Virtual Reality

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Anyone been on a VR coaster? Apparently the coaster at the NY NY here in Vegas is getting the VR treatment.

Example:

I went on one at Six Flags Magic Mountain. It was pretty cool but didn't last too long. They were using Gear VRs and several were borked when I rode it. The last time I went they weren't using VR on the coaster. My guess is it is probably expensive to keep replacing VR sets.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
What kind of computers and shit do y'all need for the VR stuff? I only have a MacBook Pro, and a Xbox One.
Which MacBook pro? I'm using a 2017 15 inch with a 1080 external GPU and pretty happy with it.

Pretty much only way you'll get it on a Mac is with USB-C and an external GPU.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
4jjb2J4.png

Buy Samsung Odyssey Windows Mixed Reality Headset with Motion Controllers - Microsoft Store

Siliconemelons

Even the HP headset is listed @ 90mhz and 1440 x 1080 per eye...

Anyone used one of these things? On paper they look better than the currently available offerings.

Siliconemelons

Those specs legit? Am I missing something?

Yeah, thats what I am getting at - the entire catalog from cheap acer/hp to the more $$ samsung etc versions all outpace current VR offerings in resolution - bigly also windows being steam compatible and streamlined the "setup" process... windows could be ushering the next phase here.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I tell myself I'm fine with my Vive, and then watch a video of them plugging it in and no Lighthouse setup and I'm like .... fuck.

Super interested in impressions once these are out.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I tell myself I'm fine with my Vive, and then watch a video of them plugging it in and no Lighthouse setup and I'm like .... fuck.

Super interested in impressions once these are out.
The tracking won't work as well as VIVE, not yet. And it probably doesn't have to.

I heard the samsung VR headset even works in front of mirrors which is really cool.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Talos Principle VR is now out. It's the same game as the original but rebuilt for proper VR support. There's a host of locomotion options, the interface works properly, no scale issues etc. I've already put a few hours into it and it's nice to finally have something that feels like a proper game and not a tech demo.

If you already own the original there's a discount for the next week or so.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Put on a vive the other day. Screens look like dogshit.

VR is stupid.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

No way in hell would I give them money but if they pull it off will be interesting. Not really 8k but it does have 2x4k displays.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
A kickstarter? Far more likely one of the companies already in the game will release a headset with 4k displays first. Samsung's just released headset for Windows is 2880 x 1600, their next iteration could be 4k.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is that the VR company that Chris Roberts founded to create specialized goggles for Star Citizen?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Finally got to try a Vive this weekend, that thing is awesome. If they go on sale this Christmas I might pick one up.