Virtual Reality

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I tried a google cardboard tonight and the shadowgun VR and holy shit I was about ready to puke about 5 seconds in. I've never experienced VR before, but I now figure I will probably never be able to play oculus rift. That sucks.
There's a learning curve (getting your VR legs as it were) but VR can be nausea inducing if one of a handful of problems exist. It's only when all the stars align that it really is worth it.

Stave

Potato del Grande
What I need to do is find somewhere to "demo" one of these things. I'm thinking cardboard and it's shitty lenses might not be calibrated or aligned properly or whatnot and might make matters worse. I have a 3d monitor and can game in 3d with just fine with no nausea. I did preorder a Note 4, so I may have to pick one up one of the Samsung VR headsets if they ever come down in price or put up demos at cell phone stores.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
cool experiment people are trying to put together:
Seeing I: 28 days living only through Virtual Reality by Seeing I Kickstarter

tldr: They're going to attach camera/microphones to some dude named 'other', record everything he does, then play it back with a 6 day delay for another dude named 'mark' who will live in 100% seclusion in an apartment. Mark will eat, pee and crap at the same time as other and generally match his activities to a small extent. The experiment seeks to determine how much Mark will loose his sense of self over that mount.

I think another good question this experiment would answer is how much more exciting does Other try to make his life if he knows someone will be virtually living through it? If I was the other I'd hope that Mark enjoyed watching people play games, write software and troll the internet, but I'd feel like maybe I should go out and interact with people more just for Mark's sake.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Nice. Note that it's an 'innovator edition' so don't expect a full consumer experience. I imagine they'll have the same problem as the DK2 does now: A bit of a lack of good VR content that goes beyond short demos and some software issues. Good thing about GearVR is that it's more of a closed system so you shouldn't have to wrangle the settings to get the damn thing to display on the right monitor. The Rift's DK2 option of 'direct to rift' still hasn't taken off yet, even the manufacturer's demo crashes in direct to rift mode for me in the latest SDK (0.4.4) lol.

spronk

FPS noob
Got to try the Crescent Bay unit at CES yesterday, have previously used DK2 a few times at shows (keep meaning to buy one but I forget and now I'm glad). It was definitely an improvement over DK2, not HUGE but minor. Weight of unit is lower and it doesn't feel "forward heavy" anymore. Screen quality is better, I noticed a lot less moire'ing although the FOV still isn't ideal imo. It focused right away when I put it on, didn't have to do any adjustments or anything unlike DK2. A headset is built in now although apparently its removable from what other people say.

All in all great shit, the booth next to it was selling that goofy unit that lets you walk and run on a pad and get feedback into the Oculus. They didn't announce anything official yet at CES but all indications are that they will announce the consumer model specs very soon and set a launch date, the CTO guy was talking about how they have been working with manufacturing plants on getting ready to crank out stuff faster.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How did the optics seem? I heard they were much better. The optics bother me a lot in the DK2, there's a very small area for visual clarity and if you look to the edges everything is blurry.

I'm glad they are making incremental progress, I just wish that getting the rift to work with demo's wasn't still such a pain in the ass. Direct to Rift mode has been a total failure thus far.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Tuco don't you tell at people at alpha or beta testing games? Here you are testing tech for money.
smile.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tuco don't you tell at people at alpha or beta testing games? Here you are testing tech for money.
smile.png
I use the device professionally.

Besides, my argument toward reconsidering playing alphas/betas heavily is that you'll burn out before the game comes out. Ex: I think you spent more time jerking off on ArcheAge builds on a website than playing the game in release. With VR it's not like you'll burn out. Either the medium will make it big and enthusiast gamers will be using VR indefinitely or it won't.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Here's Tuco using his device professionally:

spronk

FPS noob
How did the optics seem? I heard they were much better. The optics bother me a lot in the DK2, there's a very small area for visual clarity and if you look to the edges everything is blurry.

I'm glad they are making incremental progress, I just wish that getting the rift to work with demo's wasn't still such a pain in the ass. Direct to Rift mode has been a total failure thus far.
I didn't notice any blur but to be fair I never had that problem with DK2 either, so dunno if that part changed at all. I don't wear glasses/contacts so dunno if that makes a difference. Here's a video I noticed from CES so you can see what CB looks like they mention the minor tweaks in the first 2 minutes

Column_sl

shitlord
Problem is the resolution imho.

This is something I addressed when then Rift 2 first came out.

Needs to be 4k for it to get closer to what we expect out of VR, and that will limit what games it can play because of the horse power your computer would have to output.

So were about another 5-10 years out till really good VR hits the market.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Have fun, let us know what demo's/games you like and be prepared to go through some technical problems before it works. Took me an hour from first power on to the first time I was able to get an image working, thought I'd have to RMA it, lol.