Virtual Reality

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FB also reported another top and bottom beat in their Q4 earnings today plus DAU MAU topping estimates. This is years worth of quarterly beats now. This lawsuit is chump change at this point.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Pretty cool. Would be really nice if this + wireless was standard in v2 so everyone could develop for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Building something, tossing it here while I research to see if anyone has any advice.

What I would like to accomplish is having an app on a device that can control the view of localhost VR headsets.

So lets say I have 4 people in a room all wearing VR headsets and me being the 5th with a PC/mobile device. In a pc/mobile app I would like to select particular viewers and force their VR screen view to a particular VR user.

So I would basically select VR users 1,2,3 and force them to view VR user 4's screen.

tyen

<Banned>
Have all users have the cameras and a bool that says which camera they are using, when the pc client tells the users which headset to view that one gets set as the active camera and the rest are not used.

Webrtc-p2p for network

tyen

<Banned>
I'd assume that anything that removes control from the user is a terrible idea, as the players mind and body thinks it should be able to move everything itself.

I get that, but its for a client so whatever they want i make. They want to demo VR experience for others. Not a gameplay mechanic but a presentation mechanic

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anything that turns a player's camera without them turning their head is flat out terrible and will lead to people falling over, getting sick or ripping the headset off. Definitely not thinking about buying whatever the client is trying to sell.
Slowly moving the camera can be ok for people used to VR but should be avoided for new players.

Best solution is probably to teleport the others to your desired position and use some cue to make them look in a certain direction (just having nothing much to look at in other directions can be enough)

tyen

<Banned>
its basically VR spectator for demo purposes. Im building it to where the localplayer has full control of camera rotation, but not movement when spectating.

There will be a remote control app where the master can force players to spectate a certain player.

This is for VR demo presentations.

Using Unity Networking, LAN only. Auto server creation / client join on scene load, no clacking necessary. Anyone who loads up the app either auto starts a local server or joins the existing local server.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Good to see commodization happen here in the first generation, far before a second generation comes out.

With the dollar backing the big players have it seemed silly not to sell 1st gen at a pretty major loss in order to gain market share for gen 2 and 3.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
LG to Reveal VR Headset Prototype Based on SteamVR Tracking This Week – Road to VR

Super interested to see what the performance specs of the new device are. I'm hoping for somewhere like 3840 × 2160 per eye (Rift is 2160×1200).
GDC 2017: Hands-on With LG's SteamVR Headset

Nevermind... it's in the same ballpark as the first gen

• Two panels (one for each eye) with a resolution of 1440 by 1280 each
  • OLED display from LG
  • 3.64 inches diagonal
  • 90 Hz refresh rate

Still, the more competitors the better. I hope one of them goes 4k per eye soon so we can see how it looks.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm hoping the new Vive headstrap comes out next month. They said Q2. I had a bunch of people over our place Saturday night and everyone was playing the Vive. Drunken Bar fight is hilarious when it's an 8 year old playing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's significantly higher res than the Vive. Vive panels are 1080x1200 each.
ah yeah, I misremembered. I'm looking forward to hearing what people have to say about it with 30% more vertical lines.

But I'm still thinking it won't be good enough for me until it's at 4k per eye.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Nice to see it increment, but yeah, looking forward to higher res HMDs.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Would love jump into VR myself, but really need the tech to improve to a point where you aren't wearing a suitcase on your back to be cord-free.