Virtual Reality

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think I'm cooling off on VR. I never use my Samsung VR. I did order the Rift, but I can always take it and resell it on Ebay for double, as I'm getting mine in the first batch.

spronk

FPS noob
this is me every day

gAMZwFE.jpg

spronk

FPS noob
easy to pass on the vive at that price. and lol at job simulator being an included game... like wat

everything to me about this sends the wrong message. first its announced at some rando mobile conference in barcelona instead of something game focused, even that is botched as a press release goes out early before the actual conference announcement. Second HTC is a dying company so do I really wanna hitch my wagon there? Third its Valve, love em for steam but man they are biggest "we don't give no fucks" when it comes to anything other than DOTA and hats (steam controller, steam machines, HL3, etc). Fourth I don't really wanna deal with all the "clear the room, install the light sense" stuff - I'm old and lazy, I wanna sit and VR not dance around like I'm in footloose.

I mean, they could have announced at DICE this week or at the VRDC conf in mid March, set a $599 price point (same as Rift), and announced Half Life 3 will be the included game. Woulda been Nintendo levels of hype.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought they were going to be at $999 or higher considering they are packing in the giant controllers and the lighthouse(s?) so for me this seems like a bargain. All a matter of perspective I suppose. Plus getting a "free" rift makes buying the Vive a lot easier to swallow. And I want to be able to compare them directly.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I thought the entire hype (this time around....) for the glorious VR future was the affordable hardware and a deep and varied customerbase? They are pricing these things way outside what anyone but very early adopter and enthusiasts are willing to pay, not to mention require hardware that is quite a bit above what the typical Steam-user is running games on today.

...or did the VR focus shift from "broad customerbase" to "fanatics" sometime last year and I missed it?

(yes, Elite is a fucking dreamy experience on the OR, and I could see myself buying either system for playing that game but then I know I spend way too much on my computer already...)

Siliconemelons

I thought the entire hype (this time around....) for the glorious VR future was the affordable hardware and a deep and varied customerbase? They are pricing these things way outside what anyone but very early adopter and enthusiasts are willing to pay, not to mention require hardware that is quite a bit above what the typical Steam-user is running games on today.

...or did the VR focus shift from "broad customerbase" to "fanatics" sometime last year and I missed it?

(yes, Elite is a fucking dreamy experience on the OR, and I could see myself buying either system for playing that game but then I know I spend way too much on my computer already...)
They just loose sight of what "affordable" is and how most people really don't risk $$ on purchases like this- Samsung with tossing out free GearVRs and all these variants of cardboard for 30-90$ are where its at because people have an automatic assumption of quality, they know a phone is driving their experience and they will piddle with it, enjoy it and move on. But people spending ~1k on something they are going to be expecting more- and are they getting it? I don't know, I only used a DK1 for 10min at a trade show and it honestly looked about as good as the crap that used to be at the mall and at Disney quest... but it was just some virtual meeting app not a game or movie.

I think the main issue is "big time" VR is trying to VR-atize current and cutting edge computer games- and people are complaining at performance... what if we stepped back into 2008-2010 games/visuals and outputted smooth perfect performance on new machines? but no, people expect more?? maybe? and this is reduced in the above mentioned gear/cardboard experience.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't know, I only used a DK1 for 10min at a trade show and it honestly looked about as good as the crap that used to be at the mall and at Disney quest... but it was just some virtual meeting app not a game or movie.
No, back about 20 years ago we did it at Disney, and I got pukey as hell within 30 seconds of it. I can do VR now for hours with no issues.

Siliconemelons

No, back about 20 years ago we did it at Disney, and I got pukey as hell within 30 seconds of it. I can do VR now for hours with no issues.
I have worn progressive bi-focal glasses since 3rd grade something that can make people wheezy and adjust - also I LOVED my Virtual Boy and I enjoyed the DQ VR games and never got sick or anything with VR- I am mostly talking about pixle and visual quality. The weight of the old units was a factor and I will say the new ones help with that greatly with less feeling of "wearing" some giant lumbering headgear.

Mostly I look forward to getting a new phone and messing with cardboard. I hope once full production of OR, HTC, Sony etc. etc. are in full swing 6mo-year down the road headsets will be 200-300 on ebay and ill pick one up.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

That's basically what happened. Or more gently, they started out as, "Wait, if I put some lenses in front of a split screen smart phone, I get a very new and cool experience. I bet I can sell this shit for $350". And as they did more and more research they found that they could move from a "demo experience" to "something people might use everyday" for double the price.

spronk

FPS noob
some people think the kickstarter CV1s will start shipping this coming week (first week of march) as a test run but the store bought ones not until end of the month. There was a cryptic tweet by Palmer about people joining him in watching anime VR next weekend

i can't believe people are paying $500 for DK2s, crazy

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got an email this week saying my kickstarter oculus was going to ship out next week, I'll let you know if I get a tracking number. Hoping I get it in a week or two.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Order Information
Order Date: February 29, 2016
Order Number: 9482725776
Order Total: $829.00

Thank you for ordering from HTC on February 29, 2016. This email is your proof of purchase and includes your order number and a unique password to look up your order. Please note, your password will not be displayed in this email if you did not use Guest Checkout. Please use your account password for order look up. You will be receiving a follow up email that will include your shipment?s tracking number once we have sent your HTC order on its way. Once your HTC order has shipped your order will be charged to the payment method you have selected.
To look up your order, please visit:HTC America Online Store - Help
Thank you for shopping with us,
HTC.com

- the site didn't come up at 9am for me, could have been lag but it seemed like the pre-orders didn't really go online until about 9:04, I got the order in at 9:07 so hopefully in the first wave of shipments. One of the pages showed $58.08 in taxes being applied, I hope that isn't the case.