Virtual Reality

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I haven't seen any kickstarter email recently and I just logged in to their site and it shows no shipping or tracking info yet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Dude gave me a Occulus DK2 and you look at my water bottle man?

He gave it to me! How nice is that?
quick, use it this weekend, sell it and order a CV1! you'll break even!

Let us know what your thoughts are on it. My favorite demo is titans of space.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
quick, use it this weekend, sell it and order a CV1! you'll break even!

Let us know what your thoughts are on it. My favorite demo is titans of space.
Ok...This shit is crazy. TOS was awesome!!! How in the hell can people NOT LOVE this? Putting my order in for a Vive.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
This Dreadhalls is legit. Exactly what I wanted!! I can't get past the 1st room without running like a bitch!

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I finished my HOTAS table last night, now I'm ready for some Valkyrie and Elite.

rrr_img_129682.jpg

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nah it is a fire extinguisher. I keep one on each floor of the house and I thought it would be fun to paint the one in the basement blue and stick it on the front of the driving rig. I printed out some nitrox stickers from google images and it looks pretty real.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
That is really cool but when I watch these type of videos I can't help thinking about Gavin Belson and Hooli.

spronk

FPS noob
HTC Vive's are getting ready to ship out soon now. kinda disappointed that oculus may end up shipping later to early pre orders than Vive, but c'est la vie

vive5js10.png

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So is this going to be a Sony/Microsoft thing with games being released for one system and not the other? Or is VR just VR regardless of the platform?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There's a few ways it can go.

In an ideal world the big VR players will solidify the VR tech in the first couple generations, then come together to make an open platform that allows developers to easily support both HMDs.

It's a lot harder than it sounds though. The performance requirements of these systems are extremely high. Not just the processind needed to power the software, but especially the narrow tolerance for any issues with them like judder, frame drops, motion issues etc. So you can't just slap a port from one to the other together, you really have to try hard to get everything right.

This is combined with the fact that both sides are creating new technologies to push the envelope of what is possible, so it's all cutting edge hardware and software. It's not like this generation of consoles where the hardware is stuff we had in our PCs 3 years ago.

In the next couple gens both Valve/HTC and Oculus really need to focus on their technologies and give standards and universalism a back seat.

To me it's obvious that Valve wants a piece of the VR store pie, and Oculus/facebook does too. How that plays into cross-platform support is unknown.

rinthe_sl

shitlord
BTW: Anyone here getting a VIVE?
I don't know. I was thinking of getting one.

I've jsut started to look into vr. Is it pretty much down to the Rift or Vive? From a compete lack of knowledge point of view, I was thinking Vive because fuck facebook.

rinthe_sl

shitlord
Maybe I shoudl just wait a bit and see what AAA games come out and go from there... Need to upgrade PC for it anyway.

I remember the days when I was excited to get parts to build a pc. Now I've had parts for a basic work desktop sitting in a spare room for 6 months because I've been too lazy to put it together...
I think next time, I'm getting someone else to do it.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think you might be in for a wait looking for AAA games for the VR crowd, at least for the immediate future. Adoption rate isn't going to be silly high ($600 usd entry level) and that isn't including having a medium high/high end PC by modern standards to make use of it. If there -are- AAA games available in the near future, I would expect a -much- higher pricetag than $59.99. The adoption rate + development costs are going to make that a slowly expanding market until the price of the headsets drops by roughly half.