a while(even without an Oculus). Did you follow some kind of plan or wing it, as far as the design? If a plan, do you have a link/source?
Yep I followed the deathmobile plans off of insidesimracing, they were the easiest ones I found and I had a lot of the parts already sitting around as leftovers from other stuff.

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/46...bile-wood-rig/

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got it painted up and some finishing touches applied today.

rrr_img_72173.jpg

I moved it into the theater room to play a few games on the big screen until the Oculus rift shows up.
rrr_img_72172.jpg

I had a leftover transducer from the theater build that I bolted beneath the seat.
rrr_img_72174.jpg

The next step is to get the new amp rack mounted and the buttkicker hooked up and working.

rrr_img_72171.jpg

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Some large changes to the SDK seem to have made backwards compatibility a bit of a pain in the ass...

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I can see this thing being huge in the home buying market. You could look at 20 houses in the time it would take you to visit 1. Instead of driving all over the fucking place you could just visit the real estate agent and put on the oculous and easily narrow your choice down.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I can see this thing being huge in the home buying market. You could look at 20 houses in the time it would take you to visit 1. Instead of driving all over the fucking place you could just visit the real estate agent and put on the oculous and easily narrow your choice down.
Or you could just live in a shitty apartment, but buy a mansion online and live inside your Oculus! The possibilities are endless!!!

NsBrmUd.gif
NsBrmUd.gif

NsBrmUd.gif
NsBrmUd.gif

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah but real estate agents will probably be against it because half their game is selling the house to someone. And if you're a seller you'll want the snakiest oilest salesperson on your side.

I do think it'd be cool though and would love to be able to do immersive 3d walk throughs of homes.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah but real estate agents will probably be against it because half their game is selling the house to someone. And if you're a seller you'll want the snakiest oilest salesperson on your side.

I do think it'd be cool though and would love to be able to do immersive 3d walk throughs of homes.
That's why you can only get this at the real estate agents office. That way they can walk around with you while giving you the sales pitch. At least that is how I would set it up. I don't see the average seller haveing access to a 360 camera or whatever they use to completly record the home. I think real estate agents would love it just because they can expose you to more homes faster.

Column_sl

shitlord
Quick impressions while I unbox it. Way lighter then the original model.

The case is cardboard now versus the Beautiful Plastic briefcase on the original one. I guess that is where they cut some costs.\

Only 2 sets of lens versus the 3 sets of lens of the original model,

Break out Box is much much smaller, and is designed to flow over the top of the headset. Not sure how I feel about that yet.

Szlia

The super oculus designed driving seat is missing a stand for the bucket, because I believe all the tests that have been made to make driving games using VR headsets result in massive nausea (one of the SCE honcho said as much when talking about Morpheus and the need to experiment and find what can and can't be done as far as VR games go).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The super oculus designed driving seat is missing a stand for the bucket, because I believe all the tests that have been made to make driving games using VR headsets result in massive nausea (one of the SCE honcho said as much when talking about Morpheus and the need to experiment and find what can and can't be done as far as VR games go).
Which seat are you talking about? I haven't seen any good motorized seat + oculus setups yet.