Virtual Reality

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have had the Vive for two days now, ordered it blind having never tried any VR before. Really impressive, you really do lose yourself in it. The zombies in HordeZ look lifesize, scared the crap out of me when one snuck up from behind. Also tried Holopoint which can get your heartrate up with all the dodging.

Sort of waiting for that one killer app though, so far it seems it's mostly games that are fun for 15 minutes, but nothing you can really play for longer.

I'm running an i5 3570K and a 970 and everything runs fine, have not noticed any slowdowns. Have had no issues with motion sickness, even using regular old WASD-style movement. The only thing that gets me queesy is if the camera rotates on its own.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, at this point we're at the cutting edge of this tech, so it's a lot like beta testing(especially in the software area). As much as I love my Vive, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't very tech savvy and used to buggy shit.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Unless you need the PC for something else in the meantime, don't buy parts until you're ready to get everything (video card and Vive).
Didn't listen, ordered the Vive anyway thinking it was still on backorder for a few weeks. It arrives Friday, and the new PC isn't even ordered yet.

Dammit.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Didn't listen, ordered the Vive anyway thinking it was still on backorder for a few weeks. It arrives Friday, and the new PC isn't even ordered yet.

Dammit.
Bastards! The Canada shipments for early April are just going out now. It was a total cluster fuck as they were just mailing them out randomly and a bunch of people who ordered in May got orders before people who ordered in March. Lots of people after me have gotten theirs already :/ Hopefully mine will ship today or tomorrow but I'm not holding my breadth.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Hmm, any Vive users should check out Waltz of the Wizard - it's essentially a tech demo, but it's free and it's a *very* good tech demo.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm, any Vive users should check out Waltz of the Wizard - it's essentially a tech demo, but it's free and it's a *very* good tech demo.
Thanks, that was an awesome experience. Seems like a good first thing to show people too.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Got my Vive yesterday and it's fucking awesome. I don't have much new to add that hasn't already been said but I've had a couple people try it so far who aren't gamers in any sense and they've taken a real liking to it. I think that comes down to how natural the controls are and easy it is to just "get" what you need to do. I have to admit that the hardware does feel a bit like a beta test, as I had a terrible time getting the helmet and controllers to sync and track initially and a couple snafus where the floor level shifted up to waist height. I don't think I could recommend purchasing one to anyone who isn't technical.

I've got to applaud HTC/Valve on the durability of the controllers+helmet though, they've both taken a couple serious hits so far and not a single mark on either one.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, it's definitely one of the highest quality demos out there. Is there anything beyond the 8 spells and 3 snow globes to discover?

velk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, it's definitely one of the highest quality demos out there. Is there anything beyond the 8 spells and 3 snow globes to discover?
I didn't find anything, although there's a few random entertainments that pop up in the main room, try hitting the guy with the lantern with a fireball ;p

Siliconemelons

I didn't find anything, although there's a few random entertainments that pop up in the main room, try hitting the guy with the lantern with a fireball ;p
is that the RPG made by 1 guy that was talked about a few months ago? where you fought a giant skelly etc.? I think by the time I get my new office room ready and a machine that can support a "real" VR headset it will be ready for some nice games.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
is that the RPG made by 1 guy that was talked about a few months ago? where you fought a giant skelly etc.? I think by the time I get my new office room ready and a machine that can support a "real" VR headset it will be ready for some nice games.
That's Vanishing Realms, another very cool(if very short) game. It's like VR Zelda.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Anyone with a Vive have issues with "god rays" and have any kind of solution for it? I spent a solid hour yesterday trying to fix them to no end. It seems to be some kind of internal reflection when the screen is bright inside the mask and it seriously distorts my view. It just happens if there is something bright in the game below my head, ie like a light on the floor with me facing forward makes my view distorted in the peripheral and anywhere not directly down the center. I thought I was having focus issues it's but it's really the light making the lines on the lense apparent in my vision.

Nobody else who used by headset can see it :/ It makes games like VR Pool very difficult for me to play because I can't see balls clearly unless they're dead center in front of me.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I suggest trying to move the headset up/down/left/right to see if any positioning gets rid of them for you. The 'sweet spot' on the Vive is very small, in my opinion. It's probably my main complaint about the unit. I also have the side straps fully closed(I can't make them any smaller) and still feel like I want the headset tighter on my face.