Virtual Reality

Column_sl

shitlord
Welp, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the headset is only a slight step up from the last one.
It's something I feared after seeing that resolution chart months ago.

You can theorycraft all you want on the specs, but I'm a tad disappointed.

I'll just get into the specifics. BTW I own both the DK1 and the DK2

1) The headset even with the new tracker still causes motion sickness ( not as bad as the first one but it's still here) I'm not prone to motion sickness, so I tested on two people that are, and they both had to take it off within a 5 min frame.
2) the tracker is dumb as fuck, it has to be in direct line of sight of the sensor at the top of the DK2, so if you look down it loses its tracking
3) The headset allows way too much light to get in, and it feels like the FOV was way larger on the DK1 ( could be a placebo effect , IDK)
4) the resolution bump barely helped at all, it's less blurry for sure but still not even close to being were it should be.
5) out of the box barely anything works on the DK2. You get the Tuscony demo, and a couple of other demos on there site ,and that is it. Not even Halflife 2 works.

It's not even close to being ready for the masses. They need at least 2 more years of dev time on this.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Welp, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the headset is only a slight step up from the last one.
It's something I feared after seeing that resolution chart months ago.

You can theorycraft all you want on the specs, but I'm a tad disappointed.

I'll just get into the specifics. BTW I own both the DK1 and the DK2

1) The headset even with the new tracker still causes motion sickness ( not as bad as the first one but it's still here) I'm not prone to motion sickness, so I tested on two people that are, and they both had to take it off within a 5 min frame.
2) the tracker is dumb as fuck, it has to be in direct line of sight of the sensor at the top of the DK2, so if you look down it loses its tracking
3) The headset allows way too much light to get in, and it feels like the FOV was way larger on the DK1 ( could be a placebo effect , IDK)
4) the resolution bump barely helped at all, it's less blurry for sure but still not even close to being were it should be.
5) out of the box barely anything works on the DK2. You get the Tuscony demo, and a couple of other demos on there site ,and that is it. Not even Halflife 2 works.
2) I haven't noticed this myself, not that there's much to play yet.
3) Mine seems perfectly fine as far as blocking out light goes. I don't see any light spots when I wear it. The FoV has decreased by 10% though. That's been confirmed on Reddit.
4) You can still see the pixels but the screen door effect is almost totally gone. I doubt they're ever going to be able to get rid of the problem since the screen is so close to your face.
5) This is like I mentioned above but I think it'll get resolved fairly quickly. Most developers will be fairly quick to update their stuff to the new SDK though software like VorpX/TriDef may be a while. The Rift itself will hopefully see some of the bugs ironed out soon.

Column_sl

shitlord
I'm interested to see what the PS4 comes up with after this.

I was very excited when I got my Dk1 ,and raved about in this thread. DK2 is not worth the upgrade.

Maybe I will change my mind when Half Life 2 can be played again, but I doubt it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
That's why you can only get this at the real estate agents office. That way they can walk around with you while giving you the sales pitch. At least that is how I would set it up. I don't see the average seller haveing access to a 360 camera or whatever they use to completly record the home. I think real estate agents would love it just because they can expose you to more homes faster.
You almost do this now, but with pictures. Essentially an agent will give you a large list of homes and you can take a look at them on a website with plenty of pictures. You then choose a handful and you go look at them in person. You essentially avoid looking at a lot of homes you have no interest in.

Vitality

HUSTLE
You almost do this now, but with pictures. Essentially an agent will give you a large list of homes and you can take a look at them on a website with plenty of pictures. You then choose a handful and you go look at them in person. You essentially avoid looking at a lot of homes you have no interest in.
The GF is an interior designer at a third party firm Boeing contracts, they have an Occulus setup to tour you through some theoretical designs for new Jet Liners. It's pretty neat. They also have 3D Projector rooms setup with motion capture modules that tour you through some stuff too.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm interested to see what the PS4 comes up with after this.

I was very excited when I got my Dk1 ,and raved about in this thread. DK2 is not worth the upgrade.

Maybe I will change my mind when Half Life 2 can be played again, but I doubt it.
I was excited when I got my DK1 but the low res and motion sickness really killed any chance of me raving about it. I am a strong proponent of VR though, and I am very excited to try out my DK2 tomorrow. I have a feeling I'll be the exact opposite of you in that I wasn't crazy about DK1 but I think I'll enjoy the DK2. We'll see tomorrow night. If you haven't tried that swedish or danish rollercoaster sim on the DK2, give it a try. It was one of the better DK1 demos and I saw that they have it updated. Think it is called Helix.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I went through that process last year and it can be very misleading. I lost count on how many homes I visited that looked good on the photos but when you got the complete picture with actually visiting it and looking around it was completly different.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, if you want to play it now, it's expensive. I'll buy it when it's actually released.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I went through that process last year and it can be very misleading. I lost count on how many homes I visited that looked good on the photos but when you got the complete picture with actually visiting it and looking around it was completly different.
Not to derail, but yes that happens, but at least you can cut out a whole bunch of really shitty ones before you get to the hidden shitty ones.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm starting to wonder if the Samsung version is going to be the better bet then the Oculus. You already have the phone so you can in theory have a much more expensive product with better specs for cheaper then the Oculus.

Citz

Silver Squire
No matter which product you choose, the FoV is still going to be shit. The exponential requirement to compute a wider FoV seems to be the limiting factor.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm pretty sure any company can make a better product then the DK2 at this point, it's not well made at all.
Seriously? Buyers remorse or is it really that shitty? I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I modded the fire extinguisher to make it look like a NOS bottle for the hell of it:

rrr_img_72465.jpg

Column_sl

shitlord
No, you misunderstand. It's very good, in fact if you have never tried out the Rift you will be blown away.

That being said since I've owned a rift for over a year so it doesn't feel like that much of an upgrade. Nothing close to what I was hoping for.

The Thing I hate the most is there nothing to test it out on except a hand full of shitty ass demos. Even the Tuscany demo was scaled back.
How can you not have Half Life 2 compatibly out of the box?

Like I assume you built that rig so you could play driving games? good luck getting anything to function on the DK2

No matter which product you choose, the FoV is still going to be shit. The exponential requirement to compute a wider FoV seems to be the limiting factor.
The FOV was pretty good on the DK1, its noticeably scaled back on the DK2, and I'm not sure why.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Column thx for explaining, you are right I didn't understand you.

It sounds like you really liked the first one, while I wanted to like it but the shitty resolution just killed it for me. I'm setting my hopes pretty high that the higher resolution on the new panel will make it more usable for me. UPS is showing delivery today "end of day"

You are right I built that driving rig just for the DK2 and Assetto Corso, and you are right it doesn't work yet
frown.png
They are saying they should have a build end of August so I'm going to have to wait a while.