Virtual Reality

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
rrr_img_105848.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The DK2 should be exactly what you want (Like he says the ac adapter isn't a proprietary thing and easy to replace). But in case something happens, don't get a DK1, get a DK2, they are not interchangeable at all.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Unless you really MUST have one now I'd hold off for the CV1. I believe it's still due out in Q1 of next year. They've claimed that preorders will be sometime this year.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you are buying it to collect it and have it forever, then you may want the 1 and not the 2. If you are buying it to just use it and have some fun, I'd take Skanda's advice and hold off a bit. The CV1 is going to be a huge improvement for probably not much more $$$, who knows it may even cost less.

spronk

FPS noob
oculus conference is sept 23 - 25th should see release date, prices, and specs announced there

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Hope Carmack announces all of that, last keynote left I think.

Edit: nope.

Everyone there did get a GearVR... but no phone to power it.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
The showdownvr unreal demo is now freely available, you have to jump through some hoops to get it working but it is worth it.

Siliconemelons

I want to wonder around the enterprise D in VR...that would be awesome.

Did they announce the consumer oculus?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
developers are getting better at making stuff that doesn't induce projectile vomiting. The consumer versions having higher resolution and refresh as well as better graphics cards pumping hire fps should help a lot as well.

Siliconemelons

someone should remake that game from the 90's where the big VR event came to local malls and charged people 12$ to play that game where you shot bolts at the other player- they put you in a raised platform circle thing and had your PoV on a big ol CRT so everyone would watch you wonder the technomaze searching for the other player to shoot at.

just because...VR!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Still having motion sickness issues with this?
Yes. Or rather, it's VR sickness. Motion sickness is where you feel motion but your viewpoint doesn't change (because you're reading in a car or something). VR sickness is where your viewpoint changes in a virtual environment but you don't feel motion.

There are many (10+) causes of VR sickness and nearly all of them are improving with the technology and knowledge base, but it will ALWAYS be a problem with VR for many people no matter how good the tech gets and how gentle the software is.

There's also a notion of 'VR legs' where people who want to spend a lot of time in VR will have to adapt to it. I also think it will be a generational thing where adults of a certain age will never adapt to it like kids do.

On the downside there's also a VR sickness complex people get if they get too sick in VR. They will associate the smell of the device, the feeling of the goggles and everything else with VR sickness and it'll be a barrier for them. Since I started using the Rift I actually notice problems in standard displays that would make me sick in VR and I am not sick from them, but still 'triggered' from them. ex: If I see some judder in a screen it'll be really noticeable.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Oculus will cost more than $350....

When Oculus took to Kickstarter in 2012, the company sought to create the 'DK1', a development kit of the Rift which the company wanted to eventually become an affordable VR headset that they would eventually take to market as a consumer product. At the time, the company was aiming for a target price around $350, but since then the company, and the scope of the Rift headset, has grown considerably. That's one reason why Oculus Founder Palmer Luckey says that the consumer Rift headset, launching in Q1 2016, will cost more than $350. '...the reason for that is that we've added a lot of technology to this thing beyond what existed in the DK1 and DK2 days,' says Luckey.

Siliconemelons

Oculus will cost more than $350....
Yeah, added a light and a camera! Everything else is perceived upgrades in technology - the panels then for DK1, and DK2 and then Retail while each step better - are all in general the same "level" of component and with the higher than the DK(s) volume in ordering etc. the cost should actually be less- thus they could sell it at the "same" and the differing in cost is profit.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Component prices may have dropped but they have put in time on their software and I'm sure tons of R&D into not only the Rift but all their side projects like the Touch. Then there's the whole Facebook looking to make all that money they spent back. The real question is how much over $350 are we talking. Also how does it compare to similar products like Valve's offering.