Virtual Reality

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've never been nauseous from anything ever. Boats, cars, coasters, planes, 3D movies, etc. even at a young age (navy brat). I think I'm good to go. Would love to try one out though. Think they'll have any retail presence with a preview?
I hope so. The problem is, like with the 3D glasses, they'll probably take them away because of theft.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
What causes the sickness? Is it cuz of things being slightly imperfect with regards to the motion sensing and positioning? I assume it's something that can be technically overcome then.
No one knows, not even Nasa can figure it out (Even NASA Doesn??Tt Know Exactly What Causes Motion Sickness (But There Is a Way to Avoid It) | Smart News | Smithsonian).

I believe the prevailing theory is that when playing an immersive game, your body thinks you are hallucinating, due to being poisoned. Your body becomes nauseaus (sp?) to get rid of said poison.

It might be weird, but I can usually overcome it by ignoring it. NASA concurs (NASA Mind Training Tackles Motion Sickness : Discovery News : Discovery News). And the more I play a game that makes me motion sick, the more desensitized I get to it. Need for Speed on the PS4 made me puky for the first two days, and I couldn't handle 30 minute sessions. Now I can play it for hours. Watching 3D movies used to make me sick, but I've watched so many now, that I have no problem any more. Finding your "sea legs" is a thing.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
What causes the sickness? Is it cuz of things being slightly imperfect with regards to the motion sensing and positioning? I assume it's something that can be technically overcome then.
The other thing being said is that you can't have lag. It needs to be under 20 ms latency, and this includes the goggles moving in almost 1:1 correctness. Also, I believe they are saying over 75 fps minimizes it also.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There's primarily three things that cause VR sickness (not motion sickness!!): technical errors, design issues and a disconnect between what you see and what you feel.

The technical errors are numerous and VR experiences getting even one of the following elements wrong are enough to turn something positive into something you don't want to spend a second doing.
1. FPS not locked at the native display's refresh rate (90hz for CV1 and Vive).
2. Screen tearing.
3. Judder
4. Smearing
5. Latency
6. Lack of head tracking (The load screens in HL2 just freeze the display, so when you hit them in VR it's best to remain 100% still because when you move your display doesn't change and it's hugely nauseating, lol).
7. Low field of view.

You have to nail these 100% or it's like getting a sandpaper handjob.

VR experiences generally have to be designed for VR and there's a few things they need to avoid sickness. AChieving presence is a different matter.
8. Solid frame of reference, Ex: a nose, or a cockpit, or having the player be seated in a chair. Anything to get a constant frame of reference in the user's field of view.
9. Avoiding certain types of motion. Fast motion is bad.Lateral motion is bad. Backward motion is the worst.
10. Moving the player when they don't request it. Ex: Those cut scenes where the camera slides around.

The disconnect between what you see and feel is basically a user dependent and trainable problem. It can be solved technically by having calm VR experiences. Ex: seated ones where the user doesn't move. Sightline: The Chair is a good example of this. Roller coasters are the worst example of this. Like Lyrical says, nobody knows exactly why this occurs, but the poison theory fits well and may as well be true as far as VR is concerned. Most VR enthusiasts go through a VR training period where they get their "VR legs". It's important to note that VR sickness isn't something you can just harden up and muster through. Trying to force yourself into playing after you feel sick can cause you to mentally associate VR with sickness. This also happened with the foam in the DK2 which has a non-offensive but noticeable odor. A lot of people who got very sick with the DK2 now get sick when they smell it, lol.

One interesting note is that it's possible folks like Agraza who don't get motion sickness may be more susceptible than average to VR sickness and visa versa. This is based on circumstantial evidence where a lot of people who get motion sickness easily report not getting VR sickness and folks who never get motion sickness get VR sickness.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Bottom line: Like I said before, if you want to get in on VR as a user, just wait for CV1. Right now the user experience is subpar because the SDK is constantly changing, so you can't easily run through all the historical demoes and games that folks are playing.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bottom line: Like I said before, if you want to get in on VR as a user, just wait for CV1. Right now the user experience is subpar because the SDK is constantly changing, so you can't easily run through all the historical demoes and games that folks are playing.
I'm a little skeptical it's coming out in Q1 of next year.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sure, it might slip. They're trying to mass produce a new product that is full of brand new parts. I doubt it'll slip beyond Q2 though.

And as we approach the CV1 release the value, support and available experiences for the DK2 will probably continue to diminish because no one will want to spend time polishing for a soon-to-be-deprecated platform.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm afraid I might not do well with these things. I have never been motion sick in my life but I nearly barfed in both the Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield. Cloverfield even made me sick watching it on a 42" TV after a while. I have also gotten sick playing half life.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sure, it might slip. They're trying to mass produce a new product that is full of brand new parts. I doubt it'll slip beyond Q2 though.

And as we approach the CV1 release the value, support and available experiences for the DK2 will probably continue to diminish because no one will want to spend time polishing for a soon-to-be-deprecated platform.
Won't the DK2 be compatible with the CV1?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Not necessarily. There will be changes made to the API that the DK2 won't be able to take advantage of so it will really depend on developers making their software backwards compatible. Something I doubt they'll bother with much past the first generation of software (That was likely developed on the DK2 in the first place). I'm not really telling you NOT to get the DK2 if you really must have it pronto. Just be aware that your 350 dollar toy will be fading into obsolescence within a year. If you have the 350 to drop and it doesn't bother you all that much then by all means have fun. If 350 is a major purchase for you then I would suggest waiting for the more definitive (and longer lasting) experience the CV1 will offer.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Won't the DK2 be compatible with the CV1?
I don't think OVR has said it won't be, but I imagine they'll drop compatibility with the DK2 as soon as they can. Not only should they not spend any effort or money ensuring backwards compatibility with a devkit, but they really don't want people running around using what will be a vastly inferior and unpolished option.

For you, $350 isn't a big cost, but in terms of time it's not worth it. The only reason to get a DK2 now is if you're an enthusiast and want to see the VR sausage getting made, or because you're a developer and want to build up to the upcoming CV1/VIVE release. Seeing all the cool VR stuff going on and being left out shouldn't be a concern. It's not like MMO betas where it's fun exploring the world the first time with other people exploring it for the first time. The best is yet to come by a wider margin than we're used to as gamers.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
For you, $350 isn't a big cost, but in terms of time it's not worth it. The only reason to get a DK2 now is if you're an enthusiast and want to see the VR sausage getting made, or because you're a developer and want to build up to the upcoming CV1/VIVE release.
350 isn't a big cost, it's the 600 on Ebay that is. I go to the developer's site, and they won't accept payment on one, so apparently you can't but them any more.

If it's not going to be compatible with the CV1 games, I'll just wait.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Diving into this thread late, but I had the chance to use both Morpheus and Oculus last year at Tokyo Game Show, and Playstation VR at this years show. Of the two, I much prefer the Sony VR - I remember thinking when I was using it that this was what I was waiting for when I was a child.

If only they were releasing it for PC. At least it's going to be fairly cheap.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Diving into this thread late, but I had the chance to use both Morpheus and Oculus last year at Tokyo Game Show, and Playstation VR at this years show. Of the two, I much prefer the Sony VR - I remember thinking when I was using it that this was what I was waiting for when I was a child.

If only they were releasing it for PC. At least it's going to be fairly cheap.
Why the VR? Doesn't the Oculus have higher definition? Reviews I'm reading of the VR is that the graphics are really dumbed down. Also, did either make you queasy?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Why the VR? Doesn't the Oculus have higher definition? Reviews I'm reading of the VR is that the graphics are really dumbed down. Also, did either make you queasy?
Neither made me queasy, but the Playstation VR game I played was called "Kitchen" and it didn't have any motion in it.

The Playstation VR was much more comfortable to wear, felt lighter, to the point where I felt I could wear it for several hours without a problem, and when I use the Oculus I'm hyper aware that the vision is coming to me to each eye seperately, just gives a sense of.. unrealness. The Playstation VR blends together seamlessly for me in my vision, it's much easier to completely forget that you are using a VR system and gives better immersion.

Szlia

A company with decades of experience designing consumer products is better at designing a consumer product than a startup bought by a software company. Not that surprising really.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Makes sense. They should curate hard early on. That was the issue with a lot of original console games.
The ColecoVision, an even more powerful machine, appeared in 1982. With its port of arcade game Donkey Kong included as a pack-in, sales for this console also took off.However, the presence of three major consoles in the marketplace and a glut of poor quality games began to overcrowd retail shelves and erode consumers' interest in video games. Within a year, this overcrowded market would crash.
When Nintendo rolled out their console (1983) they said shit got to be like THIS or fuck you because the market had been saturated with games with poor performance and bugs.