Virtual Reality

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Just got this bad boy today! Can't wait to try it out tonight!

rrr_img_88518.jpg
Well man? What is your experience like?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Maybe it should be in its own thread, but this is pretty interesting.

All the tech reporters who have been invited to try it seem to think it's pretty legit. It's the first time augmented reality has really looked realistic at all.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I haven't seen any good reviews of it yet. As in, reviews from people who care more about the tech than hyping the tech to get more clicks.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Seems really "pie in the sky", but everyone who has had hands-on, seems pretty positive about it. I look forward to seeing more about it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I haven't seen any good reviews of it yet. As in, reviews from people who care more about the tech than hyping the tech to get more clicks.
Who would that be? Ars Technica, The Verge, Paul Thurrott etc. have all tried it and I consider them pretty legit and definitely not afraid to criticize Microsoft.

Column_sl

shitlord
It has the same problem as the Oculus, the resolution has to be 4k, or more due to how close you are to the screen.

If the glasses work like a projector that's even worse.
We're looking at another decade to we get close to the sharpness of that demo video for anything complex.

The only way we can go faster is if someone reinvents the wheel, and if that happens that will effect every entertainment device not just VR, or holo imagery.
Not to mention how we move data.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't think you read either of those sites if you think they are hype for Microsoft.
I'm not making the claim that Ars Technica is in the bag for Microsoft. I'm making the claim that it's a hype piece written to generate as many hits as possible by lauding a new technology that few people (all press from what I can tell and none with VR/AR credentials?) have tried.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
HTC / Steam VR effort announced today:HTC Re Vive

Valves made by HTC | The Verge

What are the expectations for game compatibility with multiple VR headsets looming? Games going to end up branded with their flavor of VR support and exclusively only support them, or too soon to tell?

Siliconemelons

HTC / Steam VR effort announced today:HTC Re Vive

Valves made by HTC | The Verge

What are the expectations for game compatibility with multiple VR headsets looming? Games going to end up branded with their flavor of VR support and exclusively only support them, or too soon to tell?
I think they are ahead of themselves if they want to start doing specific VR applications and standards - VR is to young and fragile - the fragmentation is what has kept it from growing and OR attempted to fix- its going backwards the other way.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I hope that OVR is wildly successful, partners up with Valve and makes VR standards for other people to follow. With OVR/Valve doing all the research there will be a low entry cost for making a VR product, which means a lot of people trying a lot of different things. OVR could stifle that competition by locking everything down apple style, but they claim they don't want to.

I think Valve will always push for openness and VR standards because their $$ is from Steam and they want Steam to have maximum market share, so they're happy to work with Oculus et all to get their products compatible with Steam.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
any chance the new gear vr will be good? what is there to do with it? they're going to sell a lot of s6's so that could be a big new audience.

some friends tried out AltSpaceVR last weekend and said it was unbelievably good.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Sony showing off revised Morpheus at GDC, 1920 x 1080 and 120hz.